Guess the Geo

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Guess the Geo

Post by jwhouk »

I've already put this up in some of the other forums I frequent; might as well throw it up here:

In case you didn't catch a recent xkcd strip where it was mentioned, there is now a flash-based game called Geoguessr. The idea is simple: given the street view for Google Maps, try to figure out where you are by exploring out from the starting point.

You get points based on how close you are to the actual starting point; you guess by double-clicking on the map of the world - which you can zoom in and out - at the location where you think the original street view is located.

It's fun and addictive. I've actually managed a score of 21,850 without assistance, and 32,371 using a second tab for Google search. There was even one time where it plopped me down right in the same complex where Kath and Atsali landed in Mexico!

Beware, however - there are some times where it puts you in a diabolical spot. I had to give up on one round because it put me... well, nowhere. Google "-18.904797, 142.327567" and do a little "street view". I don't know what happened, either.

Feel free to post your scores and brag about how close you got to the actual spot!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Re: Guess the Geo

Post by jwhouk »

My most recent game - total of 32,197.

To see the results, click this second link.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Nice, quite addictive. I got about 11,000 points on my first game. I did try to google a creek name in Canada, LOL, and I was way off on the other side of the country thousands of miles off!
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

32,323 points. The river bridge one was hard.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

32,388 points. I'm proud - I got within 6 meters of a place in Russia!