More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

I saw this one quite a while back: a self-adjusting dart board that either makes you get a bullseye every time, or makes you wildly miss every time...

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

But the bull's eye isn't the highest scoring space on the dart board. You want the piece of the triple ring that overlaps the 20 wedge. Each dart that hits there gets you 60 points, as opposed to 50 from the bull.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:53 pmI don't know if I've already asked this question, but does anyone got any recommendations for a good rucksack? I'd been looking at ordering a Särmä TST RP80, as I hear they'd pretty damn good, and are comparable to rucks that cost more than twice as much (the current price is around $520), but I might also look into a cheaper British clamshell ruck, if I can find one that's in MTP.
Well, my large and medium ones are government issue, and my self-purchased small one no longer has any sort of labels on it so I couldn't really say what brand it is. None of them are all that fancy or special as far as I can tell, but have lasted decades through some rather rough use. So unless you have some really rarefied special requirements, you can generally go with “good enough” rather than worrying about “the best possible”. It's more important to find the one with the layout and size that will meet your anticipated needs.
Alkarii wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:55 pmEdit: I watched the review video about it again, and while the guy doesn't seem to specifically mention it, when he shows the inside of the bag, it certainly looks like it's got some waterproofing, but as a general rule, you never assume that a single layer of waterproofing is enough.
Yeah, if you're really concerned about the bag's contents getting wet, then using a waterproof outer bag with a waterproof inner bag is the way to go. And maybe even a nice compact third waterproof bag folded up and stashed in the bottom, just in case either of the outer two gets damaged and needs to be replaced. Plus, waterproof bags that you can seal tightly make useful improvised floatation devices, if you need to cross a river or something.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, the main reason I didn't go with a US GI ruck is because I'd seen videos by veterans talking about how certain bits of kit are bad and how they can be better. In one of them, the guy talked about the previous version of issue ruck and the newer, larger ruck. Apparently, he and his fellow soldiers (at least, I think he's an army vet) didn't like how bulky the older one had been, and would have all preferred the rucks to be modular and smaller, as it isn't necessary to carry everything every time you go out on a mission or whatever. If you fill up the main bag, but need to take more than it carries, just add more pouches, but apparently someone thought it would be better to make a larger bag that's modular.

The ruck I ordered is narrow enough that if it was full (and I was careful about where I attached extra pouches or bags), I could ski if I were so inclined, yet the size is enough that I may not need to add much of anything besides maybe a sheath for an entrenching tool of some sort. I'd more likely try wearing it while practicing rappelling, or I might start trying camping sometime. (Given that I live in the woods, I wouldn't have to go very far...)

I do intend to set it up as an AWOL bag, though such a bag would have everything I need for camping anyway.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

As I was getting ready to leave for work this morning, my mom informed me that my grandmother died this morning. My dad asked me and my brother yesterday if we'd be pallbearers when the time comes. Naturally, we said yes.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Condolences and may all go well as it can.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yes, condolences indeed. Recall the Good, best you can, as often as possible...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Many of us have been there already, so you are not without company. And we all stand in the shadows of the old folks who went before. Wishing you peace and good weather.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Condolences.

My sister was at a funeral this afternoon - they're starting to allow them again.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Lots of info here.

In regards to the funeral arrangements, the viewing is Tuesday, and the funeral and internment are Wednesday. Hopefully my boss doesn't decide to be a dick and make us go in when we need to do preparation for all of that. I need new dress pants, as I got a bit pudgier since my grandfather's funeral. It probably won't hurt to get a new dress shirt, too.

In regards to the rucksack, I got it yesterday, and assembled it earlier. I don't have much to put in it at the moment, but I intend to change that. The inside of the bag is clearly waterproofed, so whater I put in it should be fine... however, I'm going to double up on that, either by trying my military waterproof bag (my dad says to turn that inside out; I assume that is so the rubber lining keeps the fabric that's on the outside of the bag from getting mildew), or by combining a trash bag with a mesh laundry bag. Either method is pretty cheap, especially since the waterproof bag was free. The lady that runs the milsurp I went to used it as a shopping bag for all the stuff I bought.

From what I can tell of this ruck, I'm definitely going to be a happy camper when I use this for, well... camping. I also intend to load it up and wear it while I walk up and down the hill behind my house. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to shed some fat by doing so, provided I do it more than once a week. I think I might cut a winding trail in the woods around my house and get one of those clicker wheels to measure the distance. That way, I can calculate how many times I'd need to walk that trail for a single mile.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha! Just read this in a comment on a Precocious webcomic page:
The great triad of life is thus:

Youth: time and energy, but no money.
Middle age: money and energy, but no time.
Old age: time and money, but no energy.

Youth really IS wasted on the young. They can't do anything with it besides things that get them in trouble long term.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, but the issue is that I don't actually eat much during the week, because I don't have time to stop while on my delivery route. At the same time, I'm also sitting for most of the time I'm on the clock, which makes it kinda surprising that I actually lost some weight.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

The trouble with losing weight while sitting on your ass is that most of the weight you lose is muscle. Guess how I know that. :mrgreen:

And I have never in my life been even a little bit overweight, except the year my teen metabolism started to slow down and I hit peak lifetime weight at 19. (Then I got thrown out of college, money got tight, and I lost 50 pounds in a year . . . )
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I ordered a MOLLE vest earlier, and it comes with eight pouches with the Flecktarn pattern. In the picture, two that look very similar to the compass pouch the US military uses are attached to the vest, at the shoulders, and there are six large pouches that sit lower. I know I'm going to put at least some fire making supplies in the larger pouches, or maybe get a pouch to put on the waistband of my ruck and use that to hold tinder and some method of starting a fire (I intend to keep more than one method in my gear), and probably some flares and a signaling mirror, and likely a pocket chainsaw or something.

Anyone got any other suggestions for what kinds of stuff I need to put in there to carry on my person should the need arise?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:35 am I ordered a MOLLE vest earlier, and it comes with eight pouches with the Flecktarn pattern. In the picture, two that look very similar to the compass pouch the US military uses are attached to the vest, at the shoulders, and there are six large pouches that sit lower. I know I'm going to put at least some fire making supplies in the larger pouches, or maybe get a pouch to put on the waistband of my ruck and use that to hold tinder and some method of starting a fire (I intend to keep more than one method in my gear), and probably some flares and a signaling mirror, and likely a pocket chainsaw or something.

Anyone got any other suggestions for what kinds of stuff I need to put in there to carry on my person should the need arise?
Generally, the vest is where you'd carry the more essential items that you don't want to be without even after you've stripped off your main packs. What such items might be depends on your environment, what you're trying to accomplish, and your own personal whims. Small basic tools, common first aid stuff, mobile phone, walrus repellent, sunglasses. . .whatever you want to be sure is close at hand at all times. You just want to try to keep it light weight, and leave the heavy stuff for the packs and satchels.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Both Small & Medium folding knives [a decent one and a tiny one], Birthday Candles in a ziplock bag, energy/granola bar or two, 'disposable' rain poncho (the thin-mil ones fold up real tiny...), Magnifying Glass, Leatherman type folding tool?

edit- Now that I've hit 'submit', how about a yard/meter or two if that braided Tac-Cord stuff..

Oh, and a Loud Assed Whistle on a lanyard.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:01 pm walrus repellent
Don't leave home without it... :mrgreen:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

TazManiac wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm Both Small & Medium folding knives [a decent one and a tiny one], Birthday Candles in a ziplock bag, energy/granola bar or two, 'disposable' rain poncho (the thin-mil ones fold up real tiny...), Magnifying Glass, Leatherman type folding tool?

edit- Now that I've hit 'submit', how about a yard/meter or two if that braided Tac-Cord stuff..

Oh, and a Loud Assed Whistle on a lanyard.
I was actually thinking of getting my rain suit (Flecktarn patterned, as well...) and putting it in one of the side pockets on the rucksack, but at the same time, a military poncho would be much faster to put on, and I don't need to worry about putting it over the ruck, which already has a waterproof layer, and the roll down closure makes it difficult (but I assume not impossible) for rain to get in it.

As for knives, I need to take the Hoffman Richter tactical folding knife my dad got for me as a Christmas gift up to Home Depot and see if I can find out what size screw I need, because my brother and I found that the screws fell out of both of our knives, though the nuts stayed in place. However, two is one, and one is none, so I plan to get more.

EDIT: Prematurely hit submit... When you say Tac-cord, are you talking about paracord? I was thinking about getting a lot of 550 paracord (breaking weight is 550 pounds, hence the name), but a small amount of cordage that is in easy access isn't a bad idea.

Which reminds me, I saw a video once that was showing off a spool of paracord that looked like a tape measure, and it had a blade on it to cut it as needed, so that could be a decent addition.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Never used it in an emergency myself, but read a long time ago that a 1000 foot spool of dental floss can be really useful. Pretty good tensile strength for its weight, though easily abraded.

No need to pack it in the Montana bush country, of course. :mrgreen:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I was looking online for something to use as a shelter that could be put in my rucksack (or attached to it), but the tents of the appropriate camo pattern for my area were sold out, not to mention having to deal with the poles, which would add a lot of weight. However, I managed to find a nice, multifunctional tarp that seems like it will work if I use some cordage and ingenuity, and I can make tent poles from scavenged materials if I don't want to tie a rope between a coupe of trees.

I also managed to find a decent sized rain poncho, along with a sleeping bag. The bag itself has a season rating of 2 (so cooler nights in summer and spring), but it can also be good enough at temps as low as 5⁰ to 10⁰ C. I'm not sure what that is in Fahrenheit, though I'm sure Arkansas doesn't get that cold very often, except during the worst part of winter. However, if I combine that with one or both of my poncho liners, I might be okay. Keep in mind, I wouldn't sleep in an exposed position without any shelter if I had any option.