More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:How did Sheriff Bart get involved? :D
Just a Little good luck, I imagine. ;)
As one who Brooks movies with Wilder action, this one was mostly Slim Pickens.
WHAT IN THE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS IS GOING ON HERE?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:
Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:How did Sheriff Bart get involved? :D
Just a Little good luck, I imagine. ;)
As one who Brooks movies with Wilder action, this one was mostly Slim Pickens.
Wow :shock: I'm overwhelmed... that was an amazingly good comeback!

In fact, I feel as if I might be in shock. Probably need a doctor or paramedic in a moment or so. Is there a corpsman in the house?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Unfortunately, you'll just have to walk it off.

What's irritating is that I only got parts of the comeback, and I have a feeling that I would have gotten the other reference, but I have a bad memory for things like that, so I might be mistaken. Unless I'm mistaken.

Maybe I can use this thing's camera to post a picture. It seems to be what this thread is about. (I would check, but I'm out of time. On break at work, so...)

Also, I have no pictures on this thing yet.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

In fact, I feel as if I might be in shock. Probably need a doctor or paramedic in a moment or so. Is there a corpsman in the house?[/dave's quote]

He's in the house but busy choking on raisinettes, might be few minutes...

And apologies, I forgot how to dis-embed over the quota quotes like Lakewrangler explained to me after I mangled areply to him.
Last edited by Hansontoons on Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Alkarii wrote:Unfortunately, you'll just have to walk it off.

What's irritating is that I only got parts of the comeback, and I have a feeling that I would have gotten the other reference, but I have a bad memory for things like that, so I might be mistaken. Unless I'm mistaken.

Maybe I can use this thing's camera to post a picture. It seems to be what this thread is about. (I would check, but I'm out of time. On break at work, so...)

Blazing Saddles is the reference. Dave started it yesterday with "a laurel and heart handshake". I took it rapidly downhill from there
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:What's irritating is that I only got parts of the comeback, and I have a feeling that I would have gotten the other reference, but I have a bad memory for things like that, so I might be mistaken. Unless I'm mistaken.
There were references to other stuff? Until the "Slim Pickens" one (which I have no idea what it refers to), I never realized there might have been... :roll:
Alkarii wrote:Maybe I can use this thing's camera to post a picture. It seems to be what this thread is about. (I would check, but I'm out of time. On break at work, so...)

This is not a photo thread, by any means, that I know of. It just happens that Fairportfan (sorry, AnotherFairportfant ;) ) is rather proud to show us his photos for various reasons, lately... but if I'm not mistaken, this thread is mostly to put stuff that will be talked about for a few posts at most, and should not get their own thread because of the ephemeral nature of said posts. They can be odd news items, random thoughts, whatever...

So don't feel obligated to post photos only, here...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Alkarii wrote:What's irritating is that I only got parts of the comeback, and I have a feeling that I would have gotten the other reference, but I have a bad memory for things like that, so I might be mistaken. Unless I'm mistaken.
There were references to other stuff? Until the "Slim Pickens" one (which I have no idea what it refers to), I never realized there might have been... :roll:
Slim Pickens was the actor who played the "lead henchman"... the head of the gang of toughs who worked for Hedley LaMarr. Didn't care for baked beans... and wasn't above winning a fight by pulling rank ("Screw you, mister... I work for Mel Brooks" or something like that).

I lost count of the number of times that movie ran a bulldozer straight through the fourth wall.

Gene Wilder did a great job... but it would have been glorious if John Wayne hadn't turned down the role of the Waco Kid. :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:Gene Wilder did a great job... but it would have been glorious if John Wayne hadn't turned down the role of the Waco Kid. :lol:
The only reason Wilder did it was as a favour for Brooks in return for Brooks directing Young Frankenstein, which was basically Wilder's project. (Which, i assume, is why Brooks does not - in the flesh - appear in the film. He is, however, i am informed, there as a gargoyle somewhere on the castle wall.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Okay, so I have seen that one. But it's been a while, so I couldn't remember names.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:Okay, so I have seen that one. But it's been a while, so I couldn't remember names.
^^ That!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

After having seen "Blazing Saddles", how can you forget it? :shock:

One of my favorites, and I'm not that big a western fan. I can remember that, about 15-20 years ago, sitting around a friends apartment pool and us urging two young Air Force trainees to go across the street to Blockbuster and rent the tape. (I said it was 15-20 years ago) We didn't have to pay up on the assurance that we'd refund the cost of renting it if they didn't laugh their a**es off...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I saw it one time, and lots of other stuff came along. But "Sheriff Bart" rang a small bell. About like the bell on a cat's collar, in another part of the house, when you have company.

I'm not good at remembering names, anyway.
AnotherFairportfan

Once again, this year's "Disney" film looks more like a "Pixar" film than the actual Pixar film seems to be shaping up to be.

Definitely not shelling out theatre-ticket money for this unless the reviews are uniformly highly positive.

I'll probably watch it when it comes out on DVD, which is more than i can say for Monsters University.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

OMG Lewis Black as Anger is PERFECT.
Lewis Black wrote:CONGRATULATIONS SAN FRANSISCO, YOU'VE RUINED PIZZA!
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Actually, it kinda looks amusing...

Of course, I probably won't see it in theaters, because I'll forget... but if it shows up on Netflix, I'll most likely watch it. I hardly ever go to the video store, so renting it is most likely not going to happen...

We'll see...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I never go and see a movie. I wait for it to show up on FX. If that never happens... Well...

<_<
>_>

yo ho, yo ho...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

AnotherFairportfan

Arizona Cardinals Player Arrested For Sprinting Through Crosswalk, Fleeing Cops

Yahoo wrote: An Arizona Cardinals player committed a hit-and-run of a new sort on Monday, when he knocked down a drunk man while sprinting through a crosswalk and then continued running to evade police.

You read that right.

Most hit-and-runs involve motorized vehicles, but in linebacker Alex Okafor's case he's just a very large man recklessly bulldozing pedestrians in his path. According to the police report, Okafor was running through a crosswalk in Austin, Texas, when he ran into a drunk man, who fell to the ground.

Police witnessed the collision and only responded when Okafor continued running instead of stopping to help the man up. In fact, Okafor came face-to-face with one of the police officers.

Instead of stopping, he executed a football move: "faked left and then darted right proceeding to run southbound across the intersection," according to the report.

Okafor refused to respond to police commands for him to stop, for which he can now be charged with evading police.

Eventually, the police caught up to Okafor, although it required three of them to tackle the former Longhorns player and get the situation under control. The linebacker said he running through the crosswalk and didn't stop because he was in a rush to get to an aquarium-themed bar in the city.

Fortunately, the man struck by Okafor will not be pressing charges, which saves him a lot of legal trouble. Unfortunately, the police arrested him on grounds of evading arrest, as well as for an outstanding warrant.

The warrant, for what it's worth, relates to a past pedestrian violation.

It sounds weird to say this, but the next time Okafor hits the bars in downtown Austin, maybe he should drive
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

So I clicked on one of those pointless lists of pointless stuff, 10 Shocking Last Words Of Death Row Inmates:
James D. French was the last person to be executed under Oklahoma's death penalty laws in 1966 before the death penalty suspension. It was said that French wanted to commit suicide, but was too afraid. Instead, he murdered his cellmate to compel the state to execute him. French was executed via electric chair. Making light of the situation, his last words were: "How's this for a headline? 'French Fries.'"
I have to tip my (metaphorical) hat to someone who goes out with a pun.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »