More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac »

Now that you mention the weather; nor-Cal has a lot of remaining snow up on the hill ridges, San Francisco' East Bay region anyway, and we are way too close to the Ocean for this to be an often type thing.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:01 pm Northern Arizona is getting hit, hit, HIT hard by snow. The rest of us are getting rained on like no one's business.
Three days so far here in North Georgia; it MAY end by Sunday, according to my last check on my weather app.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Still raining.

This is really cutting into the "Valley of the Sun" thing.

Oh, and by the way? Spring training games are supposed to start this weekend.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Speaking of rain, I saw some video the other day that was talking about how much rainfall various areas of the US are getting, and it lists a lot of northwest Arkansas as experiencing a moderate to heavy drought.

We average sixty days of storms a year (or so I read), not counting all the light rain we get throughout fall, winter, and spring, which is pretty much on and off for weeks at a time. If we're still experiencing any kind of drought with all that rain, how much rain is this state supposed to be getting?

(I guess now would be a good time to get some kind of boat...)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:41 pm Speaking of rain, I saw some video the other day that was talking about how much rainfall various areas of the US are getting, and it lists a lot of northwest Arkansas as experiencing a moderate to heavy drought.
NW Arkansas has the same issues as Oklahoma, so drought isn't that unusual.

Houston got a LOT of rain, especially with Harvey, but frankly, most of the bad flooding was caused by all the normal flat marshlands being covered with concrete. Victoria and similar areas, even though they got even MORE rain, didn't have anywhere near the problems as Houston.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
AnotherFairportfan

Does Houston have a zoning code yet?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:20 pm Does Houston have a zoning code yet?
No, it (and Harris county) have building planning departments who happily rubber stamp anyone that bribes them properly. The number of 'building exceptions' is unbelievable.

Mind you, the lack of zoning is part of WHY Houston is one of the largest growing cities. No reason to end up with the manufacturing zone blight like the Rust Belt cities, where even after 40 years, the cities refuse to make 'heavy industry' zones anything but 'heavy industry'.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'd finally gotten around to replacing the phone I'd had for longer than 3 years. I'd also recieved the late birthday/Christmas gift my brother got for me, a Rock Island Armory M1911A1 CS. It's a bit more complicated than my Beretta M9, as at one point I need a paperclip to assist with field stripping it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm I'd finally gotten around to replacing the phone I'd had for longer than 3 years.
I don't think that I've ever owned a phone for less than ten years. I don't really use them much by choice, anyway.
Alkarii wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm I'd also recieved the late birthday/Christmas gift my brother got for me, a Rock Island Armory M1911A1 CS. It's a bit more complicated than my Beretta M9, as at one point I need a paperclip to assist with field stripping it.
I think that it was Rock Island that modified an M-14 that I used for sniping; it was a good rifle.

I've also found the M1911 to be good, assuming that it was a well-made version. It's better for more discreet or casual carry, you'd probably want to take the Beretta if you were openly looking for a fight. Or take both, and you can dual-wield them as you leap through a plate-glass window and fire in mid-air at the villains.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:17 pm
Alkarii wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm I'd finally gotten around to replacing the phone I'd had for longer than 3 years.
I don't think that I've ever owned a phone for less than ten years. I don't really use them much by choice, anyway.
Alkarii wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm I'd also recieved the late birthday/Christmas gift my brother got for me, a Rock Island Armory M1911A1 CS. It's a bit more complicated than my Beretta M9, as at one point I need a paperclip to assist with field stripping it.
I think that it was Rock Island that modified an M-14 that I used for sniping; it was a good rifle.

I've also found the M1911 to be good, assuming that it was a well-made version. It's better for more discreet or casual carry, you'd probably want to take the Beretta if you were openly looking for a fight. Or take both, and you can dual-wield them as you leap through a plate-glass window and fire in mid-air at the villains.
I always thought that Rock Island was a train.

I like the Makarov derivatives. PA-63 is a great gun, but has quite a kick. (Aluminum frame) I have two CZ-82's as well as three CZ-52's (not Makarov. What they replaced). If I had a CZ-53, I'd have a row of one of each of the generations of Russian/Soviet handguns. I have an 1895 Nagant revolver, DA, 7 shots. (Yes, you _can_ mount a silencer to them if the barrel is threaded), the CZ-52, the CZ-82, and I'd just need a CZ-83 to complete the set.

Oh - one way you can tell a that the CZ's are military guns. The CZ-52 safety can't be engaged unless the hammer is back. (Personally, I think that safeties are the devil's idea. The _only_ reason to have your gun loaded with a round ready to go is that you might need it immediately - which means you're in a combat zone. A safety will kill you. The rest of the time, the gun shouldn't be able to be shot without loading a round _anyway_. It takes less small motor controls, which means in a stress situation, you can rack a slide easier than you can flip the safety)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 pm I always thought that Rock Island was a train.
"Oh, the Rock Island Line is a well-armed road!
Oh, the Rock Island Line, it's the road to ride.
Oh, the Rock Island Line, it's a well-armed road!
If you want to ride you gotta ride like you find it.
Get your handgun at the station on the Rock Island Line."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(I miss my bow...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:04 am (I miss my bow...)
I still have mine. The problem I have is arrows. It's very hard to find commercially-made ones long enough for it, and I don't really feel like taking the time to try making them myself (especially since I prefer the carbon-fibre ones).
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

How long do you need them to be?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:50 pm How long do you need them to be?
38 inches.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Oh. Damn. 31-inchers are the longest I could find quickly.

I imagine you’ll have to get them custom-made.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Catawampus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:32 pm
Bookworm wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:39 pm I always thought that Rock Island was a train.
"Oh, the Rock Island Line is a well-armed road!
Oh, the Rock Island Line, it's the road to ride.
Oh, the Rock Island Line, it's a well-armed road!
If you want to ride you gotta ride like you find it.
Get your handgun at the station on the Rock Island Line."
Odd. I'm pretty sure that Johnny Horton never talked about hanguns. He had pigs, he had horses, he had all livestock...

Down the Rock Island Line she's a mighty good road
The Rock Island Line is the road to ride
The Rock Island Line she's a mighty good road
If you ride you gotta ride her like you find her
Get your ticket at the station for the Rock Island Line
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Catawampus wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:33 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:50 pm How long do you need them to be?
38 inches.
You can get the rods up to 6 feet long pretty easily. Most of mine I order at about 18 inches.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:23 am Odd. I'm pretty sure that Johnny Horton never talked about hanguns. He had pigs, he had horses, he had all livestock...
He fooled you! He fooled you! He got iron. He got all shooting iron. He got all shooting iron.
AnotherFairportfan

I remember the first time my dad heard that song - i think it was a Johnny Cash recording - and he was like "a toll gate on a RAILROAD? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Interrogative!"