More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I'm relatively caught up with Questionable Content. I started reading it when someone posted the page about an earworm...

Barn fart. (that phrase still makes me chuckle.)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

And Exiern, which started out as remarkably silly fun, changed directions several times, went through several changes of artist and a couple of writer ... and, unfortunately, in its latest incarnation has art just this side of ugly and a rather dumb story line.

Note that it's been running since 2005, and there's a lot of good art and story in there before you hit the current chapter. It IS sometimes more-or-less NSFW, so be warned.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Paging Sarge: since most of the Pacific Northwest is on fire at the present time, just want to make sure everything's okay...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

We got fire to the northwest, wind and water to the south and south east... Soon, we're gonna hear about an earthquake or a landslide or something similar.

After that, zombies.

On a lighter note, I've just finished catching up in Magical Girl Neil. It's a bit of a hoot.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:I've just finished catching up in Magical Girl Neil. It's a bit of a hoot.
Is Purple Sailor Girl Gabe?
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Irma is now officially the strongest recorded hurricane since they started recording them. NOAA seems to think she's going to take an abrupt 90 degree turn north, I am not so sure about that. The front that they think is going to deflect her just isn't going to be strong enough, I don't think. They're underestimating the momentum and force of this storm system. I figure she's going to shoot the gap between Florida and Cuba and make her way into the Gulf. Odds are good she'll turn northward into New Orleans, which will cause more damage than Katrina ever did, or she'll make a beeline for Houston, who is still recovering from what Harvey did and leave nothing on Galveston Island but a sandbar, with an outside chance of pulling a u-turn and heading back up into Georgia via Tallahassee.

If you are anywhere in Florida, GTFO when (not if) they tell you to. Seriously. Depending on what direction she heads in the next couple days will determine who else needs to GTFO, but if she makes it into the gulf *anywhere*, the entire Gulf of Mexico's coastline needs to evacuate, simply from the storm surge she'll toss up everywhere. If she makes north, and you are in Georgia or Alabama, do what the people in charge tell you to. If they tell you to evacuate, then bloody well evacuate. Don't decide 'bah, we've never had to evacuate before, we'll be fiiiine', this hurricane is breaking ALL the records, do NOT underestimate it.

Regardless of where Irma ends up, she's going to flatten cities in her wake and be a historical case for years to come. At a minimum, I don't see many of Miami's taller buildings surviving 185 MPH winds, simply due to harmonic resonance literally shaking them apart, much less just bowling them over. And what isn't knocked over is very likely to be flooded by the 20+ foot storm surge. And Miami won't be the only one, just the first.

Jose is looking to follow in Irma's footsteps. I'm betting that whatever she does, he'll follow up a week or so later and finish anything she might've accidentally missed.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Alkarii wrote:I've just finished catching up in Magical Girl Neil. It's a bit of a hoot.
I saw your comment over there hinting that may be the case. I'm not sure, but it is possible. I didn't pay any attention to Gabe's features, but I imagine if several people left comments saying so, then maybe he's a match? Who knows, it'll probably lead to funny stuff happening.

(Of course, Gabe could also have a fraternal twin sister who he neglected to mention.)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The good news about Irma is the track is just off the coast, meaning the worst winds will be offshore. Since hurricane winds move cyclonically (counter-clockwise) around the eye, the left of track has wind speeds minus speed of motion, so weaker to left and stronger to right of track. Granted, 150mph winds are nothing to ignore, but more preferable than 185mph! Likewise, the heaviest rains tend to be in the NE quadrant, and that also would be offshore along a coastal track north. Sucks for eastern South Carolina though if the Savanna area landfall holds.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I applied for a job at a sawmill in the town where I went to school. I only lived IN the town for the first few months of living in this state, though.

I'd also returned a book to the junior high school's library that I had since the 03 school year. I had lost the book, and found it yesterday when retrieving a box and two postal bins of my stuff from my grandmother's shed. I had been looking for an old game, which I never did manage to find...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Well, I applied for a job at a sawmill in the town where I went to school. I only lived IN the town for the first few months of living in this state, though.
Best of luck! and do remember, the lumber goes into the saws; your fingers should not.
I'd also returned a book to the junior high school's library that I had since the 03 school year. I had lost the book, and found it yesterday when retrieving a box and two postal bins of my stuff from my grandmother's shed. I had been looking for an old game, which I never did manage to find...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alas, Photobucket says: "Hotlinking is forbidden."

So, all it shows is "Image"

The direct link from your image tag is:

https://p.dreamwidth.org/cedd3f712c64/1 ... s/bc06.jpg

and that got me the message. However, if I cut off the front half and then use:

photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Rakshan/scans/bc06.jpg

That gets me to a Photobucket page:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Rak ... NQ==/?ref=

and now I can see your image, it seems.

OK - let's try the Photobucket menu button that says Hosting Links, Direct ... that gives me:

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv35 ... s/bc06.jpg

And, as an image tag:

OK - there ya go!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

There's no guarantee I'll even get the interview, though. The lady who I had given my application said her boss wasn't there, but she'd have him call me later.

That's almost exactly the same thing I heard from the construction company, who still hasn't called me, by the way.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

jwhouk wrote:Paging Sarge: since most of the Pacific Northwest is on fire at the present time, just want to make sure everything's okay...
Funny thing about that. I'm getting ready for an expedition to the Washington national parks. Something my dad wanted to do, and we're tending him. Getting on a train to Seattle in DC on Saturday, with camping gear. Then we're renting a car and heading to North Cascades before it closes for the season. If it's not on fire by Tuesday.

I won't be around here for a couple of weeks. I don't mess with the internets on my phone. Even if the cell towers aren't all on fire.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
I saw your comment over there hinting that may be the case. I'm not sure, but it is possible. I didn't pay any attention to Gabe's features, but I imagine if several people left comments saying so, then maybe he's a match?
The thing about Gabe is that neither Neil nor we are really sure whether "he" is the appropriate terminology.

Neil is somewhat smitten despite his uncertainty.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Gabe could be short for Gabrielle, but I'm guessing Gabe is a male anyway.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:Welcome to the world of archive binge addiction. I reccomend Questionable Content, El Goonish Shive, Zap!, and Between Failures. Those are all pretty big archives. Zap! is finished but it's a great story.
There are also pretty large archives for Freefall, Carry On, and Gunnerkrigg Court. (Just off the top of my head.)

A large archive is a natural result of consistently updating three times a week for quite a few years.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave-O, sorry to hear about the Feline Troubles w/ Mortality...

damn.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Fairportfan, thank you for introducing me to Daughter of the Lilies! Finished the archive and looking forward to more.

Y'all may want to consider Strong Female Protagonist, about a young superheroine who realizes that strength does not substitute for or offset her general ignorance about adult life.

Also, Camp Weedonwancha, wherein the abandoned youngsters there haven't quite reached Lord of the Flies levels of activity, but are on the way - maybe!

My Deviant Art scribbles
AnotherFairportfan

I've been reading SFP regularly since the page where Alison was getting her hair cut - by freezing it with LN2 and then using a high-speed carbide cutoff disk.

I had started on it once before, but the early art was crude enough that the story didn't holdmy attention.

It reminds me of Marion Harmon's "Capes" universe - not the story so much but the underlying situation.