More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"Acquire a bicycle and ride it...you'll not regret it- assuming you live." Mark Twain.
Bikes were a LOT less safe in Sam's day.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"Acquire a bicycle and ride it...you'll not regret it- assuming you live." Mark Twain.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:What a marvelous morphing mime mind mine meme!
shame2.jpg
And, yes, I do realize full well that for me to make such a statement, is an exercise in hypocracy fully equal to anything seen during any of the recent Presidential and Vice Presidential debates.

funn-is-not-successful-in-getting-the-famous-mime-marcel-marceau-to-play-a-role-in-his-silent-movie.jpg
if i remember right, wasn't that word the ONLY word spoken by anyone in that film?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:if i remember right, wasn't that word the ONLY word spoken by anyone in that film?
You remember correctly.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You guys are reminding of the (damn near almost) All Female Cast in the 1939 film, the Women
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I got rear ended during my lunch break yesterday. This one I saw coming about two seconds before it happened.

I went through an uphill intersection, and the next light had just turned green, which meant there were vehicles still stopped. I stopped, and, I don't know why, but I immediately looked at my rearview mirror. I had enough time to think "Shit," while simultaneously going limp against my seat, which probably kept me from getting hurt.

I was surprisingly mellow about the whole thing. I'm wondering if the cop or the other driver's mother (16yo guy, by himself; he was all panicky) wondered if I was high or something after I left.

So far as I can tell, the trunk, trunk lid, bumper, and any connecting parts are going to need replaced.

Oddly enough, this time was also an SUV. Three out of the four times I'd been hit, it was an SUV. WTF????
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Glad to hear you're OK.

How much damage on his end? (SUVs are not made as tough as they used to be...)

Will his insurance pay for the damage?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, he was at fault, which, surprisingly, he told both his mom and the cop, so I imagine they'll have to. All that I saw on their vehicle was a buckled hood, smashed front bumper, and maybe the grill.

I probably caught him off guard. When he got out to see if I was okay, I opened my door and asked if he was okay. That probably helped his nerves a little.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Oddly enough, this time was also an SUV. Three out of the four times I'd been hit, it was an SUV. WTF????
People who drive SUVs, sometimes seem to fall into an "I'm driving an tank, big, beefy, invulnerable" mentality, I think. When this happens they don't drive defensively and don't pay proper attention to what's going on around them. Here in California, drivers of SUVs with four wheel drive are notorious for getting themselves in trouble up in the mountains in snow season; they frequently over-estimate their vehicles' ability to stop, and push too hard for the conditions.

It could also be just the fact that SUVs are very popular these days... lots of them on the road. Combine that with the modern love for driving while distracted (on the phone, texting, etc.) and it's a recipe for the big crunch.

Hope you're truly OK... don't be shy about setting a doctor for a checkup if you have headaches or etc. in the days to come!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I doubt I'd have that kind of issue from this. Because I was against the seat, I was jarred less than I would have been if I slipped and fell on my butt. The last time I got rear ended, I have been leaning forward.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:Here in California, drivers of SUVs with four wheel drive are notorious for getting themselves in trouble up in the mountains in snow season; they frequently over-estimate their vehicles' ability to stop, and push too hard for the conditions.
My sister's first husband was into 4WD vehicles and going deep into the woods - back in the late 1970s - and told me that 4WD simply means you get stuck further from help.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another quote from my wallpaper setter, for which I can't find any attribution:
There are many kinds of people in the world. Are you one of them?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Oddly enough, this time was also an SUV. Three out of the four times I'd been hit, it was an SUV. WTF????
People who drive SUVs, sometimes seem to fall into an "I'm driving an tank, big, beefy, invulnerable" mentality, I think. When this happens they don't drive defensively and don't pay proper attention to what's going on around them.

It could also be just the fact that SUVs are very popular these days... lots of them on the road. Combine that with the modern love for driving while distracted (on the phone, texting, etc.) and it's a recipe for the big crunch.
Also, SUVs are usually considerably more massive than other cars, with all the problems of momentum and inertia that that invloves. So if you drive an SUV, you're more likely to hit something but more likely to survive the crash. Smaller cars are more likely to avoid wrecking, but will be in a worse shape if they can't avoid it.

A few weekends back I got rear-ended twice within a five minute interval. By the same driver. He wasn't driving an SUV, however. Perhaps getting rammed by other cars is contagious online?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:
I don't think that I am. Do I get a refund?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
I don't think that I am. Do I get a refund?
Didn't you read the sign when you came in? Sorry, all sales are final! :mrgreen:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

You got rear ended twice in just a few minutes by the same guy? How does that happen?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote:You got rear ended twice in just a few minutes by the same guy? How does that happen?
I would immediately suspect that some sort of intoxicant was involved - and I'm not referring to Catawampus.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote:
Alkarii wrote:You got rear ended twice in just a few minutes by the same guy? How does that happen?
I would immediately suspect that some sort of intoxicant was involved - and I'm not referring to Catawampus.
Are you saying that Catawampus is an intoxicant, but just not the specific intoxicant that caused the accidents??? :?
:lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Funny, as the wife and I are about to buy an SUV. (Okay, Dodge calls it a "Crossover", but it's about 60% SUV.)

We did have this conversation about the higher center of gravity. I'm familiar enough with the concept, as I am the former owner of a Dodge Dakota.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

600witchjo.png
600witchjo.png (239.85 KiB) Viewed 7626 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.