More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: More Stuff

Post by Catawampus »

Over the years I'd seen Disney's movie The Black Hole in bits and pieces, out of order. A couple of days ago I saw a copy of it sitting on the shelf at the local library and decided to give it a go. I figured that by seeing it from start to finish in one sitting, it would make more sense and seem less silly than it had appeared before.

I was wrong.

So very wrong.

(It does have some nice model work, though.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I suppose you can think of it as an object lesson. When you throw two hours of your life towards a singularity, don't expect to get it back.

"You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll kiss five bucks goodbye!"

:P :roll:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It made sense to me when I saw it in theaters originally...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I may or may not have read a novelization of the movie... I can't quite be sure...

I may or may not have seen the movie... I can't quite be sure...

I know I've seen the ending, and it made no sense to me (Reinhardt and Maximillian merging? Say what?)

I think I may want to see it, some day, to be sure of how I should feel about it...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah, the ending was... Yeah.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Is it bad that the moment someone mentioned Reinhardt I immediately started thinking of Overwatch?

Yeah?

Ok, I'll get off yer lawns, quit shakin yer canes at me...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Yeah, the ending was... Yeah.
The ending is basically the final segment of Fantasia..
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My PS3 has been fixed, so I can go pick it up either tomorrow, if they're open, or Monday.

Damn thing has been broken since January.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, the console had to go back to the shop for diagnosis, as it still wasn't reading discs. The new drive is under warranty, so I don't think I need to pay for the diagnostic, at least. Knowing my luck, it'll be something other than the damn drive.

Also, my paycheck wasn't deposited, and I turned in the direct deposit form almost two months ago. So I'm gonna get the bank's routing number when I go by there during lunch, then I'm going to get several forms and keep submitting them until they figure out how to file the damn things properly.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Alkarii wrote:Well, the console had to go back to the shop for diagnosis, as it still wasn't reading discs. The new drive is under warranty, so I don't think I need to pay for the diagnostic, at least. Knowing my luck, it'll be something other than the damn drive.

Also, my paycheck wasn't deposited, and I turned in the direct deposit form almost two months ago. So I'm gonna get the bank's routing number when I go by there during lunch, then I'm going to get several forms and keep submitting them until they figure out how to file the damn things properly.
you shouldn't need to physically go into the bank just to get the routing number...
if you have any paper checks from that bank, the routing number is the rest of the digits that are NOT your account number or the numerical check number at the bottom left of the check... or you can go to the banks website, they should have their routing number in a FAQ or someplace like that.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, the thing is, I don't write checks, and I've never ordered any. Granted, I know how to write a check, I just haven't needed to.

The problem is that the people who are supposed to take care of it won't. Though, the new owner changed up the management a couple weeks ago, so maybe the new service manager may help sort this out.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Alkarii wrote:Well, the thing is, I don't write checks, and I've never ordered any. Granted, I know how to write a check, I just haven't needed to.
AH!.. Gotcha. I'm pretty much a cash only kind of guy for every-day type stuff, and credit card for the big-ticket items, and i haven't written an actual paper check in... um... 30+ years?... wow, that's been a long time... anywho... you MAY need to order a starter pack or whatever they call it now days, as some employers REQUIRE a paper check to start up the direct deposit process (YMMV). i know that because i rarely actually USED my starter pack, the number sequence was so low that one of my earlier employers thought i was trying to commit fraud and refused to use the check unless it was a higher sequence number... grrr... the dummies made me have to order like a thousand checks... JUST to get a number they thought was high enough to process without ever once contacting my bank to find out that yes, i indeed was a legit account holder... i think that i STILL haven't finished off even my first pack yet, and i still have a shitload of ones i will NEVER use due to not needing them anymore...grrr...
The problem is that the people who are supposed to take care of it won't. Though, the new owner changed up the management a couple weeks ago, so maybe the new service manager may help sort this out.

ah... that's a hopeful sign i guess... maybe that's one of the reasons they changed up staffing?? or maybe they were unable to process the request properly during the lead-up to the actual change in staff??
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I spoke to the HR rep for the Arkansas platform of our auto group, and told her all but one person in my department has tried to get direct deposit set up, and it still hasn't gone through. She said to get everyone's names together, and get with the new service manager, and she'll research it, find out what's going on.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

1) You need to take care of this with an actual person, not just submitting forms to 'somewhere/somebody'.
The Human on the other end _wants_ to take care of this, get it in their hands.

2) Checks can be kicked off from whatever number you desire; "I want the first check of my new Account to start with number 2,939,565... OK, that was random, but my point...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

scantrontb wrote:
Alkarii wrote:Well, the thing is, I don't write checks, and I've never ordered any. Granted, I know how to write a check, I just haven't needed to.
AH!.. Gotcha. I'm pretty much a cash only kind of guy for every-day type stuff, and credit card for the big-ticket items, and i haven't written an actual paper check in... um... 30+ years?... wow, that's been a long time... anywho... you MAY need to order a starter pack or whatever they call it now days, as some employers REQUIRE a paper check to start up the direct deposit process (YMMV). i know that because i rarely actually USED my starter pack, the number sequence was so low that one of my earlier employers thought i was trying to commit fraud and refused to use the check unless it was a higher sequence number... grrr... the dummies made me have to order like a thousand checks...
Last time I opened a new checking account, the bank employee handed me the check order form to look over and verify it was correct. I picked up a pen and added a 1 in front of the starting check number. So I never had a check on that account with a number less than 1100.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

A little-known fact: The cheer "Hooray for our side!" has recently been tracked back to the fact that Lady Godiva rode side-saddle.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I may not have a job anymore. My supervisor came up and said today was my last day, because the higher-ups were making him get rid of a couple people. He said he didn't think it was fair to fire someone who comes to work every day to work, and they might be able to transfer me to the other Nissan dealership in the group.

I'll find out tomorrow if I have to get another job. Not holding my breath about that transfer.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Alkarii wrote:Well, I may not have a job anymore. My supervisor came up and said today was my last day, because the higher-ups were making him get rid of a couple people. He said he didn't think it was fair to fire someone who comes to work every day to work, and they might be able to transfer me to the other Nissan dealership in the group.

I'll find out tomorrow if I have to get another job. Not holding my breath about that transfer.
ook... a bad case of "the squeaky wheel gets greased"... either that or they really ARE doing a re-org from the top down, and you just happened to be the bottom-most...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I once got hired onto a janitorial company. I was with them for about a month when one of our biggest customers made a bad deal and lost a lot of money... So they cut their contract with our company.

My whole department got laid off.

Sorry you got screwed by your company. It happens all to often nowadays.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!