More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Re: More Stuff

Post by Atomic »

Typeminer wrote:I have read an interesting argument in Chamberlain's defense: That at the time of his policy of appeasement, Britain was in no state to take on Nazi Germany in any case, and it bought time.

I don't find this altogether convincing (France had a massive standing army, for one thing), but it's a different view. To my knowledge, Chamberlain never made that argument himself.
From my ongoing military studies while in the Air Force:

1. The British government was forever messing with the military (this was during the Depression era) to make itself look good by bluffing up might while pinching pennies publicly. One of their dumb-ass decisions was to design the famous Lancaster as a long range bomber, accept the design, then demand that 10 feet be cut off the wings because they were too large for the hangars of the day. That translates roughly into another 500 miles range or another ton of bombs. With the original design, it seems Britain could have bombed the Ploesti oil fields itself, instead of waiting for the US to do it with B-24s flying from Italy. Or so it was claimed.

2. According to an Air University review (lots of Masters level students wargaming old battles), the French Air Forces were more than adequate to have halted the Blitzkrieg through Belgium. The Maginot line held for over a year in places, and it's existence forced the end run. French aircraft were a match for the Luftwaffe at the time, and were adequately supplied and manned. Where it all fell down was the idiot method of command and control. Regional commanders had only indirect authority over their squadrons, and the higher authority had it's own machinations to sort out before permitting orders to be given. The result was paralysis, so little or no counter strikes occurred. Had they had a more direct system with people willing to give the orders, the FAF could have held their own allowing the Army to respond, but for their own manic command structure. But, that's another story!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

On yet another completely unrelated topic:

The youngest of my mom's three brothers has cancer, possibly bone cancer. My grandfather on that side died of bone cancer, and he was four years younger than that particular uncle of mine is now.

So I might use some vacation time when I get some to go visit. I haven't been to Ohio in several years, and I know very little of what's going on with everyone.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:The youngest of my mom's three brothers has cancer, possibly bone cancer. My grandfather on that side died of bone cancer, and he was four years younger than that particular uncle of mine is now.
Damn. Very sorry to hear that!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, a lot of family members on both sides wind up with cancer, so I'm probably going to wind up turning into a giant tumor when I'm in my 50s or so.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:Yeah, a lot of family members on both sides wind up with cancer, so I'm probably going to wind up turning into a giant tumor when I'm in my 50s or so.
Sweet holy Brigid, I've seen that show too many times myself. (Aunt, grandmother, ex's mother, sister, mother, cousin who shared my given name, et al.) I'm right there with you, brother.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote:What I like to point out to people is that WW-I was caused by the Serbians separatists, and WW-II was caused by the French. Everyone likes to blame the Prussian/Germans/Austrians, but when you look at the underlying _cause_, it was not. They may be to blame, but they weren't the cause.

Serbia.. that area of the world is just as much trouble as Afghanistan and 'The Middle East'.
The Serbian separatists contributed to starting the war between Austro-Hungary and Serbia, though you could also rightly claim that that war was caused by the Austrians. But the Russians or the Germans or the French didn't really care about some member of the Austro-Hungarian nobility getting shot, and ordinarily wouldn't have gotten involved in what would have been a small, localised war.

What caused it to be a global war depended on each country. It was caused on Russia's part by distrust of German expansionism and by pan-Slavic sentiments. It was caused on Germany's part by careless diplomatic promises and pan-Germanic sentiments. It was caused on France's part by lingering resentment of past German victories. And so on. It was caused by a whole lot of different causes in different places.

For that matter, you could claim that it was caused by the fall of the Roman Empire.
Typeminer wrote:I have read an interesting argument in Chamberlain's defense: That at the time of his policy of appeasement, Britain was in no state to take on Nazi Germany in any case, and it bought time.

I don't find this altogether convincing (France had a massive standing army, for one thing), but it's a different view. To my knowledge, Chamberlain never made that argument himself.
Sure, Britain might not have been fully ready to go to war against Germany. . .but Germany wasn't all that ready for a war itself at the time, as events revealed several years later. Besides, Britain didn't even have to be militarily ready; Britain had a large amount of influence of the non-military type at the time, and Germany wasn't exactly eager to go to war even with an unready Britain.

Also, Hitler was cautious at first in his whole land-grabbing plans, because he was worried that the British would do something about it. It was Britain's passivity that led him to gain confidence in his plans, and helped to grant him the confidence of the German people. If the British had drawn a line at an early point, it's quite likely that Hitler would at the very least have greatly slowed down his plans, perhaps looking inward to domestic affairs rather than moving on with his pan-Germanic empire plans.

There's also the matter of the high-ranking military officers who were planning a coup against Hitler. They were waiting for the right moment, when Britain would stand up to Hitler and shake the German peoples' confidence in their leader. That moment never happened, and so the officers dithered and the coup never happened. Probably the coup would not have worked out as well as the officers wanted, and the officers in question were anti-Nazi rather than anti-war, but at the very least things within Germany would have played out in somewhat different manner than they did.

Of course, the problem with looking back and second-guessing historical statesmen and leaders is that we only know for sure (maybe) how things turned out after the choices that were made. We can make educated guesses and extrapolations of what would have happened if other choices had been made instead, but we can never really know. We also tend to have access to information that the people at the time never had, as well as to all of the analysis that has been done in the meantime.

Maybe if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler things would have been better. . .or maybe Hitler would have managed to do even more damage. After all, while Germany was eager for a war against Poland or France in 1939, they weren't actually ready for the war that they ended up with and were taken somewhat by surprise by the sudden escalation of things. If Hitler had concentrated his attention inwards and worked more on strengthening his hold over Germany and building up German power, the war might have happened years later and featured a much more competent and better-equipped Nazi military.

In any case, Chamberlain gambled that if he stalled and appeased that the problem would somehow resolve itself peacefully, and he lost that gamble.
Alkarii wrote:On yet another completely unrelated topic:

The youngest of my mom's three brothers has cancer, possibly bone cancer. My grandfather on that side died of bone cancer, and he was four years younger than that particular uncle of mine is now.

So I might use some vacation time when I get some to go visit. I haven't been to Ohio in several years, and I know very little of what's going on with everyone.
Sorry to hear that.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Condolences Alkarii, and I'm right with you-

just this early morning one of my best buds got the call that his Mom had passed away after failing health and a trip to the hospital.

Not much I can tell you but, I'm sorry dude.

PS- they're in Ohio also...
Last edited by TazManiac on Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Cancer sucks.

Sorry to hear, Alkarii.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

France's standing army lasted real quick.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:France's standing army lasted real quick.
Right. They weren't led by a non-frenchman.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/france.html
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'd often made the joke that the reason the French Foreign Legion was the best France had because they weren't French, but I didn't know France's military history looked so terrible...

If I go to Hell (most likely for laughing at the things I shouldn't), I hope I don't wind up in the French section.
Last edited by Alkarii on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

laughing at the thongs I shouldn't...
AnotherFairportfan

In Heaven:

The British are the police
The French run the restaurants
The Germans run the railroads

In Hell:

The British run the restaurants
The French run the railroads
The Germans are the police
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

TazManiac wrote:
My niece about choked when my brother said he bought dollar-store thongs to wear in the campground shower. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I've been observing (too often, probably) that stretch pants were a bad idea in the 60s, and they're a worse idea today. :shock:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It could be worse: They could have been half-thongs. To save you the trouble of running an internet search for those, they're something only men can wear, and they're pretty much just a sling. Not even sure how it came about that I found out what those are.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was catching up on reading the Hubris webcomic, and ran across this, in the author's comments below the March 2 comic:
(Turns out "poit" has been in use for quite some time...)

Hubris wrote:I remember one, when MAD did one of their square bound super specials, where they had a set of stickers in the magazine. All the stickers were stamp-style Don Martin sound effect cartoons. Brilliant. I believe, though, that the “Poit!” sticker had a drawing of a woman’s breast springing from it’s safe space within her undergarments. My buddy Jon got his copy of MAD taken away because of that.
In the reader comments, someone linked to the (silly, yet I suppose not quite safe for work) image in question:
Greg, she WAS rather a rotund woman with large melons. It’s no wonder they went “ploit!” out of her dress! For those wondering … it IS SFW and can be seen

Code: Select all

https://13thdimension.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/poit-580x909.jpg
That "x" just breaks down the link in the forum, so I had to include it in a Code tag... It won't even work within a URL tag... but it works, if you paste it into your browser.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

According to the Don Martin Sound Effects list, his first use of "Poit" was in 1960.

http://www.madcoversite.com/dmd-alphabetical

Link gets to main site, scroll down a bit on the right to find the dictionary link. Anyone more adept at links, feel free to make it easier/direct.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Typeminer wrote:
TazManiac wrote:
My niece about choked when my brother said he bought dollar-store thongs to wear in the campground shower. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I've been observing (too often, probably) that stretch pants were a bad idea in the 60s, and they're a worse idea today. :shock:
What's wrong with green and purple pedal pushers?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

There's something subtly weird about a loaf of Jewish rye in St. Patrick's Day packaging.
AnotherFairportfan

Typeminer wrote:Anyhow, I've been observing (too often, probably) that stretch pants were a bad idea in the 60s, and they're a worse idea today. :shock:
Ogden Nash in the Fifties:
Sure, deck your lower limbs in pants
Yours are the legs my sweeting.
You look just great as you advance
Have you seen yourself retreating?
=========================

Also, Rotsler's Rules, #1 and #2