More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

TazManiac wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 pm 🦆 tape for the Heat shield, BIOS features disabled to stop use of second processor/core from crashing PC.

I post weirdher than usual when constrained by the tiny cell phone screen.
Ah and also ha
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My car is a bit too new for duct tape. Also, I'm gonna apply to the same olace as my brother. He says it's hard work, but it pays well. I don't mind the first part, so long as I'm actually properly taught how to do the job, but the second part is what's crucial.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hopefully, working with your brother/at the same place as he works won't be as unpleasant as working for your sister was.

Good luck!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Getting along with my sister is difficult for the rest of the family, most of the time. My brother and I are on good terms, and even then I wouldn't be likely to be working directly with him.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, if you don't; like Duct Tape, try Chewng Gum...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Split the difference and chew ducks.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It turns out that my brother will be training me at DHL, and then when my training is done, he'll be going into training for the supervisor position. He and I get along a lot better than anyone in my family does with my sister, thankfully, so I might have an easier time learning the job.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Good to hear! Good luck with the job!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

'Do that thang!'
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

As it turns out, I'm not getting the job after all, because my brother's boss wants to be a dick. After interviewing me and asking my brother if they should hire me, he went and filled all the positions, then decided to hire someone to the position he already offered to my brother, and wasn't even intending to tell him about it.

So I sent out two more job applications today, and sent a text to the guy who used to be the detail manager I was working for just a couple months ago, to see if that job opportunity he told me about is still available.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Frack.

Endeavor to Persevere...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, some potentially good news: I just finished applying to the UPS facility in Little Rock for their evening shift. The shift is only from 5 to 10:30 at night, and it's five nights a week, but I get weekends off. Also, the application concludes with scheduling an appointment for an interview and tour during the shift I would work. The downside is, it's at 8pm tomorrow night, which is a weird time, but that's okay.

UPDATE: Turns out, that was the tour, and they had us come in the next day for interviews. But, surprise, surprise, I was told they were just doing interviews, and to wait for them to call me back, and my application is considered good for a year.

Which, based on my experience so far, is code for "you don't deserve to have this job."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The craziness continues, and has reached Montreal, some time ago. Apparently, cries to defund the police have been made up here, and the police union responded in a newspaper, warning of what would happen if the police lost any of its funding, such as longer response time, rise in crime, etc (you know, logical stuff that seems to escape the mind of those crying to defund the police...)

Also, this weekend, a statue of Sir John A. MacDonald was toppled and decapitated, in Montreal. He was Canada's first prime minister, after the confederation. The people who toppled the statue, which stood in the Place du Canada, in Montreal, claim they did so because he was a symbol of colonialism... :roll:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I stopped conversation at least once this week with one sentence.

"I'm from Kenosha."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, well, well... turns out, my brother's boss realized he didn't hire enough people, and I'm at the top of the list of people they need to hire for peak season. And unlike the other guys, who would only work to the first of the new year, I would be able to stay on if I want to.

I'd be taking half of my brother's current route, apparently.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:52 am Here's some Theme Music then...

https://www.premiumbeat.com/royalty-fre ... f-the-game
After listening to it (though I think I've heard it before...), the first track in the list of similar music was Funky Stuff, by... The Lone Wranglers... Can't say I know them... must be some distant cousins, or something...

Their music's OK, I guess, but I find it an odd business decision to include a softly spoken "PremiumBeat.com" every so often, on their tracks... :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:57 am Their music's OK, I guess, but I find it an odd business decision to include a softly spoken "PremiumBeat.com" every so often, on their tracks... :P
Some would call that a churlish peasant trick... what you'd expect from a "royalty-free" link I suppose.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

As I was driving the bus, last night, I was coming up to an intersection with a dead end on one side... Cul-de-sac, as they are called in French. For a moment, I thought about the fact that this was one French expression that did cross over into English, even though it's not used all that much, at least in the States, that I know of. One example of it was a line in Randy Stonehill's song Stop The World, where it says "there's a vigilante picnic in the cul-de-sac". Then I wondered if English speaking people really knew what cul-de-sac really means... Literally, it means "butt of the bag"... But if you wanted to not be so vulgar, I suppose you could say...

Bag End???

Really? After all this time (I must have first read the Lord of the Ring novels close to 40 years ago), I just now caught on that Bilbo lived in a dead end, and it was named as such!

:lol: 8-)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

In case you don't know about it, "Shattered Starlight" (set in Montreal} is about a former magical girl who works in the "Cafe le Dead End".

Not because she wants to.

=====================

VIsualise Bob Parr in the insurance office. Okay? That was Farah at her last job before Cafe le Dead End.

And that was, pretty much, how Farah wound up in her current job.

=========================

Great comic ... but she's only managed four pages since last December.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.