More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

If nothing else ... Harahap is still in play. And either Kate or i missed/misinterpreted something (we'll have to wait for a future story, i assume, to find out which of us it was)

Also, seeing the implementation of Houdini is of some import.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:If nothing else ... Harahap is still in play. And either Kate or i missed/misinterpreted something (we'll have to wait for a future story, i assume, to find out which of us it was)

Also, seeing the implementation of Houdini is of some import.
We had already seen implementation of Houdini, and exactly where it fails when the GAULs were killed, which is inevitably going to be the key needed for the Good Guys(tm) to bust everything open. The final scene to which I refer as being the reward for slogging through the 'deleted scenes reel', is the immediate response to Henke trying to prevent Houdini from succeeding, which was done two books ago. Other than that, just repeating what we already knew.

Harahap is an interesting character who is going to die in short order by virtue of self-destruct sequence already implemented, as he is getting 'cut off' from preventing the dead-man switch from triggering. He might be able to spill a few beans before this happens, which is going to be another 'straw in the wind', but he doesn't know much more than the Manties do at this point which has any relevance. Anyone he could point to has either died or 'vanished', and has no clue that the place they need to go to is on the other side of the artificial wormhole in Torch (formerly Congo) space. In any case, his lifespan, from the point of his last scene in this book, is measured in hours.
AnotherFairportfan

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Harahap is an interesting character who is going to die in short order by virtue of self-destruct sequence already implemented, as he is getting 'cut off' from preventing the dead-man switch from triggering.
You think so? Weren't reading carefully?

(Understand, i'm speaking as the author's brother, who knows how his mind works, rather than as the author's brother who has inside info.)

Reread every sequence regarding Harahap's special medical treatment, paying careful atttention.

(I could be wrong, but i was intrigued by what was said and the exact way it was phrased...)

As to Houdini, well, i guess what i found important and interesting, you found irrelevant.

OTOH, again, i probably agree with Dave and not you as to whether it is because he and i grew up on the same background material, and, except for politics, think very much alike.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Harahap is an interesting character who is going to die in short order by virtue of self-destruct sequence already implemented, as he is getting 'cut off' from preventing the dead-man switch from triggering.
You think so? Weren't reading carefully?

(Understand, i'm speaking as the author's brother, who knows how his mind works, rather than as the author's brother who has inside info.)

Reread every sequence regarding Harahap's special medical treatment, paying careful atttention.

(I could be wrong, but i was intrigued by what was said and the exact way it was phrased...)

As to Houdini, well, i guess what i found important and interesting, you found irrelevant.

OTOH, again, i probably agree with Dave and not you as to whether it is because he and i grew up on the same background material, and, except for politics, think very much alike.
Oh, it was an interesting enough story, it just didn't advance the plot any. Which is particularly frustrating considering the plot line has stalled ever since he decided to not kill off Honor and pass the torch to the next generation. Granted, when making major changes like that, you have to completely re-write your whole outline from the ground up, so stalling makes at least a bit of sense for the short term, but this series could've easily been wrapped up by now, and it's probably about time that happened before it turns into an Ose.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Any Brian Eno fans on the forum? I just experienced his latest work "Reflection". It was relaxing background sound while researching interests on the webs. When it finished, I had to pause and reflect on what I had heard rather than go to the next song on the random playlist, which happened to be another Eno song (Burning Airlines). I'll have to say that Eno's music is an acquired taste. I turned to it during the disco times in the mid/late 70's as a way of countering what passed for popular music at the time. And just noted that it was 40 years ago-ish for that music/time. Hmm. Raises one eyebrow, and smiles. My best to all and the music that they appreciate no matter what it may be.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another quote from my wallpaper changer:
“It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.” - John Joseph Powell
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:Another quote from my wallpaper changer:
“It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.” - John Joseph Powell
Donald Trump says that's bull.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And another one:
Franklin's Rule: Blessed is the end user who expects nothing, for he/she will not be disappointed.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:Another quote from my wallpaper changer:
Donald Trump says that's bull.
Even Donald Trump has a mother that loved him... :P
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Donald Trump says that's bull.
Even Donald Trump has a mother that loved him... :P
I wouldn't bet on it.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:Even Donald Trump has a mother that loved him... :P
I wouldn't bet on it.
Well, at the very least, Wikipedia says he had a mother... ;)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

"No man of woman born..."
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Even Donald Trump has a mother that loved him... :P
I wouldn't bet on it.
Well, at the very least, Wikipedia says he had a mother... ;)
Oh, I don't doubt that he had a mother.

Whether she loved him, now...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another quote to smirk at:
“If you believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.” - Unknown
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And another one:
“Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'” - Charlie Brown.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's a neat one:
“Dads. Do your faces light up when you first see your child in the morning or when you come home from work? Do you not understand that a child’s entire sense of value can revolve around what they see in your face when you first see them?” - Dan Pearce
ShneekeyTheLost

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Oh, I don't doubt that he had a mother.

Whether she loved him, now...
Eh, no different from any other politician of any political affinity. Mind you, I'm not trying to defend the man, but he's the symptom, not the disease. You remember the old 'this is your brain on drugs' commercials? Well, this is your politics on inactivity.

Side Effects of public lassitude and political inactivity may include: An excess of political chicanery, vote-buying en masse, special interest catering, demagoguery as the norm, and in extreme cases, an eventual backslide into a totalitarian police state.

If you feel your country has one or more of these symptoms, please seek public interest immediately. Early detection and accountability are the most effective means of treating this disease. Extreme cases that have already started to slide into totalitarianism may require more severe treatments, up to and including civil war/revolution.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

The trick is figuring out if you're at the point where civil war or revolution is necessary.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Also, keep in mind that a lot of totalitarian states have used the phrase "in the public's best interests" when implementing tighter laws.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's a quote from a webcomic, this time:
Crying is like puking for the soul. - Luna, from Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire