More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Cottage cheese: coarse grind black pepper, salt and paprika.

Yummie.

Apparently from the Bohemian side of my family.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I bought a grill this morning. We just had steaks and pork chops. The steak damn near fell apart from just my fork.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:36 pm .22, if you're good enough for head shots, is great for that sort of thing. Leaves the pelt and most meat intact. Mind you, if you're going to do that, just use a pellet gun. They're not exactly known for being tough (not like possum, which requires a 30-30 to get a heart shot)
I know a guy who tried squirrel hunting for dinner using .44 magnum HP rounds. Technically, he was successful in that he did indeed shoot the squirrels. . .
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 am I know a guy who tried squirrel hunting for dinner using .44 magnum HP rounds. Technically, he was successful in that he did indeed shoot the squirrels. . .
Hmmmm... a bit like a point that came up in a Multiverse webcomic recently.... "hamburger" equated to "cow slurry".
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

In my experience, squirrel is too bitter and full of tannins from their diet, and not enough comes from each animal to be particularly worth the effort of hunting them specifically. When I was homeless, if any of my deadfall traps got a squirrel, I’d eat it (mainly in stews with potatos and carrots), but I never bothered shooting arrows at them. One, they’re twitchy little bastards, and two, some of the hardwoods in the forest I was holed up in could dull the bejeezus outta my cheap arrows.

Never shoot at crow for another reason:

They’re smart.

The flock will remember you, and they can make life hell if they want. I was fortunate enough to know better before I was homeless, but I met a guy who essentially lost the ability to hunt in his neck of the woods because he once shot a crow, and their warning cries would warn the other animals of his presence. They’d also poop on him a LOT.

I didn’t have the knowhow to properly clean and butcher a deer, and my bow wasn’t powerful enough to reliably kill one anyway, so I didn’t try for them.

Rabbits are your best bet, IMhumbleO. They’re skittish but not nearly as twitchy as squirrels, they meat up pretty well on all the gardens and such, and though they are gamey, they aren’t nearly as disgustingly bitter as the squirrels I’ve eaten. You just have to watch out for protein poisoning with them - they have almost no fat, so make sure to have a source of fat and/or carbs when eating lots of rabbits.

My homeless diet was mainly centered around buying starches, fats, fruits, and veggies on the cheap or getting them for free after farmers’ markets closed, and then killing all of my own meat - mainly rabbits and bluegill from a nearby lake. I was never good enough to catch bass.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Squirrel hunting story -- Some friends were discussing what type of dogs were best for which type of hunting - pointers, retrievers, etc. One guy popped up with the best dog for hunting squirrels was a.... Chihuahua! And why, you ask?

Seems the frantic little yap hounds just can't keep their cool anywhere near a squirrel, and bark their little hearts out with lots of jumping and other such noisy activity in the leaves. Squirrel, of course, hears the voice of doom coming for them and runs up the tree to hide. But -- curiosity takes over, and it will look around the trunk or branch to see what they were running from. When they discover they scooted half way up a tree to avoid a noisy little nothing the size of a coffee can, they just have to come back down and scold it. So, down they come to the end of the nearest branch, just out of reach of the now apoplectic Chihuahua which is on the verge of having a stroke by this point.

And now you have your shot. Dog shrieking at squirrel four feet away on a just-out-of-reach branch, squirrel perched on end of the branch scolding the dog, and you getting an unobstructed bead on a near stationary target low to the ground.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The tooling guy at work said that it's best to have someone who knows how to cook squirrel show me how to cook them, otherwise I wouldn't like the meat.

But all night I've been thinking about trying to get a rabbit some time this week, preferably before Thursday (or maybe Thursday morning), and having rabbit stew or roasted rabbit for Thanksgiving.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

This time of year, the only animal trails you’re likely to see are those made by deer and other heavy animals - leaf litter tends to cover up the trails made by smaller critters unless they’re high-traffic, and that doesn’t happen too often without some kind of bottlenecking topography.

That is, unless you’re very good at tracking and have the time to invest in that effort. I’d look for bits of floof from their fur caught on twigs, and pay attention to mudpots and soft surfaces like that.

You’ve got varmint firearms, so that’ll make things a lot easier, you likely won’t have to depend on traps. Really just depends on your local rabbit population and how active they are. The rabbits where I was camping were pretty relaxed about humans, so they were pretty easy to observe and hunt, but I don’t know what kind of area you’re in. If they’re real skittish, I would just make a shitload of deadfall traps and turn it into a numbers game.
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, I was gonna go to the mountain, because there's not a lot of leaf litter at all in the yard around the house, and there's rabbits all over the place.

However, I may not actually go, because I may or may not have slept on a nerve again, because my left hand, wrist, forearm, and a small area of my back are hurting. My hand is the worst, though. I think I've mentioned being left handed, but I shoot right handed, so I have no idea if the weight will be too much.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha! Here's an oddly interesting quote (as always, from my wallpaper changer):
“Real punks help little old ladies across the street because it shocks more people than if they spit on the sidewalk.” - Unknown
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 am Ha! Here's an oddly interesting quote (as always, from my wallpaper changer):
“Real punks help little old ladies across the street because it shocks more people than if they spit on the sidewalk.” - Unknown
So what if you help little old ladies who want to spit on the sidewalk?
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 am Ha! Here's an oddly interesting quote (as always, from my wallpaper changer):
One i ran across years ago:
"Animal Rights" activists harass women in fur coats on the street because it's safer than hassling bikers in leathers.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Being kind is punk as fuck.

Nothing sticks it to The Man more than caring for your fellow man.

Unions, grassroots, democratization, cooperation.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Harken thee, young squire, to immersion in one Woodie Guthrie
('He frequently performed with the slogan "This machine kills fascists" displayed on his guitar...')

This land was made for You & Me

And of course there are Pete Seeger (& Joan Baez I suppose [he said, sentimentally]),

but let us not forget Utah Phillips... https://www.azquotes.com/author/17809-Utah_Phillips

I guarantee, that if I am elected, I will take over the White House, hang out, shoot pool, scratch my ass, and not do a damn thing . . . Which is to say, if you want something done, don't come to me to do it for you; you got to get together and figure out how to do it yourselves. Is that a deal?
Utah Phillips
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

“This Machine Kills Fascists”

Clever.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(I posted something like this, elsewhere...)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...riday-morning/

Starliner set for its historic debut flight on Friday morning...

We might not all have 'Flying Cars' yet, as we were promised, but we (hue-mons) are still making Space Ships.

AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:03 pm (I posted something like this, elsewhere...)

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019...riday-morning/

Starliner set for its historic debut flight on Friday morning...

We might not all have 'Flying Cars' yet, as we were promised, but we (hue-mons) are still making Space Ships.

Carrying "Rosie the Astronaut"...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I found out Monday afternoon that the reason my mom was home early on Friday was because she lost her job. She had been working for the state for nust over 26 years.

So this may or may not put a slight damper on my plan to pay off my car loan and then start saving a bunch of money so I could go to trade school in the fall.

Granted, I have offered to help with bills in the past, and they kept telling me they don't need help (though they would also later bitch at me for not paying any of the bills).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, Damn...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:35 am Granted, I have offered to help with bills in the past, and they kept telling me they don't need help (though they would also later bitch at me for not paying any of the bills).
Suggestion (ignore it if you prefer): go around them. Take proof that you live at the same address, go to the electric company (and/or the gas company if applicable), get the account number and the average monthly bill amount. (You can get the same info from the current bills, if you can get your hands on them.) Decide how much of that it would be appropriate for you to pay, then go to your bank's website and set up an automatic monthly payment in that amount. Possibly do the same with other bills.

It'll probably take them a while to notice the change in any bills that aren't pretty much the same amount every month...

The electric bill, normally I would suggest that the amount you pay be the total average bill divided by the number of people plus one. The "plus one" because the house itself consumes a certain amount of power just sitting there fully ready and suited for occupation, whether one person lives in it or five. However, current circumstances aren't normal, so do what seems reasonable to you.