More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Re: More Stuff

Post by Atomic »

Deepest condolences, and wishing you calm and comfort for the days ahead.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The nurse said he may have only hours left at this point. I don't know how the nurse can even tell, though, because they don't have the equipment to do any checks. Just a hospital bed and an IV drip, as far as I know.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:The nurse said he may have only hours left at this point. I don't know how the nurse can even tell, though, because they don't have the equipment to do any checks. Just a hospital bed and an IV drip, as far as I know.
Experience with similar cases, perhaps? I suspect that someone who has cared for enough people going through the last days of their lives, doesn't need lab tests to recognize when someone is fading away.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, now that I'm at my grandparents' house, I can see why the nurse thinks he's going to die today or tomorrow. He's currently not responding. Pretty much asleep now, with the occasional groan. I'd forgotten he was on oxygen.

One of my cousins hasn't visited him at all, presumably because he's in denial. I told him this will be his last chance to see him.

Edit: Yeah... We think he just passed, minutes ago. We're gonna have someone come out to check. My aunt is crying right now, putting a post on Facebook to notify friends and family.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

((hugs)) I am so sorry.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Alkarii wrote:The nurse said he may have only hours left at this point. I don't know how the nurse can even tell, though, because they don't have the equipment to do any checks. Just a hospital bed and an IV drip, as far as I know.
Experience with similar cases, perhaps? I suspect that someone who has cared for enough people going through the last days of their lives, doesn't need lab tests to recognize when someone is fading away.

When you see it often enough, you know what's coming. There's a smell, a look and a sound that tells you everything.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:When you see it often enough, you know what's coming. There's a smell, a look and a sound that tells you everything.
From some things you'd said a while ago, Greg, I was pretty sure that you were one of those who knows. I don't imagine it's an easy or comfortable thing, no matter how often you've been through it. :(
Alkarii wrote:Edit: Yeah... We think he just passed, minutes ago. We're gonna have someone come out to check. My aunt is crying right now, putting a post on Facebook to notify friends and family.
To quote Gandalf: "I will not say 'Do not weep', for not all tears are an evil."

May your sorrows find healing, and your memories remain bright.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah... He passed when we thought he did. I imagine they'll let me be a pallbearer for the funeral on Thursday. I'm not hurting, though my aunt and my dad are. I heard my dad sound like he was about to cry earlier. First time, I think.

My sister had just whispered a goodbye in his ear before she walked out with her kids, and I found out on Facebook, at the exact same time, my brother looked out the window while on his way to Memphis (probably looking in the mirror), and thinking "He made a beautiful sunset for you on the day you go to see him." He looked at the clock, and it said 7:44, the same time my sister said goodbye. My mom said she saw him take a breath then, but not after that.

He was a preacher for nearly sixty years, since he was eighteen years old. He was asleep all day today, and while he didn't preach last week, he did go to church then. However, he preached the Sunday before, when he was still able to walk.

Right up to the end.

About the only real regret I have is not getting married. He performed the service for my brother's first wedding, and for one of his nephews (who is also only a few years older than me). I'd have liked to have given him the chance to do so, but because I'd been too uncomfortable trying to form a relationship with someone, I'll never get to do that now.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Alkarii wrote:Yeah... He passed when we thought he did.

About the only real regret I have is not getting married.
Angels bear him to his rest....Terribly sorry to hear this.

He will know when you do and will concelebrate - you will be able to share the joy. Have no doubts.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

bunny2.png
bunny2.png (168.15 KiB) Viewed 8429 times
Excerpted from the current page at Mysteries of the Arcana:

Chrystelienne (back to the viewer) is an elf (Well, for all practical intents and purposes. You can't see her pointy ear, but it's there). She has Intentions regarding Theresa (who's from our world.) Theresa is slowly coming around. Chrys has been trying to make Theresa feel at home in the Inn of Worlds. She listened to Theresa talking about Easter and eggs and bunnies, but she's a little vague on exactly what kind of bunnies.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I just got a phone call from the service manager at the dealership.

Everything the detail department handled is now outsourced to another company, who is willing to hire us so we can stay there.

However, this also raises the question as to whether or not they'll honor the vacation time I put in for a couple weeks back to be used in mid June. And I'm pretty sure this means I won't have all the insurance I had before, and they'll probably pay me less.

And all this shit is probably happening because they wouldn't fire the people who wouldn't carry their share of the work.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:I just got a phone call from the service manager at the dealership.

Everything the detail department handled is now outsourced to another company, who is willing to hire us so we can stay there.

However, this also raises the question as to whether or not they'll honor the vacation time I put in for a couple weeks back to be used in mid June. And I'm pretty sure this means I won't have all the insurance I had before, and they'll probably pay me less.

And all this shit is probably happening because they wouldn't fire the people who wouldn't carry their share of the work.
Started looking at new jobs elsewhere, just in case?

Maybe it will all turn out even better than before, though. Don't go quitting until you find out, or unless you find a really good job elsewhere.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Don't go quitting until you find out, or unless you find a really good job elsewhere.
This. It takes pretty extreme circumstances to make it appropriate to quit before you've secured your financial situation by other means - which at your age would typically mean finding another job. (I took a different route: I retired.)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That's just it: I'm not quitting. They're getting rid of my entire department. Basically, I'm getting fired for shit what wasn't my fault, and not the result of inaction on my part. I'd repeatedly told the detail that people weren't doing their fair share, and that is a good deal of what lead to this.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Alkarii wrote:Does anyone remember a movie from the late 80s or early 90s that had a bunch of teachers at a high school turn out to be some killer androids? I only remember seeing parts of it, so I have no idea if the movie was even any good.
yeah, as Dave said earlier, it was "Class of 1999". it was decent, typical of the "b" or "c" grade flicks back then... it's pretty strange watching it now though because i recognize quite a lot of the scenery where it was filmed (Seattle) and a LOT of them don't exist any more due to urban development in the meantime. for example the bridge the main character almost goes off the end of in the chase scenes... yep, that was Lenore St. in downtown Seattle. it got demo'd in '95 for an elevator, and the High School he went to, yep, demo'd...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

These next few days are going to be rather unpleasant. Due to the stress caused by my employment situation, I can't sleep.

Another thing I don't get about this whole situation is that there are other positions at the dealership. So why can't I move to one of those?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Another thing I don't get about this whole situation is that there are other positions at the dealership. So why can't I move to one of those?
It might help if you formally apply for one of those open positions. Don't just ask informally... go file an application, just as if you were a new applicant.
Alkarii wrote:However, this also raises the question as to whether or not they'll honor the vacation time I put in for a couple weeks back to be used in mid June.
If it's paid vacation time that you have earned, then (in most states) it's considered part of your earned wages... it's a financial obligation on the part of your current employer. If you leave their employ (voluntarily or via a layoff) without having used it, they must pay you for it in cash at that time (again, in most states). They can't say "oh, the new company will take care of that, talk to them."

If it's just unpaid time off (an "OK, you can take a couple of weeks away; you won't be paid but we won't make a fuss or fire you") then I think all bets are off... the outsource company might say it's fine, or it might say "We don't want to hire you under those circumstances." Going for a talk with the new outfit's management in advance might help... find out directly what their intentions are.

If you can point out that you've already made some financial obligations based on your approved time-off request (eg bought tickets or paid deposits) it might help them decide to do the fair thing.

Best of luck. It sounds as if you're being treated rather shabbily... not an uncommon habit among many American companies, I'm afraid. This sort of thing (and worse) is why unions got so much traction here in the US, in the last century. Pity so many of them became corrupt and full of featherbedding.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It was paid time off, but it doesn't matter.

I just found out from my former supervisor that we were all fired Tuesday afternoon, before I got that phone call.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

At the beginning of the funeral, we sang a hymn my grandfather had requested. On the opposite page was a hymn called "How Firm a Foundation."

I find this kind of interesting, because that's also the title of one of David Weber's books. I'd known he had used a hymn or two to name the books of that series, and I find it kind of a crazy coincidence that happened like that. He's easily my favorite author.

I didn't know until just before the service that my dad had been chosen to officiate the funeral. This was also the second time I had seen Masonic rites be performed.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

If i recall correctly, all of the books in that series have hymn titles. But it's been a while since i read them.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.