More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

MerchManDan

Re: More Stuff

Post by MerchManDan »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Three different sources.
As the old song goes: One of those things is not like the others.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, my brother found out his wife is pregnant again. Now both of my siblings will have three, and my mom's gonna say I need to catch up, since I still haven't even had sex yet. I don't really see much point in getting involved with anybody, and I've got a couple issues to address if I want anything to last more than a week.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

For what it's worth: my mother was fine with the message that "Hey, each of my brothers have two boys each, they're good kids, the family will go on... so I don't need to have kids myself." Mom gets to concentrate her "spoil the grandkids" instincts on a smaller group of kids, hence more spoilage per kid :-)

(Since I'd married a woman who definitely did not want to have children, this all worked out well).
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

"GRANDPARENTS: So simple even a child can operate them>"
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I personally have the 'Grampa' ribbon with cluster, possibility of another cluster in the near future. My daughter has FORBIDDEN me from teaching explosives to her boys... I will teach it to my SON-IN-LAW, HE can teach it to the boys, no worries. Homebrew? Start with coarse ammonium nitrate fertilizer....
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I personally have the 'Grampa' ribbon with cluster, possibility of another cluster in the near future. My daughter has FORBIDDEN me from teaching explosives to her boys... I will teach it to my SON-IN-LAW, HE can teach it to the boys, no worries. Homebrew? Start with coarse ammonium nitrate fertilizer....
Just remember not to make the classic mistake of homebrew.

"We all added the yeast!" (Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard)

and also recall that iodine makes an excellent antiseptic, ammonia water is great for cleaning up messes, and putting them together... is interesting.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:"GRANDPARENTS: So simple even a child can operate them>"
So, grandparents have a 12:00 12:00 12:00 flashing on their foreheads if there isn't a grandchild around? Or would that be the case, only if grandfather is a vickar?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:...and also recall that iodine makes an excellent antiseptic, ammonia water is great for cleaning up messes, and putting them together... is interesting.
THAT will make an interesting experiment... I had not heard of that one...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:THAT will make an interesting experiment... I had not heard of that one...
For values of "interesting" which equate to "loud, unstable to the point of being incredibly touchy, and the military reportedly spent a lot of money trying to figure out how to stabilize it enough to make it useful and gave it up as a bad job."
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Homebrew? Start with coarse ammonium nitrate fertilizer....
Ha... a friend of mine got sent out to get more more nails and stuff for a bathroom remodel job we were doing and it took a REALLY long time for him to come home, when he finally showed up he explained that apparently one of the garden supply guys was doing some maintenance on his car at work during his lunch break... changing the oil in his car.... he put some rags under the pan of oil he drained so that it wouldn't ruin the 50 lb. bags of fertilizer that he set it on at a nice convenient height.... another worker saw it and called the fire department and they evacuated the building until the bomb squad got there to take care of it...

he had absolutely NO CLUE that he had almost created the makings for ANFO... one of the ever-so-popular explosives that MythBusters use ALL the time! if it had been diesel instead of just motor oil, then it may have gone up...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wonderful day today - NOT.

First, landlord was supposed to come in to look at the intercom system - but never showed.

Then, I find out my uncle passed away.

Last, I find out my mother-in-law got into a bad car accident, where her car's essentially totaled. She's okay, at least.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:he had absolutely NO CLUE that he had almost created the makings for ANFO... one of the ever-so-popular explosives that MythBusters use ALL the time! if it had been diesel instead of just motor oil, then it may have gone up...
My recollection is that ANFO requires significant preparation to make a mix which can be detonated, and also requires a primary (and maybe even a secondary) detonator to set it off. Just pouring oil on a sack of fertilizer might create a significant fire hazard but from what I've read it'd be very unlikely to be able to develop the temperatures and pressures needed to detonate.

Good to be cautious about it, though!
jwhouk wrote:Wonderful day today - NOT.

First, landlord was supposed to come in to look at the intercom system - but never showed.

Then, I find out my uncle passed away.

Last, I find out my mother-in-law got into a bad car accident, where her car's essentially totaled. She's okay, at least.
Oh, man... that sounds like at least six months of downeritude, all in one big bolus. Very sorry it hit you like that...
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:Then, I find out my uncle passed away.

*HUGS!!* I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I'm glad your mother is okay, but I'll definitely be keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers as you handle the loss of your uncle.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So my brother told my mom about his wife being pregnant again. She was all "whatever" about it. Also, according to their doctor, at this stage, the growth hormone levels are more than twenty times what they should be, so twins or triplets would be my guess.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Life just is, so Huzzah to recent events, even those to which it would seem inappropriate; Huzzahs all around...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah, life is definitely full of good and bad stuff. I've had to stop school to make time for getting a couple full-time jobs... Gotta pay bills and debts off, because I'm getting just a little sick of my Dad.

But... I made a friend recently who's lit up my life. I find I am able to deal with everything else just fine and go to sleep happy every night because of her.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:So my brother told my mom about his wife being pregnant again. She was all "whatever" about it. Also, according to their doctor, at this stage, the growth hormone levels are more than twenty times what they should be, so twins or triplets would be my guess.
Your mother may now be in the "Oh, another N years of being expected to drop my plans on a moment's notice so I can baby-sit the grandkids" stage of things. That might tend to reduce the pressure on you to add yet another crop of younglings to the clan :)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Actually, my brother's in-laws do most of the helping. But my sister, on the other hand, has my parents going to her house several nights a week to watch her kids.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Woah... That's gonna turn into a crapstorm of epic proportions...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Woah... That's gonna turn into a crapstorm of epic proportions...
Yeah, the Ashley Madison hack is shaping up that way. That much embarrassment, released into the environment all at once, could result in some awkward effects. A sudden surge in the population of divorce-court lawyers, followed by serious depletion of available courtroom resources, and a slowdown in handling other civil law cases because the judges are all busy. Then, once everybody gets over the fuss, the mob of divorce-court lawyers starve and their population crashes. Nature can be cruel sometimes.

(EDIT: while perusing the comics, I saw one of the ads being rotated in was a "15% off divorce work" coupon from a local lawyer. I think the feeding frenzy has already started :lol: )

It could maybe have been worse. Consider what might have happened if the hackers had used the stolen details for blackmail rather than just releasing them en masse (as some people fear might happen with the "security clearance" information recently hacked from the US government files).