More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

shadowinthelight

Re: More Stuff

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:There are some vehicles many people would love to see in the real world... which would actually most likely be a herald of a very bad day...
a black ‘67 Chevy Impala, ECTO1, The Mystery Machine, an out-of-place Police Call Box... those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Even worse is seeing a combination thereof... and far, far worse is seeing more than one out-of-place Police Call Box.
Currently still showing on the CW website: Scoobynatural. Yes. Sam and Dean get sucked into the cartoon world of Scooby Doo...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm sure it's old news to many, but I don't watch TV much at all, so I haven't watched that series...

I just ran across two clips from The IT Crowd, and thought they were hilarious:

Moss Introduces Jen To The Internet | The IT Crowd Series 3 Episode 4: The Internet
and the follow-up:
The Internet Speech The IT Crowd | Series 3 Episode 4
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'll check those links, but i the mean time: Here is the current fun I'm having.

- Keeping 'alive Re-purposed Dell PCs (dual-core, 2Gig, orig w/ Win XP) now running Linux and/or Win 10, and doing OK actually.

- Tooling up to try this on a Older Couple to simplify the front end of the OS http://www.eldy.eu/
Eldy is a software that turns any standard PC into an easy-to-use computer for people that have never used a computer before.
Provides into a easy six buttons interface email, internet, chat, videoconferencing, documents, pictures, skype and more.
- Cleaning out a neighbor's Koi Pond, not that there's any fish in it, the Raccoons saw to that long ago...n (huh, two 'C's in Raccoon...)

- BMW 2002; reconnect fuel line diag Ign Switch (it starts w/ the old Screwdriver across the Bendix Terminals...), get it moving under it's own power...

- Suspiciously awaiting the Win 10 Spring Creators Update w/ healthy trepidation...

- Testing and refurbing Old Electronics in expectation of finding them a new home.

- Updated my Monster.com profile (just added four empty lines to Work History*), I really need to 'go back to work', and am getting inundated by folks who's English is not their 1st language. notthatheresanythingwrongwiththat... *(in advance of actually adding the most recent job history to a dusty online work profile)

- Oh, and I'm going to be rehanging a fence's gate that is sagging from the wrong screws being used on the hinges during construction...

man, I feel so lazy.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, it looks like there's a possibility of a code black at work tonight. There's a big storm system heading up from Texas (I'm sure a few of you already know), and there's a possibility of multiple tornadoes that might last a while.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:Well, it looks like there's a possibility of a code black at work tonight. There's a big storm system heading up from Texas (I'm sure a few of you already know), and there's a possibility of multiple tornadoes that might last a while.
Oh joy now I can worry about Julie and Shadow and Shneekey and Dinky and Hansontoons and Opus and... I’m sure there’s another... oh, Bookworm... hmm...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, I think it's already moved up into Arkansas by now, so they should be fine. It wasn't that there were tornadoes (tornados? Spellcheck doesn't highlight either one), just that they could form.

So... About every other thunderstorm that covers a wide area.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"tornadi'... :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Since the storm is going through cattle country, they'd be tournedos of beef.
shadowinthelight

There was a bit of rain and tis still quite windy, but no real storms here.

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

btw- Ubuntu Studio (a variant that combines a suite of many different apps/utils along w/ a front end that isn't the 'new' Ubuntu crrrrrp Unity...) has been a bit delayed in what was to have been an expected Long Term Support release; something that usually had been coming out every two years and would be the plateau users could count on to remain stable and patched for many more years, going forward.

In any case, the Numbering Scheme had become easy enough to identify because it was 'Year'.'Month' of release; as in the current LTS ver being 16.04 for 2016, April.

On top of the numbering scheme there where Names given as well, usually alliteration is at work...

(lots of fun w/ that one; "Does Stan Lee name Ubuntu releases ?" Google it...)
Linkies:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_version_history

All that prelim has been leading up to the forthcoming version for 2018; 18.04.
(Ok, scroll down through all the alliteration...)

2.1 Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog)
2.2 Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog)
2.3 Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger)
2.4 Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake)
2.5 Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
2.6 Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
2.7 Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
2.8 Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)
2.9 Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
2.10 Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
2.11 Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
2.12 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
2.13 Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
2.14 Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
2.15 Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)
2.16 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
2.17 Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)
2.18 Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)
2.19 Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)
2.20 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)
2.21 Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
2.22 Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet)
2.23 Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf)
2.24 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
2.25 Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak)
2.26 Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus)
2.27 Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)

The new ver is being hailed with the following headline...

Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver Beta is released!

Now, I know that was a long way to go to get to the line 'Bionic Beaver', but still...
shadowinthelight

What's next? Crazy Cockatiel? Deadly Doberman? Erotic Elephant?

Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Well, it looks like there's a possibility of a code black at work tonight. There's a big storm system heading up from Texas (I'm sure a few of you already know), and there's a possibility of multiple tornadoes that might last a while.
Oh joy now I can worry about Julie and Shadow and Shneekey and Dinky and Hansontoons and Opus and... I’m sure there’s another... oh, Bookworm... hmm...
Houston area had wind and rain punctuated with lightning and thunder for a couple hours around midnight. There was a tree down across some power lines a couple blocks up. Might have been the reason for the brief power outage at my place. Haven't seen news about other areas in Texas that may have been affected by the storms. After a few early morning drizzles, the skies dried up but stayed cloudy. I took in the Houston Art Car parade with kid-unit and her husband this afternoon. It was good, saw several old favorites and some new additions.

I'm in Houston now, moved to a townhome. Sort of close to Jabberwonky from what he's said. Sold the old place as-is, I'm not sure the buyer knew what he was getting into. But his money was green and he seemed to be excited about it. "Good luck" were my last words to him at closing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:btw- Ubuntu Studio (a variant that combines a suite of many different apps/utils along w/ a front end that isn't the 'new' Ubuntu crrrrrp Unity...) has been a bit delayed in what was to have been an expected Long Term Support release; something that usually had been coming out every two years and would be the plateau users could count on to remain stable and patched for many more years, going forward.

In any case, the Numbering Scheme had become easy enough to identify because it was 'Year'.'Month' of release; as in the current LTS ver being 16.04 for 2016, April.
Ha! I'm still hanging on to Ubuntu Studio Trusty Tahr 14.04... :roll:

I want to upgrade. I know I need to upgrade. I just never seem to have the time to do it. You know, making sure I have more than rudimentary backups, time to rearrange everything to my satisfaction afterwards... stuff like that.

I'm actually wondering what will happen when I do try to upgrade, whether it will upgrade to 16.04, or if it will tell me I need to install 18.04 from scratch... (Is 18.04 out, or just the beta? Do I still have time?)

Well, I guess I'll find out, when I finally take the time to do it... Maybe I can do it tomorrow... Oh, wait: I can't, I'll be visiting houses tomorrow... Maybe later, then... :mrgreen:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I tried out linux a while back -- a version called Knoppix -- and while it seemed nice, I never quite figured out how to actually install something. Yes, SUDO <whatever> but the actual download/locate/install/it-works part didn't click for me reading the documentation.

Is there a dumbass overview somewhere I could consult?

P.S. -- I liked the mnemonics like BIFF - Bark If Forward Found (a mail tool), and SUDO - System Utility Do. Never found that list again, just the command names. Anybody know where it is?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:I tried out linux a while back -- a version called Knoppix -- and while it seemed nice, I never quite figured out how to actually install something. Yes, SUDO <whatever> but the actual download/locate/install/it-works part didn't click for me reading the documentation.

Is there a dumbass overview somewhere I could consult?
http://knoppix.net/wiki3/index.php?titl ... stallation is a good place to start.

Reading this confirms what I had recalled about Knoppix... it really isn't intended as a distro on which you would then install other programs or packages. It's specialized as a "live CD" environment, to work as a whole using the software included in the CD image. It's good for trying out Linux and as an emergency toolkit for rescuing other systems, but it's not intended to be the basis for a long-running installation on a machine.

Your be better off with a general purpose distro such as Debisn or Ubuntu with one of the desktop environments (I currently favor Xfce).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yep. To follow along on what Dave-bob just said; you should consider downloading an ISO that can be used to either burn to CD (really, these days onto a blank DVD due to size) and/or a 4 or 8G USB Flash Drive so as to end up with what is known as a LiveCD.

By booting from the 'LiveCD' (which, again, might as well be a flash drive) you can demo the OS of your choice without making any changes to your existing hard drive's contents. As in, when you boot from the LiveCD, instead of choosing 'Install' you choose 'Demo'. (I paraphrase for effect.)

The Front End of most, but not all, Distros acts and feels like Win XP/7/10, etc w/ a conventional Menuing layout and mouse driven action. Only in rare occasions is the regular user inclined to resort to using Command Line action, (in a Terminal, emulating the old Mainframe terminals, but most folks if old enough think of it as a 'Dos Window'...).

Those hardy souls who either have an old PC to tool around with (esp now that, after 13+ years Microsoft has stopped putting out patches for Win XP*, or want a bit of a snappy performance bump to that mid to ancient PC, and /or want to try something New, Are fed up with the 900 lbs Gorilla that is Microsoft, realize you don't really have to be a Rocket Scientist to run something thats not Mainstream.

* Win XP is Dead, But not really, because a lot of Point-of-Sale units use a form of embedded WinXP, so 'patches continue')

I think we have a cobwebby thread about Linux/Ubuntu around here somewhere, but if so or not I can resurrect it or start a new one.

My encouragement to new users and/or a certain Bus Driver would be to think about the layout being something like this:

- Dual Boot (means you have an existing [Microsoft] OS like XP or 7 or Win 10 and you install the Linux OS alongside of it. Menu on start up will default to one of your choosing but you can select the other at any time. Also that the new and old OS's live on separate parts of the hard drive (partitions).

- Separate Linux OS and 'HOME' partitions as well. (Means the OS lives in it's own space, can be blown up and 'Nuked from Orbit' should you so choose, but you retain the 'My Documents' aspect of your user account.)

I haven't used, long term and in real life, other 'Distros'* than Ubuntu and specifically Ubuntu Studio (with it's xfce front-end) but Google is your friend, at least in terms of finding you lots of web sites that stack the different versions up against one another.

*(shorthand for Distributions, differing variants that provide a great deal of choice in the look and feel of the user experience as well as focus on different aspects and OS provides like Low Hardware Overhead or Lots of Eye Candy or Audio/Video Production, etc, etc.)

Specific to Lake Wrangler's query: if you choose to Update via an 'automated' process provided from within the 14.04 you have now you will be almost guaranteed to end up with ver 17.10 overwriting the 14.x you have now. I do not recommend this.

Rather, I would have us start a new thread where not only can we focus on your specific setup and conditions but others may gain from the experience. Or we could take the nuts and bolts stuff offline. Either way. In the end you will have a better time if you install something like the very stable 16.04 to a individual partition, either by deleting the existing 14.04 partition during the process OR (using the LiveCD) move your Single OS & Data (Home directories) over to make room for a new 16.04 partition to be created. The 14.04 can be removed post install as it will be in place but dormant at that stage.

I know I tend to write in dense and long winded sentences and paragraphs, but it's very doable- an everyday existence w/ 'Other Than Microsoft' as your Operating System.

Lets us endeavor to persevere...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Yep. To follow along on what Dave-bob just said; you should consider downloading an ISO that can be used to either burn to CD (really, these days onto a blank DVD due to size) and/or a 4 or 8G USB Flash Drive so as to end up with what is known as a LiveCD.

By booting from the 'LiveCD' (which, again, might as well be a flash drive) you can demo the OS of your choice without making any changes to your existing hard drive's contents. As in, when you boot from the LiveCD, instead of choosing 'Install' you choose 'Demo'. (I paraphrase for effect.)
Yep, that's the best way to dip your toe in, without committing. But most likely, if you do it well, and long enough to be a trial that's worth it, you'll find after a while that you most likely will want to jump in fully.
TazManiac wrote:The Front End of most, but not all, Distros acts and feels like Win XP/7/10, etc w/ a conventional Menuing layout and mouse driven action. Only in rare occasions is the regular user inclined to resort to using Command Line action, (in a Terminal, emulating the old Mainframe terminals, but most folks if old enough think of it as a 'Dos Window'...).
In fact, many distros make it a point of making the interface user-friendly, in such a way as to not need the Terminal except in eiither "extreme" cases, or for very pointed and specific tasks. And even if it sometimes can look like Win XP or Win 7, it is usually much more configurable. For instance, you are not stuck with only one "taskbar" at the bottom. You can add "control panels" (the taskbar equivalent in Linux) at the top, on the sides, and so on. Have them retract when not hovered over, or not. Roll up windows into their title bar, to keep them on the screen while not taking much space, instead of minimizing them and having to look for them on the taskbar. Have your system configured to highlight whichever window your mouse hovers over, without having to click on the window to make it the current one. There are many, many more ways to configure things. Much more than in Windows, no matter which version. And I'm sure I'm not even using half of it.
TazManiac wrote:Those hardy souls who either have an old PC to tool around with (esp now that, after 13+ years Microsoft has stopped putting out patches for Win XP*, or want a bit of a snappy performance bump to that mid to ancient PC, and /or want to try something New, Are fed up with the 900 lbs Gorilla that is Microsoft, realize you don't really have to be a Rocket Scientist to run something thats not Mainstream.
My old laptop, which I bought used from a friend, ran Win XP 32 bit. And ran it very slowly. Now, it's still somewhat slow, but still faster than before, now that it runs Linux Mint, Debian edition. The Cinnamon interface looks better than XP ever did, and ahving Linux on the laptop did boost the speed. And while I did read up on Linux for a while, before making the jump, I am still not fully versed into it, but can manage to do most things just fine.
TazManiac wrote:* Win XP is Dead, But not really, because a lot of Point-of-Sale units use a form of embedded WinXP, so 'patches continue')
So, XP is dead, long live XP? :P
TazManiac wrote:I think we have a cobwebby thread about Linux/Ubuntu around here somewhere, but if so or not I can resurrect it or start a new one.
Well, this thread was specifically about Ubuntu Studio 16.04. There was also a thread about Win 10, how great it is, how it sucked, how it spied on you, and what alternatives, such as Linux, one might want to use...

But a general thread about Linux, without being concentrated on a specific distro, does not exist. I am "planning" on writing a thread (as in a succession of multiple small posts) describing my experience in switching to Linux, the hurdles I had to overcome, and the successes I had, but it is far from ready to post...
TazManiac wrote:My encouragement to new users and/or a certain Bus Driver would be to think about the layout being something like this:
I wonder what bus driver he means... :roll: ;) :lol:
TazManiac wrote:- Dual Boot (means you have an existing [Microsoft] OS like XP or 7 or Win 10 and you install the Linux OS alongside of it. Menu on start up will default to one of your choosing but you can select the other at any time. Also that the new and old OS's live on separate parts of the hard drive (partitions).
Not only do I dual boot, but my two OSes live on actual separate drives.
TazManiac wrote:- Separate Linux OS and 'HOME' partitions as well. (Means the OS lives in it's own space, can be blown up and 'Nuked from Orbit' should you so choose, but you retain the 'My Documents' aspect of your user account.)
Been there, done that. On both disks. And since Windows cannot read any Linux file/disk partition format, while LInux reads NTFS just fine, I backup my Linux documents onto my Windows Documents partition every time I have to boot into Windows, so it serves as a first stage backup as well.
TazManiac wrote:I haven't used, long term and in real life, other 'Distros'* than Ubuntu and specifically Ubuntu Studio (with it's xfce front-end) but Google is your friend, at least in terms of finding you lots of web sites that stack the different versions up against one another.

*(shorthand for Distributions, differing variants that provide a great deal of choice in the look and feel of the user experience as well as focus on different aspects and OS provides like Low Hardware Overhead or Lots of Eye Candy or Audio/Video Production, etc, etc.)
I used two tools for helping me decide, the first time around, which distro to put on my laptop, besides the various blog posts comparing various distros: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... stro_made/ (includes a very nicely made flowchart) and Distrowatch.com, a site that reviews distros and helps make head or tails of it all.
TazManiac wrote:Specific to Lake Wrangler's query: if you choose to Update via an 'automated' process provided from within the 14.04 you have now you will be almost guaranteed to end up with ver 17.10 overwriting the 14.x you have now. I do not recommend this.
Actually, since 14.04 is an LTS, whenever I get a message informing me that I should update, it recommends updating to 16.04, the next LTS. The problem I fear now, is that 18.04 is going to be an LTS, so it might want to upgrade to that, instead of 16.04 like it's been wanting me to do. So I need to get my butt in gear, and upgrade while it's still suggesting I upgrade to 16.04...
TazManiac wrote:Rather, I would have us start a new thread where not only can we focus on your specific setup and conditions but others may gain from the experience. Or we could take the nuts and bolts stuff offline. Either way. In the end you will have a better time if you install something like the very stable 16.04 to a individual partition, either by deleting the existing 14.04 partition during the process OR (using the LiveCD) move your Single OS & Data (Home directories) over to make room for a new 16.04 partition to be created. The 14.04 can be removed post install as it will be in place but dormant at that stage.
Interesting concept, installing onto a new partition, and removing the old one afterwards. If it stops suggesting 16.04 as an upgrade, I might just do that.
TazManiac wrote:I know I tend to write in dense and long winded sentences and paragraphs, but it's very doable- an everyday existence w/ 'Other Than Microsoft' as your Operating System.

Lets us endeavor to persevere...
I don't mind long-windedness. I'm often guilty of it myself... And living outside of Microsoft's shadow actually feels pretty good. And Linux comes with so many software options, giving me many tools which I never could have purchased for Windows. The only times I switch to Windows are when I use Skype for a weekly bible study video conference (Skype is not quite as developped, under Linux, although that is changing, and may even already be OK to use, were I to upgrade my Linux Distro), if a tool does not work well in Linux (for instance, I bought a USB microphone, which is visible in Linux, but which, for some reason, Audacity will not recognize. But when I boot into Windows, Audacity recognizes and lets me use the USB mic. Also, it happens some times that VLC will give me trouble with a DVD - such as not playing the sound right - but will play just find in Windows.), or when I work on an MS Access database for a friend. MS Office does not play very well with Linux, and the VB for Applications, which I use behind the various forms in the database, is not compatible with Libre Office's Base program (their version of a Database manager.) So I have to be in Windows to do it. But apart from those three cases, I am always in Linux. It does everything I need: document writing, browsing the web, edit videos, play various media, manipulate images, access my emails, etc. And once I purchase an actual audio interface, instead of just a USB mic, all my recording needs should be met directly under Linux.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lake ain't the only bus driver on here, y'know.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Lake ain't the only bus driver on here, y'know.
Not anymore, anyway*...

(Congrats once more, by the way!)

Although I was the only bus driver to discuss Linux distros in recent posts... So there! :P
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yay! Some good info.

What Dave was saying about " it really isn't intended as a distro on which you would then install other programs or packages." Yeah - that. It's got like 10 different text editors and all sorts of versions of the same thing, but trying to install, say GIMP in native Linux form? Not a clue.

And I remember getting it originally as a disc crash recovery tool (it worked) and a way to move partitions around (worked too). But for full up operations... hmmm. Time to get some use out of my old XP machine. I had tried to dual boot my W2K box (long ago) without much success. It can be done, but not worth the effort now. So -- try one of the Ubuntu types I guess. Project for a rainy day.

Thanks all!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff