More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac »

re: MS Access [and other Office apps], the main trouble, as I understand things, is Visual Basic support. Reverse Engineered/Open Source VB is not a real thing, yet, so stuff breaks.

As for noob-hate, there is some, but I've been Linux First, MS partion 'just in case' for at least a decade now.I think we have a whole necro'd thread on the subject somewhere...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Did someone mention SQL?

Allow me to present an OLD friend of mine {in both senses - met him in 1973 and he's almost a year older than i am}: my fellow Bohemian/Czech, Joe Celko.

If you've ever heard the term "lasagna code" - blame Celko.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:12 pm re: MS Access [and other Office apps], the main trouble, as I understand things, is Visual Basic support. Reverse Engineered/Open Source VB is not a real thing, yet, so stuff breaks.
Exactly. The database my friend uses has plenty of forms, which use a lot of VBA (Visual Basic for Applications, which is somewhat different from straight Visual Basic) to automate much of the functionality. It if was just a question of managing tables, I'm sure I could find a way to do so under Linux. But for this particular project, I need the VBA...

And while I have thought of actually designing a program that would recreate the various forms and reports, independently of MS Access, it would be a lot of work (and I would have to relearn a lot of stuff which I have forgotten), and my friend would not be able to tweak it without my help (or without hiring someone who can code in whatever language I would have used to create the program). As it is, he is somewhat knowledgeable in MS Access, and is able to create new reports if the need arises, or other such small changes.

So we continue in MS Access. Under Windows.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha!
Cursor, n.:
One whose program will not run. - Robb Russon
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:46 pm Ha!
Cursor, n.:
One whose program will not run. - Robb Russon
Me. Today.

Actually, it will run up until the point at which it tries to start the second CPU in the system. Then, boom (and "razza frazze missing stack pointer mumble snarl initialization (... channels Sydney Scoville with a stream of blasphemy which floods the entire neighborhood with blue air ...) missing documentation kdapt-misbegotten pile of miserable fewmets...")
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

À propos of nothing...

I get frustrated about certain sites, which contain automatically-starting videos (oftentimes completely unrelated to the subject of the page I am reading), and which will automatically switch to a different video, after the previous one is done playing. And said video will switch to a smaller player that stays on top of the page, immobile even as you scroll through the page. And even if you do decide to watch the original video, pausing it just before the end is not sufficient to prevent the next video from playing. You literally have to wait for the next video to start, and then pause that one...

GRRR!

I am glad to see that the browser I use (Brave, based on Chromium, but with built-in ad-blocking and such added) and the ad-blocker I use on top of that do a good job at eliminating ads from most websites I visit. However, a pet peeve of mine is websites that will refuse to display their content unless you either disable your ad-blocker, or subscribe to their service (usually a paid subscription). I understand the need to make money to keep running, but if you are that desperate for revenue, I will move on to another site, rather than comply with such forceful tactics.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Ditto that. Included in this are the sites with videos that jump to a side frame when you scroll down to try and avoid it. Wishing them lumpy mashed potatoes and wrinkles in their socks forever.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

There is a Firefox extension that blocks almost all of that stuff; i seem to recall i didn't get much if asny grief about it when i was using Firefox.

Can't remember the name.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I'm probably going to lose my job with the landscaping company. We have a 30 day probation period, and if we aren't picking up the job like we should, we're out. I'm not really being trained that well, and I'm clearly expected to somehow read minds when given vague instructions. Plus, my sister is the second in command, and working with her was the main reason I was reluctant to do it back around the time I started with Kohler.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I hope you manage to tough it out and succeed with the probation period.

You know, maybe they're not telling you as much, because of the very fact that your sister is the second in command: either they are afraid of showing preferential treatment, and are going too far in the other direction, or they expect you to know more than you actually do, because they figured you'd already know that stuff, seeing as you are your sister's brother.

Maybe if you go to your immediate supervisor (who hopefully is not your sister), and tell them that you want to succeed at this, but need a little more help/instruction... If you frame it as a desire to excel, rather than as some form of complaint, they would look kindly on your situation and help you out a bit more.

Who knows.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another amusing quote I just ran into:
“A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.” - Unknown
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

There's only five people in the whole company, including me. But it's fine, I knew it would suck to work with my sister.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I was just let go over the phone. I didn't even get to finish the 30 days.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:55 pm I was just let go over the phone. I didn't even get to finish the 30 days.
Did they blame "social distancing", to not bother telling you in person?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

No. I was still in the 30 day probation period, and I had another week to go, but they clearly didn't expect me to just learn everything and operate at their level in that time.

It's fine, though, as I was expecting to leave there, anyway.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Perhaps so, but I still think they could have told you in person... To me, that's just about as tactless as someone breaking up by text message, or something...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Perhaps. However, what's done is done, and I'm not worrying about it now. I have enough money to last a little while, too.

Not really sure what job I should even try for now, though. There's no way I'd get hired for an apprenticeship anyway. I might as well wait a couple more weeks, then apply to Kohler again. Apparently, you can fail a random drug test (which isn't how I got fired, by the way) and six months later, get hired again. The shitty part is, I'd end up making those damn Home Depot seats again, and get stuck with a bunch of machines at once.

EDIT: oh, I forgot to mention, I got a minor issue with my car to fix. It's so minor, getting underneath the car to fix it is harder than fixing it. The heat shield got knocked loose.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Duct Tape & Bailing Wire, to the Rescue!

Oh, and DAVE; can you disable any BIOS hotrod parameters to keep the jam from happening?
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:16 pm Duct Tape & Bailing Wire, to the Rescue!

Oh, and DAVE; can you disable any BIOS hotrod parameters to keep the jam from happening?
???
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

🦆 tape for the Heat shield, BIOS features disabled to stop use of second processor/core from crashing PC.

I post weirdher than usual when constrained by the tiny cell phone screen.