More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

Misery, I am in you.

Oh, wait a minute... "M-I-S-S-O-U-R-I." Sorry.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Heard recently on a YouTube video, though I forget who said it:

- Do you know how to spell Mississippi?
- Sure I do! I'm not stupid! Wait, do you mean the State, or the river?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

When I got to my machines, the first shifter told me that there was very little hardware left, and nobody brought him any.

Turns out that the folks who make the hardware kits had to build some, because somehow they let the supply of that particular kit run low. Then, when someone finally brings me some hardware, I use that partial box. A little later, the same guy brings me a full box, and the label on the side matches... But after I finish my first pallet, I learn that they put the wrong hardware in the box, so now I have to go through several boxes to confirm whether or not I have the right hardware on dozens of seats.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"The Bold Look Of Kohler" :roll:
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, it turns out I didn't have to go through the boxes on my first pallet. The person who relieved me for my break checked the first box I had filled after finishing that pallet, and they all had the right hardware.

Thankfully, they were able to get me another half box of hardware, and when I finished that and had another seat waiting for hardware, they brought me a full box of the right stuff, so I'm set for the rest of my shift, aside from the large labels for my cartons.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was on vacation, this week, and was not the most productive person, during that time. I did visit a friend, and I did purchase and mail some Christmas cards, but otherwise, I mostly sat at my computer, looking up info on VPNs, while watching YouTube videos. It was relaxing, but I still wish I had accomplished more...

Yet, concerning those videos... it would seem that I was on a nostalgic streak, as I managed to find and watch many videos which I had had the pleasure to watch while growing up (see the list below). However, there is one video that eludes me (for I cannot remember the title). More problematic, for this forum, is that I can't remember whether it was in English or in French... It was the story of a young shepherd, who was in love with a girl, but the girl caught the eye of the king, who wanted to force her to be his wife. The king had a giant robot/automaton of some sort (he controlled it from within, I think), to help him capture the girl. The rest of the movie is about the shepherd trying to rescue the girl, with the help of a talking bird. I'm pretty sure they get married, in the end (the shepherd and the girl, that is...)

Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Meanwhile, here's the list of some of the videos I watched this week:
(I watched more than just those, but those are the ones that fall in the nostalgic category...)

A Cosmic Christmas:

The Selfish Giant:

Romie-0 and Julie-8

The legend of the three trees:

(This one's not as old - 1987...)
A Muppet Family Christmas:

A Charlie Brown Christmas:

The Remarkable Rocket (the video quality is not very good, but it's the only one that features the version I remember..)

The Happy Prince

The Lorax:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I can't say your synopsis rings any bells, but maybe I can find it.

Here is another for your collection, I just wish the quality was higher. Still, it's a Classic:

The Muppet Musicians of Bremen
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I remembered the title: Le Roi et l'Oiseau!

Alas, YouTube only has either snippets, trailers, two click-baits (the ones that seem to promise a whole movie, but then ask you to click on a link to go to another site, create an account, then you'll be able to watch the movie you wanted), or one that inverted the video and has crappy sound, to avoid getting caught on Copyright grounds...

Oh well...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Your movie with the King, shepherd, robot and talking bird sounds like a Rankin/Bass production if ever there was one!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Atomic wrote:Your movie with the King, shepherd, robot and talking bird sounds like a Rankin/Bass production if ever there was one!
Better that than a rank and base production. :mrgreen:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

When you have to wear an entire load of laundry to work, you should get hazard pay.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:When you have to wear an entire load of laundry to work, you should get hazard pay.
Especially if the laundry took your "extra starch" request a bit too seriously.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I wish I could set my voicemail to pickup sooner than it does. I'm tired of people calling me from numbers I don't recognize when I'm trying to sleep, and not leaving a message. Someone felt whatever their reason was for calling me had been important enough to call twice, but didn't leave a message either time. So I'll probably just wait until Friday morning after work, as I don't have to work that night, if I do at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of just writing it off as a scam like I usually do, because the area code is the same as mine this time.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of just writing it off as a scam like I usually do, because the area code is the same as mine this time.
I think that's a new scam. I get frequent calls from unknown numbers that appear to have my area code and prefix. I never answer unknown callers unless they leave a message, and these never do.

Sometimes when I google the number, it turns up a real person, but I suspect they are a former owner of the number. Or that the whole thing is a spoof, and the calls originate in Asia.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Typeminer wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of just writing it off as a scam like I usually do, because the area code is the same as mine this time.
I think that's a new scam. I get frequent calls from unknown numbers that appear to have my area code and prefix. I never answer unknown callers unless they leave a message, and these never do.

Sometimes when I google the number, it turns up a real person, but I suspect they are a former owner of the number. Or that the whole thing is a spoof, and the calls originate in Asia.
It’s a spoof. My number got spoofed and I’ve had random locals calling me ever since. I generally just explain what the situation is and tell them to block my number. AT&T says they can’t do anything about it.
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Typeminer wrote:

It’s a spoof. My number got spoofed and I’ve had random locals calling me ever since. I generally just explain what the situation is and tell them to block my number. AT&T says they can’t do anything about it.
I'm victim of same thing. Get calls from local area code, but with +1 in front of the number, always with the same prefix. Leaving no message is rewarded with block. Problem is, there are 9,999 variations to have to suffer through. Or so it seems.

Ya'll Northener types stay warm, the cold ("code" if you are from Texas) weather is supposed to affect the upper parts of the state more than the Houston area. I do have plans to travel to Austin for New Years, forecast is for snow New Years Day. Darn. Hate to have to call in to work and tell them I'll be there Wednesday, maybe! :)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Y’know... I bet there’s a seasonal business opportunity there.

Yankee drivers go south for winter, drive people through the relatively benign weather of the southern winter, then go back north.

Or maybe just stay and be Uber or Taxi Drivers or something with a “Can Drive In Snow” distinction.
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

GlytchMeister wrote:Y’know... I bet there’s a seasonal business opportunity there.

Yankee drivers go south for winter, drive people through the relatively benign weather of the southern winter, then go back north.

Or maybe just stay and be Uber or Taxi Drivers or something with a “Can Drive In Snow” distinction.
Do NOT give me a reason to load up the Defender and do just that.

"Can drive through apocalypse - $2.75/mile."
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:Y’know... I bet there’s a seasonal business opportunity there.

The only time my car got hit (not too badly) by someone who lost control in the snow in Atlanta, the guy was from Wisconsin.

He said he'd always laughed at those videos on the news of Southern drivers having all kinds of trouble in an inch or less of snow.

What he hadn't realised, he said, was that under that inch of snow was a quarter-inch of ice.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah. Doesn't help Y'all use brine on your streets.