More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha! Somebody should pass this pearl of wisdom on to Microsoft...
“The purpose of software engineering is to control complexity, not to create it.” - Dr. Pamela Zave
:P
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(just another SkyNet Tool...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

lake_wrangler wrote:Ha! Somebody should pass this pearl of wisdom on to Microsoft...
“The purpose of software engineering is to control complexity, not to create it.” - Dr. Pamela Zave
:P
AND TO FAKKIN MALWAREBYTES. Their fancy-schmancy update makes people pay for anti-exploit, draws focus away from the main functionality, and sends data to them that you have to go into the settings to turn off.

I loved their Anti-Exploit. Set it and forget it. Now I have to use Microsoft EMET, which is hilariously non-user-friendly to anyone who doesn't know enough about computers to set it up properly.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I too am very disappointed w/ Malwarebytes 3.0...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

You want idiocy try to back up a laptop disk via image using Win 10.

You can't. Not supported.

The one type of computer where you're most likely to lose the disk to catastropic failure because of handling...and you can't image it.

Thank the gods for third-party applications...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I never could figure out how to put a disk image on an external drive. Every time I did, it ended up useless. 7, 8, and 10. Also could never figure out how to get one of those nice clean bloatware-free installs of Windows to work right, either. I can do a lot of stuff with computers as long as I have access to google, but those two foil me.
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Step A:
Copy/Archive Docs, Document 3rd party apps.
Extract Win7/8/10 'serial number' (magicjellybean, etc.) Inc MS Office if applicable.

1) Do a nice clean install, (Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure),
get it activated. (using s/n, 'product ID' from step a.)

2) Transfer Data, install 3rd Party Apps.

Peasy de Easy
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote:Step A:
Copy/Archive Docs, Document 3rd party apps.
Extract Win7/8/10 'serial number' (magicjellybean, etc.) Inc MS Office if applicable.

1) Do a nice clean install, (Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure),
get it activated. (using s/n, 'product ID' from step a.)

2) Transfer Data, install 3rd Party Apps.

Peasy de Easy
Problem is, last time I did that, I started getting really whacked-out errors about dll files and drivers, that, once fixed, created several more errors about other dll files and drivers. Fractal error trees are the worst.

And, because those errors and drivers were cramping my gaming style (no Skyrim audio), I had to do it all over again, but this time, after using PC Decrapifier, I went through each and every f'kin driver and program one at a time - run SFC, if good, set restore point, update/reinstall driver/program, reboot, and repeated this process. Slow. Arduous. Mind-numbingly boring. And yet also requiring fairly undivided attention otherwise I'd forget about the whole thing, fall asleep, or get distracted by something shiny or hunger. So... Yeah. It sucked.

And I still don't know what caused those f'kin errors in the first place, except maybe doing fresh installs of programs all at once causes my computer to grow three extra left feet and trip all over itself.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Scientists discover that white rhino dung has a lot in common with a Facebook post

I always suspected, though i was thinking of something a bit less exotic and more bovine.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Scientists discover that white rhino dung has a lot in common with a Facebook post

I always suspected, though i was thinking of something a bit less exotic and more bovine.
While I am sure I would enjoy reading this article, I refuse to be blackmailed into turning off my AdBlock just to be able to access said article. :evil:

I did enjoy the title, though... :P
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Having read the article, I will comment that the information shared at a white rhino's dungpile is far more substantial and relevant in nature than a facebook post (on the average). Certainly the level of honesty is greater. And given that face to face encounters of 'posters' are far more likely to occur, false bravado and death threats are probably less prevalent.

... odd... reading poop makes more sense than reading facebook...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

1pony nina.png
1pony nina.png (44.62 KiB) Viewed 8177 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

So, I have just discovered what the results of borking up your driver updates mid-update and creating a Schroedinger's Indeterminate State where the drivers are both installed and uninstalled, preventing me from either uninstalling them or installing new ones.

I took this as an opportunity to finally get off my duff and update my OS, going from Mint 17.3 to Mint 18. And doing a clean install. Most of the files were already backed up, so I proceeded to back up my preferences, then wipe the hard drive down to the boot sector and start fresh so that no fragments lurk within my /dev or /usr/bin directories to trip me up later. Currently importing said preferences and files. Then I'll have the lovely task of re-installing every program I ever put on this machine. Joy.
AnotherFairportfan

SO, i'm working up a zine for an amateur press alliance (ask if you're interested), and i found a great pic online a while back,

And then i had an Evil Thought.

Thus:
catbox.png
catbox.png (86.91 KiB) Viewed 8162 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well done on the two Covers!

& Schneeky; one day I'm going to try Mint. I'm pretty well stuck w/ Ubuntu Studio (defaults not to crappy 'Unity' but rather XFCE as a desktop...)

I don't know if I want green accents all over the place though... ;]
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

If Mint is stuck in the Schrodinger superposition, could it be . . .

Two! Two! Two Mints in one? :shock:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Typeminer wrote:If Mint is stuck in the Schrodinger superposition, could it be . . .

Two! Two! Two Mints in one? :shock:
You should be candy caned for that...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

dian.png
dian.png (148.24 KiB) Viewed 8116 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Source?
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Source?
Her Name is Dian. She's sort-of-a-ninja...
Action, adventure, air pirates; Set in an alternate 1940s, Jackie Rose is a rip-roaring adventure story filled with excitement and fun, that still manages to tug at the heart strings
Done in "episodes" like an old serial; there are thirty-nine episodes - thirty-five make up "Season One", and we're four into "Season Two" at this point.

I binged the whole thing in one sitting.
skycruise.jpg
skycruise.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 8326 times