More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Atomic

Re: More Stuff

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 am
Atomic wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:19 am Ahem - Captain Kangaroo!
Give the contestant a cigar! :D

(I would have accepted either "Bob Keeshan" or "Ken Garu" as well.)
How well I remember Mr. Moose smirking while Bunny Rabbit grabbed the carrots and ran.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm
AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:17 am
Bookworm wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 am
Admiral Daniel V. Gallery?
Nah - Admiral Dan was an airedale; he'd never have been in command of a commsta.
Sounded like the same sense of humour. (Why wouldn't he have been in command of a comm station? Too small?)
Sorry - jargon. "Airedale" - Naval aviator. Brown shoe Navy.

Different advancement path.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

For the first time in years, I'm going to the doctor. I had to call in for the second night in a row, because shortly after I woke up, the lower left side of my back has been hurting a lot. My dad thinks it might be a kidney stone, which is what I was thinking, though it could also be a pinched nerve, as I once felt a similar kind of pain in my left shoulder for a couple days.

It hurts to move, sit, or lie down.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Is it the worst physical pain you have ever felt in your entire life? If so, it’s probably a kidney stone. Not not, it’s... probably not a kidney stone.

According to Jeff Foxworthy, at least.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Not the worst, but it might be in the top ten. It's kind of like the time I had smashed a nerve in the back of my shoulder, only noticeably lower. It's also making one of "the boys" hurt now.

EDIT/UPDATE: Yup, it's a stone.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm Not the worst, but it might be in the top ten. It's kind of like the time I had smashed a nerve in the back of my shoulder, only noticeably lower. It's also making one of "the boys" hurt now.

EDIT/UPDATE: Yup, it's a stone.
Bummer. :(

Is a session of lithotripsy in your future? or do they think it can be handled through medication?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 am The Flash is supposed to be able to tap into something known as 'the Speed Force', but what little I know of it comes from the recent TV shows, not the more definitive DC comics.
Yeah, I heard of the speed force thing, though I have no idea what that is other than a name for something. I wasn't sure if there had been any sort of explanation given within the movies' continuity, since I think that they've had some connected material in other media (some television shows, maybe some comics).
Dave wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm
Alkarii wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 pm EDIT/UPDATE: Yup, it's a stone.
Bummer. :(

Is a session of lithotripsy in your future? or do they think it can be handled through medication?
Don't follow the advice of one "doctor" I had the joy of getting into an argument with. She suggested all-natural treatment for a patient with a kidney stone: eat lots of pickled and sour foods, to increase the acidity of your stomach and cause the kidney stones to dissolve. The sheer number of problems with that treatment is impressive.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:46 pm She suggested all-natural treatment for a patient with a kidney stone: eat lots of pickled and sour foods, to increase the acidity of your stomach and cause the kidney stones to dissolve. The sheer number of problems with that treatment is impressive.
True. Excessive consumption of pickled cabbage (and thereby the fueling of astonishing amounts of methanogenic activity) is grounds for divorce, eviction, and similar forms of shunning in all 50 states. Explosions too, sometimes. Your archaea might love it; other people, not so much.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

To divert thoughts (& recollections) of Methane/Sulphur related biochemistry, Here is more than you'll ever need to know about...

the Speed Force

edit- Oh, and btw:

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

TazManiac wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:27 pm To divert thoughts (& recollections) of Methane/Sulphur related biochemistry, Here is more than you'll ever need to know about...

the Speed Force

edit- Oh, and btw:

We are Dyslexia of Borg. Prepare to be Asslaminated.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm not sure how, but I may have passed the stone already without noticing it. I haven't felt any pain near my kidney for more than twelve hours, so it's got to at least be clear of the first part of it. The only way I can guess I'd have cleared without notice it is if it was shaped in such a way to allow that and got really lucky.

Though, I'm still assuming I haven't, because I don't expect to be that lucky.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:21 am I'm not sure how, but I may have passed the stone already without noticing it. I haven't felt any pain near my kidney for more than twelve hours, so it's got to at least be clear of the first part of it. The only way I can guess I'd have cleared without notice it is if it was shaped in such a way to allow that and got really lucky.

Though, I'm still assuming I haven't, because I don't expect to be that lucky.
Keep drinking (water based stuff, not alcohol based). Remember, a roiling kidney gathers no stones.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I think I passed the stone fairly easily after it left my ureter. I never felt it leaving, though.

In other news, I saw a thumbnail for a YouTube video about Jeff Bezos's divorce. I didn't watch the video, but the title was pretty funny: "Jeff Bezos lost half his pesos."
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:54 pm Yeah, I think I passed the stone fairly easily after it left my ureter. I never felt it leaving, though.

In other news, I saw a thumbnail for a YouTube video about Jeff Bezos's divorce. I didn't watch the video, but the title was pretty funny: "Jeff Bezos lost half his pesos."
When i was working at Hayes Microcomputer, Dennis Hayes did some INCREDIBLY dumb stuff and got hit with the biggest {up till then, anyway} divorce settlement in the history of Georgia.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Ah, Hayes.

"Dude!, I just got a 24 HUNDRED Baud Modem!, twice as fast as that old 1200B crap!"

(Used to be able to get by with 56K over twisted pair copper just fine; but now basic web pages are ridiculously overwhelming in terms of crap that gets shoved down the pipeline...)

Where are the Flying car... er Fiber Optic Cable?!?, We were supposed to all have Fiber Optic by now!!!!"...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I have fiber optic internet available in my area. I’m not paying for it, but it’s available. Speeds up to about 1gbps.

What I have now let’s me download apps in about 10 seconds. I haven’t timed any downloads of big things, but they’re surprisingly quick, too.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Got fiber optic and 1Gpbs stuff. Now my web pages load so fast they have to wait on all the Javascript sublet sites to respond....

My record so far on a news site (according to NoScript) was 50+ sub links -- nested no less -- that took 4 levels of authorization to access them all.

So much for speedy web!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:52 pm (Used to be able to get by with 56K over twisted pair copper just fine; but now basic web pages are ridiculously overwhelming in terms of crap that gets shoved down the pipeline...)
Don't you just love it when you try to look up some product information on a company's website, and your browser freezes up for thirty seconds so the site can push down a gigabyte worth of data, just so that the web page can pop up an animated holographic video of Clippy asking you if you're be willing to complete a short after-search survey to rate the quality of their web-site customer service?
Where are the Flying car... er Fiber Optic Cable?!?, We were supposed to all have Fiber Optic by now!!!!"...
You do. It's cleverly hidden in your breakfast cereal (check the ingredients list; it's usually right after the B vitamins), and is a Farcebook asset which allows them to monitor and share information about your digestive habits and preferences.
Atomic wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:11 am My record so far on a news site (according to NoScript) was 50+ sub links -- nested no less -- that took 4 levels of authorization to access them all.

So much for speedy web!
Obviously you need a faster PC. In your old one, the retinal scanner and DNA sequencer needed for all of those authorizations is now the bottleneck.

I finally managed to get fiber last year, after a long time of being limited to 3-megabit DSL. I chose the 100-megabit service (1 gig is available for $10 more) as I really don't want to crawl under the house and replace all of the CAT-5 cable with something better that's gigabit-rated. 100MB is plenty good enough for our needs... Gwen can finally access Netflix! 😀
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 amDon't you just love it when you try to look up some product information on a company's website, and your browser freezes up for thirty seconds so the site can push down a gigabyte worth of data, just so that the web page can pop up an animated holographic video of Clippy asking you if you're be willing to complete a short after-search survey to rate the quality of their web-site customer service?
Or when a site is completely non-functional because they use a client-side script to display plain text, and you - being a sane internet user - have a script-blocker?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am I finally managed to get fiber last year, after a long time of being limited to 3-megabit DSL. I chose the 100-megabit service (1 gig is available for $10 more) as I really don't want to crawl under the house and replace all of the CAT-5 cable with something better that's gigabit-rated. 100MB is plenty good enough for our needs... Gwen can finally access Netflix! 😀
Just pay the extra $10 if you want it. Cat5 and Cat5e are fully gigabit capable.

In fact, you can do gigabit on Cat3 - at least up to 10 feet!

Those various ratings they're talking about 'Cat5e is rated to 350Mbps', are mostly bullshit. They're the stable rating at the absolute maximum distance that ethernet supports power transfer. That is, 330 feet. If they run fiber to the street in front of your house, then copper to you - unless your driveway is 300 feet long, you'll get gigabit. Your house definitely won't have any 330 foot runs :)