More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: More Stuff

Post by Hansontoons »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Pablo's been cranking out some fantastic one-handed art. Check out Fazebooook or his eBay site for what's being offered.

Now playing on my random play- David Byrne and Brian Eno- Everything That Happens Will Happen Today- Poor Boy
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Pablo's been cranking out some fantastic one-handed art. Check out Fazebooook or his eBay site for what's being offered.

Now playing on my random play- David Byrne and Brian Eno- Everything That Happens Will Happen Today- Poor Boy
The current pinup of the GGGs almost qualifies for Rule 34 status...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm re-watching the Jessica Jones series season 1 on Netflix, before watching the newly released season 2, and heard an interesting quote:
The old guy who replaced Lucas Cage at the bar while Lucas took some time off, in episode 7 wrote:You want to know what happens when you burn a bridge? You gotta learn to swim... or fly...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Whooooo! Had a great day today. Dad an I went to the gun show with my brother; I got a 2-point rifle sling, a woodland camo tactical backpack with Molle straps on the back, a 1.5 ounce bag of python jerky (hands down the BEST jerky I'd ever had; $19.90 for that stuff), and went to an indoor range with my dad and brother. At one point, a casing I'd fired bounced off my forehead, right between my eyebrows, and I kept having brass land all over my shoulders, arms, and the folds of my shirt.

Also, not only do I suck with pistols, I'm never shooting while sleepy again. I'd been awake almost 15 hours by that point, and I goofed a couple times. The first was turning around to hand off the weapon to my dad or brother (used to shooting in the woods, where there isn't a table on which to place the gun), and the other was forgetting that I had the mag for my dad's Glock 19X (9mm), and trying to put it in my brother's Glock that was the same color, but was a .45, so I dropped the magazine to the wrong side of the table, and had to call a ceasefire. Embarrassing stuff...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

xmagicsusan.png
xmagicsusan.png (122.95 KiB) Viewed 6170 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Clearly, she doesn't approve of something.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:Clearly, she doesn't approve of something.
I, however, approve of her
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

EGS:NP?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:EGS:NP?
Yup. Energized magician honey badger Susan. I think that’s the form, at least.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:

Um, 'Wow'. you guys know too much sh!t... (you know you always get da real from me & that was my initial reaction.)

All I thought to initially comment on FPF's new avatar was 'even without true-on fishnets, babe's alright...".
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

Um, 'Wow'. you guys know too much sh!t... (you know you always get da real from me & that was my initial reaction.)

All I thought to initially comment on FPF's new avatar was 'even without true-on fishnets, babe's alright...".
...you might get a stun-hammer upside the head from her for that remark. Not sure.

All Knowledge Is Contained In Fandom.

Also, I've been called a walking encyclopedia of useless and/or extremely dangerous knowledge.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote:Also, I've been called a walking encyclopedia of useless and/or extremely dangerous knowledge.
You're just the one covering your region...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

TazManiac wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Also, I've been called a walking encyclopedia of useless and/or extremely dangerous knowledge.
You're just the one covering your region...
Citation needed.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Bookworm wrote:What I encourage people to do is to call the local NRA office and ask where they can take a free gun safety course, before they do _anything_ else. They'll at least learn the basics of what they are and aren't - that is, they aren't magical death wands that cause people to go insane. They're just tools, and are equally as dangerous as a Skil saw or nail gun.
They are tools for making holes. A small assortment of such tools (not presented in consistent scale):
ImageImage

Different hole-making tools are appropriate in different circumstances.
If there was anything I'd like to see forced, it's that EVERYONE should have to take a basic gun safety and handling class, no matter how pacifistic they are. If nothing else, they'll know how to disarm one if the time came. (Child found one, etc) I'd like to see it as part of getting a driver's license or state ID. It's not like it'd take much time. Four hours, max.
I agree. In fact I'd go for two mandatory gun-safety courses. One in kindergarten or first grade (Eddie Eagle is the currently-existing suitable program that I'm aware of), and one as a requirement for high school graduation (the safe disarming stuff you describe; and a full safe-handling and safe-shooting course for anyone not medically unsuitable, e.g. blind). The US Congress, under the Constitution, has the authority to mandate that the states provide this training: "To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia..."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

So, Superman is usually shown (whether in drawings or live action) as being a very muscular guy. But why is he so muscular? Sure, he's incredibly strong, but that's because of his Kryptonian heritage, not because he works out a lot. And working out is how you get big, bulky muscles.

This is the guy who, according to what I've heard, is strong enough to have pushed or pulled the entire Earth into a different orbit. If he can do that, then what sorts of exercises does he perform on a regular basis to keep himself looking the way he does? A Metropolis Gym membership simply isn't going to cut it.

All I can figure is that it's some sort of weird Kryptonian physiology thing. Kryptonians just naturally put on a whole lot more muscle than humans do, but it doesn't have much to do with their strength. Maybe instead of storing energy as fat reserves, they store it as muscle reserves. Either that, or it's not actually muscle. Some kind of natural subdermal cartilage body armour, perhaps.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Read this quote in the comments on the The System webcomic:
“The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel.” -Steve Furtick
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote:So, Superman is usually shown (whether in drawings or live action) as being a very muscular guy. But why is he so muscular? Sure, he's incredibly strong, but that's because of his Kryptonian heritage, not because he works out a lot. And working out is how you get big, bulky muscles.

This is the guy who, according to what I've heard, is strong enough to have pushed or pulled the entire Earth into a different orbit. If he can do that, then what sorts of exercises does he perform on a regular basis to keep himself looking the way he does? A Metropolis Gym membership simply isn't going to cut it.

All I can figure is that it's some sort of weird Kryptonian physiology thing. Kryptonians just naturally put on a whole lot more muscle than humans do, but it doesn't have much to do with their strength. Maybe instead of storing energy as fat reserves, they store it as muscle reserves. Either that, or it's not actually muscle. Some kind of natural subdermal cartilage body armour, perhaps.
He's a solar battery. His muscular system basically takes solar rays and turns them into potential energy. If we wanted to get more "realistic" about his powers, every time he punched someone, it should theoretically discharge some sort of plasma or electric charge.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Eh. It’s just energy conversion. Electromagnetic to chemical-potential (assuming he has something like ATP going on in him) then to kinetic when the muscle cells contract by burning the ATP.

Doesn’t have to discharge plasma. It should, however, generate thermodynamic waste heat, as well as heat from compressed air in front of his fist, accompanied by light as well, and sound.

And, really, all the energy eventually becomes heat.

Flash should cook himself alive regardless of friction - he is releasing huge amounts of energy, it all turns into heat. He should do it just standing still, too. His metabolism is sped up at least some multiple, if not exponentially, so his core temperature at rest should, by all rights, be well above boiling. Don’t even get me started on when he phases through solid objects.

Thermodynamics is undeniable.
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Gun control? Absolutely! If you carry a weapon, you should know how to use it safely and effectively, and when not to. Otherwise, it's just a decoration.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm very much in favour of mandatory, if rudimentary, Safety Courses.

There is a point to made of the fear of encouraging interest in something by training on it, that wouldn't otherwise have been handled or otherwise dealt with. ("He would never have even thought about Guns if they hadn't pushed that 'Training Course' on him!!!!!" <- note several breathless Exclamation Points).

I take that kind of thing into account when advocating my thoughts on the subject. And maybe I don't have all the finer points and/or ramifications worked out ahead of time, but still think it's worth working towards.

That said, it isn't just Armament Safety that should be addressed; Basic & Intermediate First Aid (helpful if for no other reason than 'First Do No Harm' ), Hand & Yard Tool Use, 'Better Than We're Doing It Now' Auto Training, including checking your fluids and tires, the list goes on.

There should be a Basic Competency Requirement, with the expectation of more-than-minimal training being one of the things Tax Monies go to.