More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

As if I didn't have enough webcomics to read, already... It is good, I'll give you that.

Of course, now that I know of this heretofore unknown web collective, I had to also check out some of the other webcomics on the site...

No, I don't think I'm addicted to webcomics... why do you ask? :roll:

It's not like I have way more webcomics than i could ever keep up with, or something... Oh, wait... I do, don't I...

Never mind...
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:SO, i'm working up a zine for an amateur press alliance (ask if you're interested), and i found a great pic online a while back,

And then i had an Evil Thought.

Thus:
catbox.png
Wait... you mean there are still fan 'zines? I thought they all died out with the 90's. Lot of great authors got their starts in the 'zines, always thought we lost something when they went the way of the dodo.

I'm working on a virtual writer's circle with a couple of friends to work on some stuff I've been banging my head on a keyboard over to see if it's actually worth sending to a publisher. Granted, if I send it to someone like Baen, it's going to sit on a slush pile for around a year (it is at least military sci-fi, although more 'grunt's eye view' than space opera, with a well fleshed out backdrop government, so right up their alley), but I want it to be worth reading before I even consider formatting it up and converting it to a .pdf.
TazManiac wrote:Well done on the two Covers!

& Schneeky; one day I'm going to try Mint. I'm pretty well stuck w/ Ubuntu Studio (defaults not to crappy 'Unity' but rather XFCE as a desktop...)

I don't know if I want green accents all over the place though... ;]
Mint is a Debian-based distro, it's effectively a reskin of Ubuntu with a better Update Manager. The GUI I use is Cinnamon, but you can use MATE, XFCE, or KDE if you prefer. You can change the colors in the preferences. You *can* use the low-latency kernels if you want, I know Ubuntu Studio uses them by default, but you'll need to add the PPA to your software sources, which is as easy as putting in your sudo password and giving it the ppa link.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

There are still zines in general (not as many as once) but this is for SFPA, an APA - Amateur Press Association - which is basically a paper USENET group with a sixty-day latency.

I've been a member of SFPA since September '75, and i have only totally missed one bi-monthly mailing in that period.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:No, I don't think I'm addicted to webcomics... why do you ask? :roll:

It's not like I have way more webcomics than i could ever keep up with, or something... Oh, wait... I do, don't I...
I stop reading at least one every month... I'm only currently reading eighty-some... have on occasion been a touch over 100.

With Firefox and descendants (and possibly some other Netscape descendants), you can put multiple tags on a bookmark. In the bookmark organization page you can get a list of your tags, and copy a tag into a folder such as those in the bookmark toolbar. Once there, it *mostly* acts like a folder, containing all the bookmarks that bear that tag. (You can't sort it and I've never tried deleting a bookmark from a tag - I have removed a tag from a bookmark.) I have three tags each (Firefox gripes if you try to "open all in tabs" for a folder with 15 or more bookmarks) for Monday through Friday, two for Saturday, and one for Sunday, plus one for monthlies and five for different reasons I no longer read a comic (as long as the link is valid and still leads to the comic, I keep it); a comic's bookmark is tagged with the days I check it for updates. This arrangement (rather than using actual folders) means there is really only one bookmark per comic, which makes updates a lot simpler.

(I also have an actual folder with collections of links to favorite individual pages of comics.)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I have not counted them recently, but there was one point where I had over 700 or 800 bookmarks for different webcomics... :mrgreen:

Mine are organized by categories. I have a few base categories of gag-a-day type comics (computer or technology related, political, sweet, etc), then I have the story-driven folder, which itself is subdivided into more categories: Anthro - furries - etc, Christian authors, Anime (I know, not webcomics, but still there anyway), fantasy, Drama, Heroes, Slice of Life, Sci-fi, Manga. A few webcomics deserve their own subfolder, because of the various links of stuff related to them, such as Girl Genius, College Roomies From Hell!!! (the three exclamation points stand for quality), Graveyard Greg (though most of the links in there no longer update, that I know of), and, of course, Wapsi Square.

I also have some folders for webcomic-related forums, completed comics, comics on hiatus, Art tips by comic authors, webcomic portals, should I ever want to look for more comics, webcomic review sites, and dead links.

I have tried to cut back, over the years, but I always end up adding more. I particularly fall for story-driven ones, with good quality art.

Sometimes, I will look through my bookmarks, wonder what a particular link is, click on it, and remember, only to be engrossed in the story for the next few hours because I had not kept up with it and now have a huge backlog of archive to go through...

I have a browser extension that I try to use to cut back on my time reading comics, but I don't always turn the extension on...

I need help. I think. :oops:

I know I need to cut back, but the truth is, I don't really want to... :roll:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I may be about to either lose my job, or get into a bit of trouble.

See, earlier today I was cleaning a van for a customer (who also happened to be a WW2 veteran), and it took a while. As I was cleaning this van, three sold vehicles were brought back for us to clean. All but one of the people who were supposed to be on today were in the shop, and I was the only person working for a little while. When I finished the van, it was time for me to go to lunch, so I went.

I came back, and the first of those three vehicles was still back there, untouched. The other two sold units were already delivered, and nothing else had been cleaned by the prep team (of which I am part).

At one point, a sales manager came back to ask about a vehicle, and I thought he was looking for the one I took it upon myself to clean, so I told him why there was a delay. Turns out he wasn't looking for that vehicle at all, but he was glad I let him know that everyone else in my department seems to have no problem just letting a vehicle sit until I do their share of the work for them. I'd also mentioned that my supervisor gets pissed at me if I tell her that other people aren't working.

So, because she's likely to hear from the service manager, I'm likely to get lectured for being honest and having a better work ethic than everyone else.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Or maybe the sales manager will describe this conversation to the store manager, and you'll end up with a new boss on the prep team...

... maybe even one who sometimes uses the name "Alkarii"...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Not likely. I haven't been here for a year. My supervisor is in charge of all of detail, not just my side of the shop.
AnotherFairportfan

magitedd.png
magitedd.png (227.15 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Sometimes I ferget to reply to all the things I intend to...)

- A-man; shut up dude. That is my professional advise. It ain't right, it grates yer soul and chaps yer hide and causes you to hold in what is likely a contribution to the Greater
Good. Unfortunately, 'they don't want to hear 'helpful information'. That said, I still back your work ethic and personal integrity, so keep up the good fight. And yes, Dichotomies are a specialty of mine.

- Multi-Tab Bookmarks are kept as HTML code, and as such can be resorted by editing outside of the Browser.

- Linux/Debian derivatives; I default to XFCE based Ubuntu Studio, but I've tried Mate a little bit, Xubunt & Lubuntu a little bit more, and a tiny bit (But don't like the front-end) of Edubuntu.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:I'm working on a virtual writer's circle with a couple of friends to work on some stuff I've been banging my head on a keyboard over to see if it's actually worth sending to a publisher. Granted, if I send it to someone like Baen, it's going to sit on a slush pile for around a year (it is at least military sci-fi, although more 'grunt's eye view' than space opera, with a well fleshed out backdrop government, so right up their alley), but I want it to be worth reading before I even consider formatting it up and converting it to a .pdf.
GACK NO! Don't convert to pdf unless you expect the recipient to PRINT it, on PAPER, in EXACTLY the layout you anticipate, with no alterations or additions that might affect pagination.

Which means: never for any ebook site, and never for any editor or publisher.

Baen in particular - I just checked - wants submissions in rtf format.

Smashwords prefers submissions in doc format - if you submit in that format it gets published in about a dozen different formats and is automatically sent to about 30 distribution sites (but not Amazon); if you submit in any other format it gets published in the format(s) you submit in and only in certain ones of the sites that support those formats.

Amazon also wants submissions in "Word format", which is rather vague (do they mean doc, docm, or docx?).
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

This is the first one to make me laugh, recently:
“It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.” - Rod Serling
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Seen on someone's shirt, today:
I'll keep wearing black until they invent a darker color
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:Seen on someone's shirt, today:
I'll keep wearing black until they invent a darker color
The lettering was white, perhaps?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Or you could use thick paint, maybe even something slightly glossy. That way you could use black paint on a black shirt.

Then it would be a shirt that seems to ask "how much more black could it be?"

The answer is none. None more black.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Or you could use thick paint, maybe even something slightly glossy. That way you could use black paint on a black shirt.

Then it would be a shirt that seems to ask "how much more black could it be?"

The answer is none. None more black.
Shirts aren't actually all that black.

This stuff is black, although I suspect it's probably too fragile to use as a shirt coating.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The T shirt I want reads; "This US ARMY VETERAN is HEAVILY MEDICATED for YOUR PROTECTION<"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:The T shirt I want reads; "This US ARMY VETERAN is HEAVILY MEDICATED for YOUR PROTECTION<"
CafePress will make you pretty much whatever T-shirt you want. If I recall correctly, you can upload a piece of art and have them add above-sies and below-sies text, or do the whole thing as a pre-rendered graphic image with your own fonts and layouts.

You can have coffee mugs or other such things made to order, and to match or complement the T-shirt.

I'm sure there are other outfits offering similar services - CafePress is just the best-known.
AnotherFairportfan

heron.png
heron.png (139.43 KiB) Viewed 7952 times
AnotherFairportfan

"The Pentagram of Venus". Because the orbital periods of Venus and the Earth are in an almost perfect 8:13 ratio. they trace out his pattern:

https://www.indy100.com/article/watch-v ... un-7662101