More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac »

"Our entire stock of suits knit out of spun sugar is simply ruined!!!"
Yeah, they were in the 'Nom Nom Nom' Section...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Or in the 18+ section...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:Or in the 18+ section...
(dats whut I said...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Or in the 18+ section...
(dats whut I said...)
Oh.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote:What's funny is that in the reference material I had created for my Sci fi writing (which I'd neglected for the past couple years, unfortunately) had contained compulsory military-level training for all of the able-bodied and morally acceptable citizens (as in, not criminals) during times of war.
Back in the latter half of the Nineteenth Century, The Austro-Hungarian Empire {and Germany} had compulsory military got EVERYONE - when the "called your class", your age group, you went.

Which is part of the reason that i {and Donald Trump} am here - one of my Bohemian great-grandfathers {not sure if it was the one from České Budějovice or the one from Plzn} was not terribly enthusiastic about serving in the army of an Occupying Power. {The other great-grandfather did his time - my dad thought he was in the artillery.}
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I think mandatory training wouldn't be a bad idea, if only so people wouldn't be so stupid with firearms, even if actual service was not compulsory. After all, the higher percentage of population is at least able to observe proper gun safety protocol, it would make a lot of gun-related accidents much less common. Granted, it would have the secondary advantage of being able to raise local militia much easier in times of invasion, but that's purely secondary since the odds of mainland USA being physically invaded are... laughably low.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

As far as I know, it's only happened a few times. The Revolution counts, I guess, but there was also the War of 1812, and the Border Wars, which were some skirmishes along the southern border (I think most or even all of it was in Texas, and didn't get far), as part of WW1, or during the lead up to it.

I'll have to check.

Edit: The US is also considered one of the hardest countries to invade, due to oceans on both sides, our relatively friendly relationships with our neighbors, and the added danger an invading force would face in the form of a shitload of citizens who own weapons.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Chaise Murphy

Post by Chaise Murphy »

Catawampus wrote:[
"Our entire stock of suits knit out of spun sugar is simply ruined!!!"
When I was at school, one of my classmates, arguably the best-looking girl in class (she signed my yearbook "Sexy Suzy"), had a bathing suit consisting of a series of wide straps held together by a glass ring over her navel.

Another classmate borrowed the suit for a weekend beach trip. I don't know if there was an actual trip, but there was a conspiracy of three or four people. One, who got high marks in sewing class, carefully unpicked the stitches holding the ring in place, and passed it to another couple who had actually paid attention in chemistry class. They made a mold of the ring and cast a replacement in water glass, which the seamstress then sewed back into the suit.

The borrower returned the suit just in time for Suzy to wear it in our next swimming class...

Ah, school days.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Well, sunrise this morning consisted of the eastern horizon being a mass of blazing golden clouds with dramatic sunbeams shooting out of them, and the western horizon being dominated by a big super-bright triple rainbow. Omens for the rest of the day, perhaps. . .but foretelling what? (Probably that within less than twelve hours the sun will set, or something such as that).
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Don’t suppose you took a panoramic photo, huh?
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Chaise Murphy wrote:Another classmate borrowed the suit for a weekend beach trip. I don't know if there was an actual trip, but there was a conspiracy of three or four people. One, who got high marks in sewing class, carefully unpicked the stitches holding the ring in place, and passed it to another couple who had actually paid attention in chemistry class. They made a mold of the ring and cast a replacement in water glass, which the seamstress then sewed back into the suit.
"Circle 'round the campfire, children, and I will tell you the tale of Sexy Suzy and Silly Kate."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Don’t suppose you took a panoramic photo, huh?
No. I did take a few photos when I got to a place with a more open view, but didn't do anything fancy with them.
Attachments
East.jpg
East.jpg (91.75 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
West.jpg
West.jpg (146.56 KiB) Viewed 7739 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well Done Photomon,

PS- http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/om-nom-nom-nom re: sugar-spun underwears & bathing suits... ( and Tina in general...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wooooaaaahhhh
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:I think mandatory training wouldn't be a bad idea, if only so people wouldn't be so stupid with firearms, even if actual service was not compulsory. After all, the higher percentage of population is at least able to observe proper gun safety protocol, it would make a lot of gun-related accidents much less common. Granted, it would have the secondary advantage of being able to raise local militia much easier in times of invasion, but that's purely secondary since the odds of mainland USA being physically invaded are... laughably low.
There's a very, very, long list of reasons and steps why people became stupid with firearms, and most of them date back to Prohibition, and the advent of the US terror squads, aka Treasury Agents and BATF. Keep in mind that the Federal government also works very hard to define any local militia training group as 'terrorists', add the constant media hammering of firearms as magical death machines that twist the mind of anyone who comes close, and you end up with a tradition (now) of avoiding even talking about guns to children - other than the "They should only be in the hands of the police to protect you." Mind you, "When seconds count, they're minutes away."

The reason for the 2nd amendment was very clearly stated in the Federalist papers and various arguments at the time of inception. It's there, not simply for invasion, but so that the citizens can overthrow their government (again) when/if it becomes abusive. And that's also why those in power want the guns gone - because they want to stay in power without any threats to their thrones. *shrug*
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, sadly some folks just can't wrap their head around the fact that the colonies were invaded by their own military, under orders from their own government, because the king wanted the colonists to pay for a war.

"Oh, you're such an idiot, nothing like that will ever happen again!"

Just because something happened one time, a long time ago, doesn't mean it can't happen again. And while there are plenty of countries that have banned guns without becoming totalitarian, as far as I know, every country that has, started by disarming the people, so they couldn't revolt.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

One of the local ISP's has started running some ads on the radio, where they proudly announce that they offer speeds of up to 100 megabits per second.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:One of the local ISP's has started running some ads on the radio, where they proudly announce that they offer speeds of up to 100 megabits per second.
I finally ditched my DSL connection about six months ago... they couldn't provision me anything more than 3 megabits/second down and 768k up.

Got a fiber connection from the three-letter outfit.. 100 megabits, bidirectional, for only about $15 more than I'd been paying for DSL. For another $10 I could have had gigabit, but nothing in my house past the firewall is wired up to handle a gigabit connection and I simply couldn't use that much bandwidth.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I have exactly one device on my current Wi-Fi that uses the 2.4 MHz connection. Everything else connects to the 5.0.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Catawampus wrote:One of the local ISP's has started running some ads on the radio, where they proudly announce that they offer speeds of up to 100 megabits per second.
(I'm temped to divide that by 8...)