More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

ShneekeyTheLost

Re: More Stuff

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Catawampus wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:And a second one, which I probably should heed, as well:
“Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.” - Napoleon Bonaparte
Though you want to be careful taking advice from a guy whose life choices led to massive amounts of destruction and being exiled on a little rock in the middle of the ocean.
And in the process, changed the history of Europe, to the point that the era surrounding his life is known as 'The Napoleonic Period'...

If I would critique this quote, it would be his failure to do enough deliberation before Waterloo, although none could say he did not stop thinking and go in when action came...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I found out why I haven't heard back from the body shop.

Because I was having trouble with the application not cooperating (it demanded two street addresses and three cell phone numbers), their HR lady had me email her my resume, and said that she'd handle it from there.

My dad came home and asked me why I didn't apply (and in his typical asshole fashion, interrupted me while I was in the middle of a sentence, trying to explain my side of things), and apparently, that lady must have just ignored it. They'd already hired people to those positions.

But, the service manager at the dealership is supposed to talk to someone today about another person, and will try to find out what the holdup is.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:Because I was having trouble with the application not cooperating (it demanded two street addresses and three cell phone numbers), their HR lady had me email her my resume, and said that she'd handle it from there.

My dad came home and asked me why I didn't apply (and in his typical asshole fashion, interrupted me while I was in the middle of a sentence, trying to explain my side of things), and apparently, that lady must have just ignored it.
Do you have a copy of the e-mail in some sort of "sent messages" folder, with the date and time on it?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I should. I don't delete anything from the sent folder.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:I should. I don't delete anything from the sent folder.
Hmm... I didn't know people could smell their emails... does that help to sort them, or something? ;)

Deposits an old-fashioned mailbox into the pun jar.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

The word 'track-pad' & the old product 'Scratch n' Sniff' come to mind...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's an unusual theory for you:
“... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.” - Robert Firth
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, this is one way to get rid of a fire ant's colony...

More of the same, but in much bigger dimensions...

And here's a similar one, on a smaller, used-to-be-but-no-longer-is-edible scale...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I won't be getting the job at the dealership, because they "have too many people," and can't hire anybody right now. Which means they lied to me when they told me they had an opening.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

“Software obeys the law of gaseous expansion - it continues to grow until memory is completely filled.” - Larry Gleason
The same can be said about documents/files and hard drives, stuff and houses, etc... In all cases, getting a bigger one just encourages the expansion... :roll:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I remember hearing one of George Carlin's bits where he was talking about people getting houses to hold all the stuff they get, eventually getting bigger houses so they can get more stuff.

On another note: I turned in an application yesterday to a place that's always hiring (but not Home Depot). Hopefully I hear back soon.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

If the people at NASCAR ever hoped that I was going to ever come back to being a stock car racing fan, the Brickyard 400 basically threw it completely out the window.

That wasn't a race. It was a travesty.

A twitter follower said that if anyone ever thought that soccer was a boring sport, they should be forced to watch this year's Brickyard 400 in its entirety.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:.

A twitter follower said that if anyone ever thought that soccer was a boring sport, they should be forced to watch this year's Brickyard 400 in its entirety.
{rant on}

OK, first off this is not directed at Joe - who is an upstanding chap in all respects who I have a great deal of respect for.

HOWEVER,

I have never, ever for the life of me understood the obsession with spectator sports.

If you want sports, PLAY THEM - don't just sit on the bleedin' couch and belch pork rinds and Milwaukee's Best at the announcer. Get out, kick a ball around, play softball or baseball or even rugby if you feel like donating blood. Don;t be a passive absorber of circuses - get out there and have some fun!

I played football (the proper kind) in school, and I've been behind the wheel of more than one race car over the years (oval track and autocross/road racing) and pit crewed for a few as well. Far prefer to do that than watch any sport on the box.

Sorry, rant over...nothing to see here....move along...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:I have never, ever for the life of me understood the obsession with spectator sports.

If you want sports, PLAY THEM - don't just sit on the bleedin' couch and belch pork rinds and Milwaukee's Best at the announcer. Get out, kick a ball around, play softball or baseball or even rugby if you feel like donating blood. Don;t be a passive absorber of circuses - get out there and have some fun!
A good point. I think a lot of people get turned off to participating in sports at a young age... I blame the American high school system for it. In most school system, participating in competitive team sports is required; there are often only a very limited number of sports to choose from, and some of them (e.g. American football) have a rate high rate of injury. The high school years are awkward, socially, for a lot of kids, and the cliquishness of the "jock" system is hard on those not athletically inclined. I suspect that many never shake the association between competitive team sports, and the whole "being required to strip naked and shower in front of your peers while going through puberty" experience.

It's even worse in smaller school systems. A cousin of mine grew up in a rural Pennsylvania community with very small schools, on even smaller budgets. The only way they got by at all was to skirt child-labor laws, having academic courses in which the students were both learning, and working on school upkeep at the same time. The "domestic science" classes were actually running the cafeteria and sewing the student uniforms. The wood- and metal-shop classes were doing carpentry and repair on the school buildings.

And the "sports"... an utter scam. My cousin was drafted into what amounted to a "competitive cleaning" scrub team, doing janitorial work after school each day. They called themselves the Rugbyters.

You can understand why he stays as far away from sports teams as he can, these days.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I got turned off to team sports when I had surgery on my Achilles' Tendons. Bilateral Gastroc Resection. One after another, so I was on crutches for half my freshman year.
Well, I was in the middle school football and I had made it through hell week and tryouts and whatnot for freshman junior varsity football.
My school was almost Texan in how they treated football - I think over half the school budget was somehow dedicated to the varsity team, probably through illegal means (using money meant for, y'know, education, on the football team and stadium).

When I showed up with crutches and an immobilizing boot, every single footballer immediately locked onto the weak target. Said I was faking it, said I was too scared to play the game. They knocked my crutches out from under me, pushed me down stairs, yanked on my backpack while I was on ramps, scooted my desk or chair when I tried to sit.

And most teachers (rare exceptions in the math and science departments) thought the same and turned a blind eye. Admin ignored reports from the teachers who actually reported things.

I quickly got good at one-footed martial arts as well as crutch-wielding for self-defense, which hust caused the "faking it" story to be strengthened. There's no way a cripple could fight off a jock, then three jocks, then the entire offensive line, right?

And because it was endoscopic, I couldn't really use the surgical scar as proof. It was tiny.

I grew to hate the culture surrounding athletes and team sports with a vehemence surpassed only by my hatred for rapists, sexual assaulters, and murderers. And you'd be surprised how many of the athletes from that school turned out to be part of both groups.

It was a few weeks before I got the boot off for the second surgery when the local vigilante, then a senior and a fellow Boy Scout, threatened everyone to leave me the hell alone or they would face his wrath. He was 6'7" and some 300lbs of hillbilly muscle, so things calmed down then. He's how I got into the same sort of activities - so I ended up taking his place for a while both at the school and then in the community, because the cops weren't much better than the teachers and admin.

I replaced team sports with things like rock climbing, martial arts, surfing and snowboarding.

There is a severe wrongness with the way athletes are taught to behave and I think it contributes greatly to both how fans and athletes behave as adults.

And anyone who doesn't fit in gets screwed. It's a microcosm of how society functions in the real world. Privilege, favoritism by the system in power, and "other people" getting downtrodden.

And often, it bleeds into the real world - see People v. Turner for an example of how an athlete can get off easy for a heinous crime.

Forgive me if I seem overzealous. But I feel there's a lot more wrong with sports than most people seem to notice.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

While I don't have quite the same experience, I just grew to hate sports because of how athletes act in general. Even discounting those who should be locked up, most of those I'd met are just generally douchebags.

Plus, I'd never really had fun playing sports, even when winning.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:On another note: I turned in an application yesterday to a place that's always hiring (but not Home Depot). Hopefully I hear back soon.
Just keep in mind that you can't advance very far in the Mafia unless you have the right family heritage.
jwhouk wrote:If the people at NASCAR ever hoped that I was going to ever come back to being a stock car racing fan, the Brickyard 400 basically threw it completely out the window.
Well, associating racing cars with bricks just sounds like a recipe for dull disaster anyway.
Dave wrote:I think a lot of people get turned off to participating in sports at a young age...
I never really cared much for playing organised sports because I found the rules to often be too restricting and tedious and detracting from the fun. Contact sports were always problematic as well, as I had very much the wrong reflexes and got banned from soccer and rugby for playing too rough. So I never got into the habit of playing sports when I was a young adult, and I've remained that way since.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Funny thing is, except for a few instances, hockey players tend to be the nicest guys off the ice.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I never tried to get a job working for the mafia. I'm not Italian, as far as I'm aware. Besides, after a while, I'd probably go all Boondock Saints on my employers, and not only would I wind up out of a job again, that doesn't look good on a resume.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jab6.png
jab6.png (221.8 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.