More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: More Stuff

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pm I can find the courthouse blindfolded.
Yeah, drive around with a blindfold on and you're likely to find yourself in a courthouse eventually. . .
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I got called for jury duty the weeks before I moved to Arizona. I dread to think what would happen if I got called for jury duty here in Maricopa County...

...then again, I have roughly a one in 4 million chance of being called to serve, so...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 pm I’ve never even been asked to serve jury duty.

I wonder why.
Same here.

I did get a witness summons, back about 1974 - i had been closing the convenience store i was working at and i heard someone who thought the place was empty digging through the back wall to burglarise the place and i heard it and called the cops.

By the trial date, i was back in Atlanta {i'd been in Greenville SC for the summer}, so i drove up, headed for the courthouse, and five minutes before the trial was due to start, someone told me that i was excused because they had copped a last-minute plea deal; i got ten cents a mile travel money ($26 for the round trip} and a dollar-per day {$1} for my time.

Nice reason to visit my family for a couple days and get paid.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm I got called for jury duty the weeks before I moved to Arizona. I dread to think what would happen if I got called for jury duty here in Maricopa County...
You'd show up with a couple of good books, and see if they settle out of court?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(good one Catawampus)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:53 pmI can find the courthouse blindfolded.
Why is the courthouse blindfolded?
:mrgreen:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I imagine the courthouse is into some kinky shit, but a blindfold itself is kind of tame.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, there is that chick that stands outside the courthouse with a blindfold on.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:23 am You'd show up with a couple of good books, and see if they settle out of court?
You've gotta be careful when you bring books to a courthouse, though. A judge might decide to throw the book at the defendant, and if he uses yours then it might get all dented and blood-stained.
Alkarii wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 am I imagine the courthouse is into some kinky shit, but a blindfold itself is kind of tame.
Ah, but it also has the scales and the sword. You really don't want to know how it uses those in the bedroom, unless you're really into that sort of thing.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

And then she asks you...
Does this Robe make me look fat? Answer Honestly...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:56 am
Alkarii wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:53 am I imagine the courthouse is into some kinky shit, but a blindfold itself is kind of tame.
Ah, but it also has the scales and the sword. You really don't want to know how it uses those in the bedroom, unless you're really into that sort of thing.
You've heard the old proverb, saying that "Revenge is a dish best served cold", right?

The statue is simply restating that, in a context of law.

It's saying that revenge, when carried out through the legal system, is "blind, just ice."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

THAT one might qualify you for “needed killin’” status in the eyes of the Law...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 pm THAT one might qualify you for “needed killin’” status in the eyes of the Law...
(Since it's apparent that the heat is on, Dave places a large Peltier junction into the Pun Jar.)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm And then she asks you...
"No, it's not the robe..." (ducks and runs)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:17 pm
TazManiac wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm And then she asks you...
"No, it's not the robe..." (ducks and runs)
"Is cold sleeping on porch."
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

On a completely unrelated note:

Spell the word "boobytrap" backwards.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:05 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 pm THAT one might qualify you for “needed killin’” status in the eyes of the Law...
(Since it's apparent that the heat is on, Dave places a large Peltier junction into the Pun Jar.)
He had it shipped in fresh (on ice) from Petticoat Junction. The Amateur Electrical League was having a garage sale.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 pm
Dave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:05 pm
He had it shipped in fresh (on ice) from Petticoat Junction. The Amateur Electrical League was having a garage sale.
He had it sent by a very specific freight forwarding service in Acampo, CA... on account of where they're located.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I found out today that if I miss even half a night between now and April 28th (aside from jury duty or getting put in the hospital, or somebody dies), I'll lose my job. This wouldn't be an issue if people weren't being forced to come to work sick and spreading shit around. We don't have sick leave, and a doctor's note isn't sufficient. So that time I had a kidney stone counted against me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:50 am Well, I found out today that if I miss even half a night between now and April 28th (aside from jury duty or getting put in the hospital, or somebody dies), I'll lose my job. This wouldn't be an issue if people weren't being forced to come to work sick and spreading shit around. We don't have sick leave, and a doctor's note isn't sufficient. So that time I had a kidney stone counted against me.
That definitely sucks!

How long have you been employed there? How many employees does your company have?

It might be possible for you to claim the time you had off, dealing with your kidney stone, as "unpaid medical leave" under the Federal "Family and Medical Leave Act". Eligible employees (been there at least a year I think) of covered employers (50 or more employees) are legally entitled to take up to 12 work weeks per year off as unpaid leave, in order to deal with serious medical situations that makes it impossible for them to work. Employees have to be allowed to return to work in their original position, and employers are forbidden to retaliate against employees for exercising their rights under those Act.

It's not bullet-proof protection for the employee (there are exceptions and probably ways around it), but if push came to shove you could file such a claim with your employer, and point out that you can literally make a Federal case out of getting laid off.