More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Leak wrote:(EDIT: of course, since FPF wrote about his brother's books earlier I should probably also mention that his wife Linda Sejic is currently drawing a Honor Harrington series...)
And it's not very good - well, the art is okay, though some elements are a little wonky to my mind, but the way they've mutilated the story line - at least based on the three issues Baen Books sent me in digital form - is Very Not Good.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Leak wrote:(EDIT: of course, since FPF wrote about his brother's books earlier I should probably also mention that his wife Linda Sejic is currently drawing a Honor Harrington series...)
And it's not very good - well, the art is okay, though some elements are a little wonky to my mind, but the way they've mutilated the story line - at least based on the three issues Baen Books sent me in digital form - is Very Not Good.
I have decided that the norm when any narrative art is copied from one medium to another, what you can rely on having copied (although not necessarily accurately) is a few major characters and the general setting. Anything else is chancy at best.

This even includes when the narrative art is copied from novel text to cover art and back-cover blurb...

That said, some modification is generally necessary. It's a choice between being true to the original knowing that the result won't be good, and doing something that actually works in the new medium.

(One of the smartest moves I've ever seen in this regard was in The Neverending Story. The movie only does about a quarter to a third of the book. That portion of the book is pretty good - and what minor variances there are between the two media, either way makes sense. The remainder of the book is quite dull.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Does it differ from the book drastically? Honorverse is probably his only series I did not care for, and I was told folks either adored it or ardently dislike it.

I just cannot seem to get into that series no matter how many times I try.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:
Does it differ from the book drastically? Honorverse is probably his only series I did not care for, and I was told folks either adored it or ardently dislike it.

I just cannot seem to get into that series no matter how many times I try.
The timeline has been radically altered - it begins at a point several books is (with a series spoiler in the setting) then goes to a badly-structured flashback to the beginning.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

The only book-to-comic conversion I ever liked was Phil Foglio's rendition of Bob Asprin's MYTH series. It was an accurate rendition of the storyline, and Phil's take on the artwork was simply too hilarious for words.

Honor Harrington is (pretty much admittedly, by the author) Horatio Hornblower In Space, with the serial numbers filed off. If you like that kind of thing, it's pretty good. He doesn't delve into Tech Talk too much, and when he does, it is generally relevant, which is a refreshing change from the typical Space Opera genre. Sure, the main character is a Mary Sue, but then, it's kind of a prerequisite for this style of writing. And to be honest, the later Harringtonverse offerings that don't offer the title character as the main character don't fall prey to that (For which I believe we can all thank Eric Flint, another of my favorite authors, for creating Victor Cachet, the only man who can rival Miles Naismith Vorkosigan in improvisational implementation of insanity).

I do happen to like the Safehold series. The underlying story reminds me strongly of Armageddon Moon, though.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I've noticed that a lot of characters in his books seem to be "high society" types, with whom I can't really relate.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Something I just noticed:

I live further south than our resident Sgt. Howard.

That explains the sound of Dueling Banjos I hear when I go into work...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Something I just noticed:

I live further south than our resident Sgt. Howard.

That explains the sound of Dueling Banjos I hear when I go into work...
I'm an hour and a half south of the Canadian border- and I did not bring the Mason/Dixon line with me... but there re a LOT of banjo enthusiasts 'round here...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

My dad once told me about a pair of dueling pianists... He requested War Pigs. Apparently he was not disappointed.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:My dad once told me about a pair of dueling pianists... He requested War Pigs. Apparently he was not disappointed.
:lol:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Something I found paddling around the interwebs today. That is Sir Terry wearing the shirt...
Sir Terrys Shirt.jpg
Sir Terrys Shirt.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm sorry, but I can't help myself

Jeeze, Terry is a hairy dude. No, wait, I think that qualifies as fur.
I'm too much!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm sorry, but I can't help myself

Jeeze, Terry is a hairy dude. No, wait, I think that qualifies as fur.
Yeah, when I saw it I had a "Pratchett's a furry!" moment...

Edit: Too many T's...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I have just run across the Periodic Table of Storytelling, which is rather interesting. Beware, though, as each element links to the TVTropes website...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:I have just run across the Periodic Table of Storytelling, which is rather interesting. Beware, though, as each element links to the TVTropes website...
Whuh-oh...this is gonna eat up some time...
:P
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I damn near lost a day to that thing. I've got too much stuff to deal with to mess with TV Tropes...
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I damn near lost a day to that thing. I've got too much stuff to deal with to mess with TV Tropes...
Am I the only one that sees tv tropes and think Nope...then run away fast?

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I damn near lost a day to that thing. I've got too much stuff to deal with to mess with TV Tropes...
Am I the only one that sees tv tropes and think Nope...then run away fast?
I will set a timer to what I feel is an adequate amount of time to waste before entering the Trope Zone...