More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:57 pm "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."

Or the container. Or the surface the container rests upon. Or the air around it all. Or the room the table is in. Or the building the room is in. Etc, etc.

When people tell me I'm part of the problem because I'm not part of THEIR solution, I ask them about the newborn baby somewhere in the Maldive Islands nursing at her mother's breast, and whether she's part of the problem, too.
I like that approach, and I'll remember it... thanks!

People who have that absolute/binary a picture of the situation, are simply demonstrating that they don't understand the complexity of the world. They don't even understand the four phases of matter (solid, liquid, gas, plasma).

So, complexity upsets them.

One could say that it gives them the vapors.

(One would, however, then need to make a donation of several of the Noble Gases to the Pun Jar. Lead on, neon... radon into the sunset).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:18 pm Image
Five yard penalty - False dilemma - first down!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Rule of thumb on litter boxes, especially with territorial cats.

One per cat, plus one. So if you have five cats, you should have six litter boxes, scattered. Reduces ambushing, and makes it more likely that the cats will continue to use the litter.

You might also try switching to a different kind of litter. If you're using clumping, try non-clumping (messier, cheaper, but larger pellets), pellets, or crystal.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

We do okay with two boxes for two cats.

But they're littermates. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:18 pm We do okay with two boxes for two cats.

But they're littermates. :mrgreen:
I would normally say "Pay the Pun Jar!"...

... but I'm afraid of just what sort of deposit you might make.

Under the circumstances and all, y'know. ;)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:59 am Rule of thumb on litter boxes, especially with territorial cats.

One per cat, plus one. So if you have five cats, you should have six litter boxes, scattered. Reduces ambushing, and makes it more likely that the cats will continue to use the litter.

You might also try switching to a different kind of litter. If you're using clumping, try non-clumping (messier, cheaper, but larger pellets), pellets, or crystal.
Yeah, we've got four boxes for three cats, and we've tried keeping the boxes separate, but I guess they weren't separated enough. I'm gonna try moving one to the laundry room, and putting a new one in a corner of the living room, to see if that helps.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:11 amYeah, we've got four boxes for three cats, and we've tried keeping the boxes separate, but I guess they weren't separated enough. I'm gonna try moving one to the laundry room, and putting a new one in a corner of the living room, to see if that helps.
Sometimes where the box is located, or whether it's an enclosed or an open box, makes a difference.

And sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, every cat I've had has had no problem with litter boxes, so I don't have direct experience with the problem.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, this is one of only two cats I recall us having that had an issue with going somewhere other than the litter box. The other cat would pee on the couch, and we think it's because she had been rescued from a hoarder's house, along with around a hundred other cats.

On a couple of unrelated notes:

I believe we are really close to being free of bedbugs, as I haven't seen a live adult in a couple of weeks, and a very small one last week (I saw something small crawling on my nightstand, and didn't actually look before squishing it).

I also ended up with an ingrown toenail last week, and it got infected, so I went to the walk in clinic and got it removed. The shots were awful as hell, but at least this time it wasn't into the end of my toe.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:41 amI also ended up with an ingrown toenail last week, and it got infected, so I went to the walk in clinic and got it removed. The shots were awful as hell, but at least this time it wasn't into the end of my toe.
I had an ingrown toe nail once, back in the early 90s... A horse had stepped on my foot and somehow twisted its hoof on it before stepping off. It made a huge blood blister underneath the big toe nail, pulling one side of the nail right out of its moorings, so to speak. A day or two later, another horse stepped on the same foot, bursting the blood blister in the process. Now the nail was loose. Going to the camp nurse's office, she pulled out the nail with some pliers.

It took a while to regrow, but when it did, it went ingrown. My big toe was so swollen from the infection, that when they tried a topical anastethic (via spray), it was not enough to make a difference. When he tried to go in with his instruments, I let out a shout such that they heard me in the waiting room! They had to anastethize via some needles. When the toenail grew again, it was about a full millimeter thick or more! Every once in a while, I have to cut it very short, because if I don't, it gets closer to the end of the toe and it becomes hard to insert a nail clipper underneath it. Even now, some 25+ years later, I'm reminded of the mishap with the horse every time I cut my toe nails...

(Just trying to encourage you, of course... ;) )
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I've decided that this is the last time I go to the dealership to get an oil change. I won't have to wait if I just get the tools and do all that myself.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am I've decided that this is the last time I go to the dealership to get an oil change. I won't have to wait if I just get the tools and do all that myself.
Now that I have my own driveway, I may end up doing that, myself. However, I will first wait and get the oil pan changed by my mechanic (he will have easier access to getting the right part - old motor, you know - and can manage if something goes wrong...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Yeah, making sure that you have the right equipment is definitely a good starting step. Making sure that you know how the process works on your vehicle is a good second one.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

re: Oil Pan work;

Have your Mech look into whether there is a Neoprene replacement Gasket for any OEM Cork/Paper one.

Less (or even No) leaks down the road...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Actually, he showed me the truck's underpinnings, while it was on the lift, and the pan itself is somehow peeling... So its structural integrity is compromised. Should I end up hitting something with it, it might pierce the pan.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Should"? Mon ami, you live in Quebec. You know, the home of two seasons: winter and road construction?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm "Should"? Mon ami, you live in Quebec. You know, the home of two seasons: winter and road construction?
No no no... I think you're mistaken: the two seasons of Québec are Winter, and July. Road construction is merely the permanent natural environment of the native orange cone...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm "Should"? Mon ami, you live in Quebec. You know, the home of two seasons: winter and road construction?
Technology has advanced enough that Winter doesn't even stop them in Canada. Ottawa is the same way.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:32 am I've decided that this is the last time I go to the dealership to get an oil change. I won't have to wait if I just get the tools and do all that myself.
Doesn't take too much. Get an oil filter wrench; it's very helpful. (big socket version). Also get a belt wrench, because some of the filters are just a smidgen different in size.

So

Oil filter wrench
closable oil pan with pouring spout.
small bag of kitty litter (for any spilled oil)
Set of basic ramps - I have Rhino Ramps, they're wider and polymer, so I don't have to worry about rusting, and it's easier to drive up on them.
Set of three funnels (so you can decant the used oil back into the 5 quart/litre jug for recycling)
Box of nitrile gloves. (blue medium weight ones are fine)
Small socket set.
bag of crush washers for the drain plug. Might be the same for the transmission fluid as well, which is a bonus.

Keep two filters on hand, and two sets of oil - otherwise you'll forget and try to change your oil and go "Ooops".

Initial investment will probably hit $200, including oil and filters, but most of the tools you'll use for years, if not decades.

Make sure of who will take the used oil nearby.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:41 am
I believe we are really close to being free of bedbugs, as I haven't seen a live adult in a couple of weeks, and a very small one last week (I saw something small crawling on my nightstand, and didn't actually look before squishing it).
Glad to hear it. Hope the DE helped. I know I've been finding dead cockroaches that look like they came through one of the crevices I 'seasoned'.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Bookworm wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:14 pm
Doesn't take too much. Get an oil filter wrench; it's very helpful. (big socket version). Also get a belt wrench, because some of the filters are just a smidgen different in size.

So

Oil filter wrench
closable oil pan with pouring spout.
small bag of kitty litter (for any spilled oil)
Set of basic ramps - I have Rhino Ramps, they're wider and polymer, so I don't have to worry about rusting, and it's easier to drive up on them.
Set of three funnels (so you can decant the used oil back into the 5 quart/litre jug for recycling)
Box of nitrile gloves. (blue medium weight ones are fine)
Small socket set.
bag of crush washers for the drain plug. Might be the same for the transmission fluid as well, which is a bonus.

Keep two filters on hand, and two sets of oil - otherwise you'll forget and try to change your oil and go "Ooops".

Initial investment will probably hit $200, including oil and filters, but most of the tools you'll use for years, if not decades.

Make sure of who will take the used oil nearby.
Newspaper is also handy. Spread several sheet layers under the oil pan in case of dribbles or splashes that get over the side. I would also use a section as a funnel/chute on a vehicle I had where the oil filter was positioned horizontally on the side of the engine. I would tuck the paper under the filter and use spring-loaded clips to secure the paper to some adjacent hoses. Set the pan under the bottom end of the paper chute and then remove filter. Install new filter, then remove paper. Wrap the paper up and dispose of as necessary.

And keep a good grip on the plug while removing it, the gloves are handy while trying to find the plug after dropping it in the rapidly filling pan! :)

If your vehicle is older, a replacement self-tapping plug might be another good thing to have on hand. It's a bad feeling when the plug starts to get snug but then keeps turning and turning...