More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave »

Alkylbenzenes, eh?

If that detector needs a theme song, I nominate "She'll Be Cumene 'Round The Mountain".
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Atomic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 pm Image

Ummm, yes you can.
Damn. You're right. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atomic wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:18 pm Image

Ummm, yes you can.
Btw- Those young ladies are likely Grandma's by now...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Nope! The main star was born in 1984.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it here, but I start working at DHL on Monday. I also picked up a few Dragonlance novels (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning). I don't recall ever reading the second and third, and the first one I read back in the '01-'02 school year, when I was in eighth grade.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Congrats on your new position at DHL! Currently they seem to be just about the only practical way to get shipments from overseas, so I imagine they're quite busy.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, grudgely, I admit while the math just barely works, you are most likely correct.

And Congrats!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, they weren't ready for me to start Monday, but I got the new hire paperwork done Tuesday, and my brother and I did our route yesterday and today. Fairly light, but unfortunately one of our stops was all the way down in Eudora, so we ended up not getting back to the station in North Little Rock until a little after 8:15 at night.

To make the long stretches less boring, my brother plugged his phone into the radio and we listened to Alien Theory's "Accounts of the Earth War" video series, where he tells the story of the Aliens comics of that name, according to the original version of the story.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm not sure where it was that my brother and I saw it, but yesterday we saw a tank on display while out on our route. I don't know if it was an M48 or an M60 (I didn't get a good look at it), but if I see it again, I'll try to get closer to take a picture and upload it to imgur so I can share it here, since I know there's a few folks here who are into that.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 amI don't know if it was an M48 or an M60. . .
If you're not sure which of the two it is, just split the difference and call it an M54.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Happy Green Day Everyone!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

'tanks!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Here's a photo of M54...
300px-Messier_54_HST[1].jpg
300px-Messier_54_HST[1].jpg (47.05 KiB) Viewed 7877 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Wapsi Aware; Come for the Boobs, Stay for the Heavenly Boddies.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I think next week they're gonna turn me loose with a vehicle of my own. On that route (which my brother and I will be splitting), there are actually two tanks on display, so maybe I can get a pic of at least one of them.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hope you catch a break here. 8-)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:48 am Well, I think next week they're gonna turn me loose with a vehicle of my own. On that route (which my brother and I will be splitting), there are actually two tanks on display, so maybe I can get a pic of at least one of them.
Hey, if the people who put out the display tanks were careless enough, they might be functional and you can use one of them as your vehicle! Sure, the fuel economy would be abysmal, but you'd get through bad traffic with ease.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Maybe split the difference and get a half-track?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Catawampus wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:26 am
Alkarii wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:48 am Well, I think next week they're gonna turn me loose with a vehicle of my own. On that route (which my brother and I will be splitting), there are actually two tanks on display, so maybe I can get a pic of at least one of them.
Hey, if the people who put out the display tanks were careless enough, they might be functional and you can use one of them as your vehicle! Sure, the fuel economy would be abysmal, but you'd get through bad traffic with ease.
I don't know about tanks (though my brother was trained how to drive an Abrams), but I know that an HMMWV is started using a switch, so if one is left unattended, you could probably procure it very easily. I don't know if they have tracking devices in them, though...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:16 pm I don't know about tanks (though my brother was trained how to drive an Abrams), but I know that an HMMWV is started using a switch, so if one is left unattended, you could probably procure it very easily. I don't know if they have tracking devices in them, though...
Perhaps a half-tracking device?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I am perplexed...

In the fall of 2018, the first fall in my new house, I had let myself become somewhat lax with my dishwashing... at one point, I noticed mouse droppings on the kitchen counters. I read up on it, cleaned up the rest of the dishes, and cleaned the counters with vinegar. The instances of mouse droppings stopped. And I was not hearing any noise within the walls.

Last year, I was hearing noise in the upstairs bathroom, and some critter was chewing on the soap that was in one of the bathroom drawers. One day, as I was sitting at my computer desk, I actually saw a rat come out of the bathroom and venture into the hallway. I went out and bought some rat traps, which I baited with peanut butter. Not long after, I came home to a dead rat in the upstairs bathroom. I stopped hearing noises in the bathroom after that.

This week, I started noticing mouse droppings on the kitchen counters again (yes, I had become lax in my dish washing, again...) So I cleaned the one counter (still need to finish the dishes on the other counter...), and placed two rat traps on it (having them already on hand), baited with peanut butter (I figured, if the traps are able to kill rats, they certainly should be able to manage mice...)

I came home to find the traps devoid of peanut butter, yet still untriggered... I figured, maybe the rat trap is too strong to be triggered by a mouse, so I went and bought actual mouse traps. Before going to work, I set two up on the counter, baited again with peanut butter, and left.

I came home tonight, to find out that both mouse traps have been licked clean of peanut butter, yet the traps themselves are still untriggered!