More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

I don't have a CDL, and the last time I checked, the only jobs in my part of the state (as in, less than two hours of driving from here to there) all require a college degree, or a year or more experience doing that particular job.

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if they still made a person do training because every employer does things differently.)

EDIT: A friend of mine (who was the first friend I made when I moved to this state, in the summer of '93) contacted me and informed me that he works for a staffing agency, and can get me a job in about a week. They only do full time positions, and they're doing orientation tomorrow, so I gotta head out there pretty early... Which won't be a problem, as I've been waking up at 2am lately.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, even though I wasn't hired directly by Kohler, the guy at the staffing agency that handles Kohler's temp hiring program said they can start me at the plastics plant Monday evening, making $11 or so per hour, because it'd be the night shift.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Beware, it's only Temporary. So you will be the first to go if they decide anybody needs to go. And if the other workers are unionized, universe help you, because they will just see you as a strike-breaker.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, it turns out I won't be second shift after all, so I'll only make $10.50/hr.

Also, a majority of the "temps" who can actually keep up with the attendance policy and do their jobs are hired by the company fairly quickly. Once we actually got to the plastics facility, we were shown the job postings that are only available for people already working there. It's even possible to apply to one of those jobs my first day, and become a full Kohler employee within the week.

Though I'd like to learn the job first, to improve my chances of that happening.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Though I'd like to learn the job first, to improve my chances of that happening.
Sounds wise. A solid record of being-on-time, doing-your-job, knowing-your-stuff, and (of course, the invaluable not-screwing-up) from some temp time should help quite a bit.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

The better bosses I've known have said: "You want to impress me? Do your job. That will impress me."

From there, it's skill, initiative, and personal relations. Expect the garbage duties to come your way, because they will want to see what you're made of. Stay busy, but not just busy work. Pushing a broom is one thing, setting up the equipment rack for the next job is quite another. Lean forward, and good luck!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Hansontoons wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Nice use of shutter speed, to catch the blur of the propellers, while still having the planes in focus.
1/200 - 1/250 shutter speed with autofocus. I delete far more than I keep. Still learning.
Tony Northrup wrote:Take Lots of Pictures (and Delete Most of Them)
- Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography
(chapter 1, quick tips - that's the first tip...)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Why take a photograph, when you can take twenty of them?
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Warrl wrote: Why take a photograph, when you can take twenty of them?
Because there are those of us who started out with film and have trouble remembering that you're not capturing light on silver-treated celluloid anymore? :) Yes, black and white film...Tri-X-Pan at ASA 400...and before that Plus-X pan film. Developed my own as well - got damn good at it as a kid.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Nice use of shutter speed, to catch the blur of the propellers, while still having the planes in focus.
1/200 - 1/250 shutter speed with autofocus. I delete far more than I keep. Still learning.
Even when i was shooting film, when i could afford the film and developing i overshot by AT LEAST three-to-one. Sometimes five-to-one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:Because there are those of us who started out with film and have trouble remembering that you're not capturing light on silver-treated celluloid anymore? :) Yes, black and white film...Tri-X-Pan at ASA 400...and before that Plus-X pan film. Developed my own as well - got damn good at it as a kid.
To this day, if somebody says "photography" I start smelling acetic-acid stop bath, and the damp earth of the floor of my grandfather's darkroom in the "inside cellar" of their big old house in Collegeville.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Because there are those of us who started out with film and have trouble remembering that you're not capturing light on silver-treated celluloid anymore? :) Yes, black and white film...Tri-X-Pan at ASA 400...and before that Plus-X pan film. Developed my own as well - got damn good at it as a kid.
To this day, if somebody says "photography" I start smelling acetic-acid stop bath, and the damp earth of the floor of my grandfather's darkroom in the "inside cellar" of their big old house in Collegeville.

Yeah, my step-Mom, all through the late 60s & early 70s thoroughly indoctrinated me w/ the smells of a darkroom and developer.

I later ran into a bridesmaid at a fellow student, turned coworker's, sister's, wedding reception; and I ended up marrying dat dame. (She was a student at that time; Photography...)

I don't think I've ever made that connection until just now. Thanks, all you collective knuckleheads...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: To this day, if somebody says "photography" I start smelling acetic-acid stop bath, and the damp earth of the floor of my grandfather's darkroom in the "inside cellar" of their big old house in Collegeville.
Yep. Built a darkroom in my parents' basement out of scavenged concrete shuttering plywood and scrap this and that (scavenged). Learned a lot, though never had the dosh or equipment to do colour as it was at the time. The equipment was old junk an uncle scaveneged from his attic, but I did manage to turn out good shots on it.

Ah, the smell of stop bath in the morning... :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

orange.png
orange.png (144.15 KiB) Viewed 7544 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So far, the new job is pretty easy, though I will need to get those gel inserts for my shoes. Much less stress than detailing cars, and so far, nobody has really bothered me.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:So far, the new job is pretty easy, though I will need to get those gel inserts for my shoes. Much less stress than detailing cars, and so far, nobody has really bothered me.
There are some dr scholls work insoles that have gel and arch support. They help make 12-hour shifts fairly ok.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Although I do need to find someone to build me a pair of custom work boots, because I can't find anything that actually meets all of my requirements... my current ones are almost shot. I'm gonna have to start duct-tape-engineering them soon.
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I knew I'd definitely need them. It wasn't until after I got home and removed my shoes that I learned that they have virtually no cushioning. But at least they have steel toes (because you never know) and are slip resistant (polished concrete floors) and oil resistant (machines leak hydraulic fluid).
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Another vote for the Dr Scholls inserts! Have used them in my steel toe work boots for years. They're good for about 90 days then replace.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

ws2.png
ws2.png (154.88 KiB) Viewed 7757 times