More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

I'm really hoping that the order I'm working on with my first machine isn't a big one. It isn't that I mind being busy all night (I am ahead of both of my machines, after all), it's that I have to clip the runners off (only a couple molds don't do that) and wrap these seats... Which are white. White is one of three colors we don't normally wrap in film.

The problem is that the person from first shift was far behind and couldn't handle both machines, and I really don't want to have to spend an hour catching up.

EDIT: Dunno why I originally called it my second machine, because it's actually designated as T1 (being the "first" of the toilet seat presses), and the other is T2. For those who are curious, they're both Milacron presses, T1 being a Maxima 950, and T2 being a Maxima 880.
Last edited by Alkarii on Sun May 27, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

faye.png
faye.png (30.83 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

SHUT UP!

(I didn't say anything!)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

jwhouk wrote:SHUT UP!
(I didn't say anything!)
http://prince.org/msg/7/227690

efan wrote- "So, this may be a stupid question, but I've wondered for a long time: Is the line "Shut up already...damn" one that Prince came up with or was it originally from a James Brown song? I know Housequake was heavily influenced by James, but I've read things that make it seem like Prince didn't originate that particular line (which is one of the reasons I love the song so much) and I've been curious."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Old news, but ran across this and had a good laugh:

Mr. Bean Live Performance at the London 2012 Olympic Games

At first, I thought I had not seen this before, but the beach running scene did spark some form of recognition... though I have to have seen it online, as I rarely watch TV, even for the Olympics.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The "Beach Running" scene, of course, was from Chariots of Fire.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I know that. I've watched the movie before. But the added Rowan Atkinson parts were just brilliant!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Woo! One more night of what's been a long weekend. I'd been making the Transitions seats at one of my machines, and if you've seen those, you might understand why I'm not fond of those things while I have a second machine to run. Part of the problem is that I have to build the hinges for those, and also use a pinner to put the lid on the whole thing. So either first shift will finish the order today, or I'll finish it tonight. If neither of those is the case, then Blue team should finish it before I go in on Wednesday.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

He is a King who fabricates Thrones, truly a fable for the Modern Era...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:He is a King who fabricates Thrones, truly a fable for the Modern Era...
Just be careful when warehousing them. Due to the plastic of which they are made, toilet seats are notoriously flammable. They should be stored only in fireproof buildings of concrete or brick.

Those who live in grass houses, shouldn't stow thrones.

(Places a complete DVD collection of "Fractured Fairy Tales" into the Pun Jar)
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
TazManiac wrote:He is a King who fabricates Thrones, truly a fable for the Modern Era...
Just be careful when warehousing them. Due to the plastic of which they are made, toilet seats are notoriously flammable. They should be stored only in fireproof buildings of concrete or brick.

Those who live in grass houses, shouldn't stow thrones.

(Places a complete DVD collection of "Fractured Fairy Tales" into the Pun Jar)
I am reminded of the small kingdom of Ubetchia, which became profitable after they began presenting scripted dragon battles every afternoon...

I am NOT going to repeat the punchline.

However, it involved people coming from outside the kingdom and having to walk long distances to see the fights...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I dunno why, but I kind of want to go to the liquor store up the road a piece and see if they sell mead, and possibly buy a bottle... But that would mean leaving the house again today, and I'd just got back after going out for about three hours.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii wrote:I dunno why, but I kind of want to go to the liquor store up the road a piece and see if they sell mead, and possibly buy a bottle... But that would mean leaving the house again today, and I'd just got back after going out for about three hours.
Got any Molasses around the hovel?

PS- I completely understand; I'm posting this while looking at the custard base of a batch of Home Made Ice Cream (I might not have tried this since last Century, dunno) and it's been postponed from an expected 'make date' of the holiday weekend just past.

Didn't even get my hands on heavy whipping cream 'till tonight...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'd forgotten Monday was Memorial Day, and that everyone had big sales going on, which explains why the ammunition aisle at Academy looked a bit on the bare side. I couldn't find any of my "preferred" brand, and I found that the 7.62 NATO is $5 cheaper than .308.

Good thing my rifles can shoot both.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Ice Cream turned out great...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

If I knew the recipe, I'd get everything I need to made ice cream at home. Well, that and the fact that we don't have the space for any in the freezer at the moment.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:I'd forgotten Monday was Memorial Day, and that everyone had big sales going on, which explains why the ammunition aisle at Academy looked a bit on the bare side. I couldn't find any of my "preferred" brand, and I found that the 7.62 NATO is $5 cheaper than .308.

Good thing my rifles can shoot both.
Well, maybe.

One way is safe - the other way is Not Recommended.

I think it's putting the civilian stuff in a NATO 7.62 rifle. But it might be the other way round.

It has to do with chamber design and chamber pressure - i think the .308 produces higher pressures than are recommended in rifles designed for 7.62.

{There's an analogous situation with .223 and 5.65, but the other way 'round.}

Since i'm not a shooter, i can never remember which is which.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii wrote:If I knew the recipe, I'd get everything I need to made ice cream at home. Well, that and the fact that we don't have the space for any in the freezer at the moment.
There's really no great secret to homemake ice cream; you can use eggs (yolks) for a custard-y 'French' style or leave them out in what is known as 'Philadelphia' style.

I came across a hand-churn set that uses a ‘freeze-it-first’ liner/bucket type setup and when you make your mix you pour it in the bucket, insert the impeller/crank and turn away a few times. Over the next 20 or 30 mins you crank it a few more times every few mins and sooner or later you get ready-to-eat Soft Serve. Letting it set up over night nets you ‘true’ ice cream, easy-peasey.

It really isn’t Rocket Science; a carton of Heavy Whipping Cream (or Half & Half), the same amount or more of Whole Milk, 3-6 Egg Yolks (some just toss in the whole egg, whites and all, but that adds a potential ‘eggy’ taste as well as additional moisture…), a pinch of salt and maybe a tablespoon of Vanilla Extract. Oh and about a half to ¾ cup of Brown Sugar.

Folks will try and tell you you need to ‘temper’ the eggs and or Dairy, but if you aren’t using a real Vanilla Bean, there is only one good reason to heat up any of this mixture and thats to help melt the sugar in.

I like to mix it all together and let the mix ‘rest’ in the fridge overnight- having it cold to start with also aids in the making, later.

Back in the late 70’s I used to make ice cream about once a week; back then I had an Electric model you plugged in and placed the whole thing in the freezer, with the cord hanging out and everything.

It gets really groovy when you start experimenting w/ different ingredients...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

FPF: Yeah, you were right the first time. As for the .223/5.56, it isn't recommended because of barrel pressure issues (that are actually minimal, unless the shooter is spending thousands of rounds), and something about the brass being thicker in the NATO cartridge. It's my understanding that it isn't recommended to use them interchangeably in any .223 rifle, unless it's .223 Wylde.

Though, I'm going to go with .300 Blackout for my AR-15 when I get around to finishing it. The reason for that is so I can use the same bore brushes I just bought.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:Back in the late 70’s I used to make ice cream about once a week; back then I had an Electric model you plugged in and placed the whole thing in the freezer, with the cord hanging out and everything.

It gets really groovy when you start experimenting w/ different ingredients...
Back in the mid-80s when we were {successfully} bidding to hold the 1986 World Science Fiction Convention here in Atlanta, the active bid committee members traveled to conventions all over the country hauling two or three blenders and two or three electric ice cream freezers. {I think we had about six of each at the '84 WorldCon in L.A., where the vote was held.}

We held open parties every night at the cons, and we served peach daiquiris and freshly-made peach ice cream.

{One night in L.A., another guy and i, having named ourselves the Ice Pirates, travelled up and down the service elevator that opened off our official suite, and cleaned out the ice machins in that corner of the hotel on several floors.}

================

Interesting factoid: The Anaheim Hilton has {or had, in 1984} a 13th floor. It didn't have a 10th floor.

According to one of the hotel people, it was because their phone system turned out to have problems with nmbers beginning "10xx".

So they eliminated the 10th floor, and rather than renumber all the rooms on the then tenth through twentieth {i think} floors, they simply renumbered the rooms on the tenth, eleventh and twelfth floors - and inserted the thirteenth floor the hotel originally didn't have...