More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:I'm equally disturbed by the notion of making a screwdriver that looks like a revolver.
That's the "macho imagery" part.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Rarely is it a good idea to carry something which can easily be mistaken for a live firearm. You might make a police officer bolt for cover.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Picture i took with the phone a year or so ago - let's touch all the bases - pandering to macho imagery and condescending to women ("See? We made it a pretty pink for you cute grrls..."):
that, and while the man is shown 'front on' - the woman is in a comic book~esk 'butt and boobs' pose.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:Rarely is it a good idea to carry something which can easily be mistaken for a live firearm. You might make a police officer bolt for cover.
Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver? Potentially funny. Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver shaped like a gun? You will be the one that's screwed.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Dave wrote:Rarely is it a good idea to carry something which can easily be mistaken for a live firearm. You might make a police officer bolt for cover.
Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver? Potentially funny. Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver shaped like a gun? You will be the one that's screwed.
Yeah, that's just nuts.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:
Yeah, that's just nuts.
If i saw someone do that, i'd just bolt.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Dave wrote:Yeah, that's just nuts.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:If i saw someone do that, i'd just bolt.
No kidding. Let somebody else be the hero & wrench it out of his hand.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver? Potentially funny. Telling a cop "screw you" while holding a screwdriver shaped like a gun? You will be the one that's screwed.
Dave wrote:Yeah, that's just nuts.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:If i saw someone do that, i'd just bolt. (Sorry, FF, I already used that one ;) )
MerchManDan wrote:No kidding. Let somebody else be the hero & wrench it out of his hand.
That's the kind of poor separation between tools and weapons, which shows up over in "Order Of The Stick".

Elan is particularly prone to choosing the wrong kind of implement when he wants to hit his evil brother Nale on the head.
AnotherFairportfan

{shot with the tablet in low light}
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Image

{shot with the tablet in low light}
my son: "Awwww! The kitty is helping with chores."
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

DinkyInky wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:{Rocket in a bucket}
my son: "Awwww! The kitty is helping with chores."
Ummm, i don't think "helping" is the exact word i'd pick.
AnotherFairportfan

Okay - who let the hipsters out to play again?

1-Hour Photo app brings the feeling of film photography to mobile devices
Felix Esser/DigitalTrends wrote: Many of you will remember the days of film photography, when you had to bring your finished film roll to a lab and, in the best case, wait an hour until you received the images. In the meantime, between the moment you pressed the shutter button and the moment you took possession of your prints, you were left in the dark about how your photos had turned out.

Today, with digital photography, you get immediate results. This has a positive side to it, because it means that you can check your photo and, if youre not happy with the result, take it again impossible with analog photography (with the exception of expensive instant film). But it also has a downside, as it means people take many more pictures than they actually need and think less about what theyre shooting before clicking the shutter. (NPRs All Things Considered recently discussed this issue with smartphone photography.)
So, when you don't get to see your results immediately, you take a more deliberate approach in your photography, as you may not get a second chance in many cases. There is also another reason to wait for your pictures a little longer, the makers of 1-Hour Photo claim. On the apps website, they write that by the time you see your photos, the moments they've captured have already become memories, which changes how you feel about them forever. As the name suggests, you have to wait an hour before you can view the photos you take. Once theyre developed, the images appear in a film-like analog quality.

Are you up for a more deliberate approach to your mobile photography? 1-Hour Photo is available for iOS devices via Apples iTunes store. Whether the app will also make it to other platforms such as Android is unknown for the moment. Alternatively, you can just undust your old analog camera and shoot pictures the old-fashioned way on actual film.
Of course it'll make it to Android - as a percentage of total users, the number of poseur wanker hipsters who use Android devices is probably, oh, at least two-thirds of that of iThing users.

Note - i did not say that using an iThing necessarily makes you a PHW, but iThings do seem to attract a disproportionate number of PHWs. I remember when Instagram became available to Android users, the iThing universe was up in arms that the peasants were going to be allowed to invade their playground.

Besides, even shooting film (especially since i was using the PEN FT half-frame) i would usually overshoot by a factor of two or three (or more) if i had to get the right shot right then. With digital? Heh.

Showcase Camera & Video in Atlanta used to teach a photography class which required you to buy a $49 plastic-lens 120 roll-film camera and use it for your assignments and projects. A major part of the class was learning the limitations, quirks and strengths of your equipment, and learning to minimise and/or exploit their effects.

That made sense.

This is just silly.

============

EDIT to add: I really hate having to manually translate between two flavours of BBCode
AnotherFairportfan

Mila Kunis: No ‘We’ Are Not Pregnant

quote name="The Daily Beast"]Pregnant actress Mila Kunis, 36, who is engaged to Ashton Kutcher, opened up about how she is sick of men saying “we” to describe a couple’s pregnancy. “Stop saying, ‘We’re pregnant.’ You’re not pregnant! Do you have to squeeze a watermelon-sized person out of your lady-hole? No. Are you crying alone in your car listening to a stupid Bette Midler song? No. When you wake up and throw up, is it because you’re nurturing a human life? No,” she declared.

Kunis went on the amazing tirade after host Jimmy Kimmel started a sentence, “My wife and I are pregnant.”

Kunis also spoke about her lack of ability to drink, declaring that if men do throw up, “It’s because you had too many shots of tequila. Do you know how many shots of tequila we had? None. Because we can’t have shots of tequila. We can’t have anything because we’ve got your little love goblin growing inside of us. All you did was roll over and fall asleep.”[/quote]
{original story at E!}

It was, of course, scripted. But i suspect she meant every word.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Okay - who let the hipsters out to play again?

Besides, even shooting film (especially since i was using the PEN FT half-frame) i would usually overshoot by a factor of two or three (or more) if i had to get the right shot right then. With digital? Heh.

Showcase Camera & Video in Atlanta used to teach a photography class which required you to buy a $49 plastic-lens 120 roll-film camera and use it for your assignments and projects. A major part of the class was learning the limitations, quirks and strengths of your equipment, and learning to minimise and/or exploit their effects.

That made sense.

============

EDIT to add: I really hate having to manually translate between two flavours of BBCode

I prefer taking pictures with film. And I was taught to overshoot like that - shoot, subtract a stop, shoot, add a stop, shoot. I have a little snapshot digital camera for Share-with-family holiday type pics, but use the 'good' 35mm SLR for 'important' pics - which often means I leave the digicam in the sock drawer and just take the 35mm.....

*edit* Also lets you do stuff like use high-contrast black and white film (one of my faves), push the developing, solarize (although that can be digitally done), double-expose in-camera (some of 'em), etc. Sigh.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
AnotherFairportfan

Since getting processing for my half-frame film done became prohibitively expensive/inconvenient (the afore-mentioned Showcase being the nearest - fifty miles, at 20MPG, $3.50/gallon), while digital cameras i could afford began (barely) reaching acceptable levels, i went digital.

Actually, the Nikon is good enough that - like film - the limiting factor on image quality is pretty much the glass, not the sensor.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Funny how these two threads converge:

- M. Kunis' 'stop calling it "We...", re: pregnancy'..., well, as of yet, and an old film w/ Billy Crystal notwithstanding,
I am unable to gestate children. Got the wrong chromosome set. Still, when the kid was on the way it was a very much 'we' situation, both before, during, and after he was born.

But anyway, the gal has symptoms, so she's entitled to bitch a little bit.

I was also going to comment on Ms. Kunis in that I've gone out of my way to avoid her earlier work (Ashton Kutcher be damed) in 'That 70's Show', despite actually having been around for the Seventies.

What I can attest to is her decent, and recent, performance in the 'Great and Powerful OZ'; a modern made prequel to the 1939 classic.

The convergent part, for me, is the wife-ll unit was a photography student when we 1st met. Being 25 years ago means it was all about the Silver Nitrate back then.
AnotherFairportfan

Flowers and Bees

And Flowers and Trees:

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

My son took these(wow, quite a while ago. I have not uploaded anything recent he's shot in a while) when he borrowed my camera and laid down in the grass and waited for them to show up:

http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Buzz-Buzz-128082241
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Buz ... -128094962
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/The ... -128095918
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Hoo ... -128096480

That bunny actually ended up sneaking close enough to tickle him with his whiskers, and my son stayed still until he was satisfied that this human was only interested in looking.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

I was lucky with that bee. It just happened to be there, and i had the long lens on, so i didn't have to get close enough to disturb it.

Wish i'd managed to catch it in flight, though.
AnotherFairportfan

DinkyInky wrote:My son took these(wow, quite a while ago. I have not uploaded anything recent he's shot in a while) when he borrowed my camera and laid down in the grass and waited for them to show up:

http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Buzz-Buzz-128082241
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Buz ... -128094962
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/The ... -128095918
http://dinkyinky.deviantart.com/art/Hoo ... -128096480

That bunny actually ended up sneaking close enough to tickle him with his whiskers, and my son stayed still until he was satisfied that this human was only interested in looking.
Nice bunny pics.