No school today

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

No school today

Post by Fairportfan »

The Gainesville city schools have decided that a day on which the predicted high temperature is 28F (which is the current temp at 0730) and the predicted low is going to be 6F and the Weather Service has issued a wind chill advisory* from noon today onward is not the day for school to be starting up again from winter vacation ... so Maggie and Natalie are home today.

===============

* As low as ten below.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Leak

Re: No school today

Post by Leak »

Bah, I can beat that - here it's no work today, since the 6th of January is a holiday... :P
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

22 below F temps plus wind chills means most of the school districts in the state are closed.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:22 below F temps plus wind chills means most of the school districts in the state are closed.
Ditto, plus icy roads, and drifting snows equal all roads closed excepting emergency due to a State of Emergency being called. School was cancelled early yesterday when they predicted high double digit wind chill. Before the State shut down. By a superintendent known for NOT allowing snow days. SInce he took over, we have had three late starts, but no closings.

It is an eerie day. Usually on a snow day, you hear laughing kids. It's practically a Ghost town.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well, not here. It was 16 degrees when I left home this morning (windchill knocking that down to just 6), but since it's clear as a bell outside, and it will warm up to about 33 by 3pm...well no need to close. I honestly don't think we'll ever get cold enough temps here in Dallas that schools and businesses close when the weather and roads are clear.

Hope that all the rest of you folks dealing with the ridiculous cold are staying warm!!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

1°F here, plus strong winds and lots of snow, but the schools are open. Which is actually a bit unusual. Many of the kids here live miles away down very narrow and winding mountain roads, so the school district normally will just close the schools when road conditions are bad for the sake of safety.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wind chill warning continues. When I put my car into the garage, the thermometer read -22°F in my car. Even with a moderate wind, that makes for a wind chill of -40°(F or C, doesn't matter).

It got all the way up to -4°F today. It's predicted to get back down into the -20's again.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to keep from stiffening up, because every joint in my legs and back are whining over the dryness and cold (even though we have the heat cranked).

Oh, and I still have to go to work tonight. And tomorrow. Sucks working at a place that never closes.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

This is what the cold weather is good for.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Meh... that's one of the things i am DANG GLAD to NOT be in Michigan for anymore... up here in Seattle, the weather is a balmy 42F right now, with an expected high of 50F by Friday!!... and a low of 40 tonight, with the lowest for the week being on Saturday... only 38... i mean, come ON, i actually had to scrape FROST off my windshield off this morning!!

heck this reminds me of the book by John Dalmas "The General's President" written way back in ?1956? i think... the date the book was set in was 1999 and the Russians and us had these energy control devices designed by Tesla, and they were (mis)using them as weather control devices, covertly, in order to continue the Cold War... Literally in one case... AWESOME book! and i would vote for Mr. Haugen in a heartbeat if he were to ever be a real person...

:P :P i hope everyone stays warm and safe wherever they are in this screwed up weather we're having...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac