A Steal at $28K

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by TazManiac » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:14 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 am
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm
lake_wrangler wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:17 am
I guess that would make more sense. I suppose some purists would object, but let them... :P
Hot rods are an art form in and of themselves.

In the 40s/50s/60s engine swaps and suspension upgrades were common, though there was subset of hot rod culture that specialised in getting max performance out of cars' original Ford flathead engines {which Ford didn't discontinue until some time in the 50s - 1958, i think}.
I believe that the Ford production plant in one of the south american countries (Brasil?) Kept making the V8-60 until the 70's or 80's.
The last original style VW Bugs had Fuel Injected motors...

By 2002, over 21 million Type 1s had been produced, but by 2003, annual production had dropped to 30,000 from a peak of 1.3 million in 1971. VW announced the end of production in June 2003, citing decreasing demand, and the final original Type 1 VW Beetle (No. 21,529,464) rolled off the production line at Puebla, Mexico, on 30 July 2003, 65 years after its original launch. This last Beetle, nicknamed El Rey (Spanish for "The King" after a legendary Mexican song by José Alfredo Jiménez) was delivered to the company's museum in Wolfsburg, Germany.

User avatar
lake_wrangler
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by lake_wrangler » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Just last Sunday, when I filled up before driving to my dad's birthday brunch, a van filled up, next to my truck. A 73 VW van... Admittedly, the owner said it was costing her a fair bit, to keep it alive... I told her I knew the feeling (mine being a 1991 GMC Suburban...)

Typeminer
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Typeminer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 pm

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:09 pm
Just last Sunday, when I filled up before driving to my dad's birthday brunch, a van filled up, next to my truck. A 73 VW van... Admittedly, the owner said it was costing her a fair bit, to keep it alive... I told her I knew the feeling (mine being a 1991 GMC Suburban...)
Got rid of a 1970 VW van in 1984. And I'd rather have the Suburban. :)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Bookworm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:19 pm

TazManiac wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:14 pm
Bookworm wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 am
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Hot rods are an art form in and of themselves.

In the 40s/50s/60s engine swaps and suspension upgrades were common, though there was subset of hot rod culture that specialised in getting max performance out of cars' original Ford flathead engines {which Ford didn't discontinue until some time in the 50s - 1958, i think}.
I believe that the Ford production plant in one of the south american countries (Brasil?) Kept making the V8-60 until the 70's or 80's.
The last original style VW Bugs had Fuel Injected motors...

By 2002, over 21 million Type 1s had been produced, but by 2003, annual production had dropped to 30,000 from a peak of 1.3 million in 1971. VW announced the end of production in June 2003, citing decreasing demand, and the final original Type 1 VW Beetle (No. 21,529,464) rolled off the production line at Puebla, Mexico, on 30 July 2003, 65 years after its original launch. This last Beetle, nicknamed El Rey (Spanish for "The King" after a legendary Mexican song by José Alfredo Jiménez) was delivered to the company's museum in Wolfsburg, Germany.
They shut down the Mexican plant almost exactly one year after they'd said that they didn't plan to shut down production of VW Bugs and Minivans for the ' forseeable future'. Apparently they're very short sighted.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by TazManiac » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 pm

I'll bet it had something to do with a new president or other high end management change...

btw- I first joy-rid my first ride in a parking lot & it was an old air-cooled VW bus.

That said, I'm still thinking of getting the successor; a Vanagon and w/ the Diesel bell-housing in there you can strap something pretty big and reliable in there ether like an Audi 2.0 water-cooled motor. And still keep it all 'in the family'.

Typeminer
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Typeminer » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:35 am

TazManiac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 pm
I'll bet it had something to do with a new president or other high end management change...

btw- I first joy-rid my first ride in a parking lot & it was an old air-cooled VW bus.

That said, I'm still thinking of getting the successor; a Vanagon and w/ the Diesel bell-housing in there you can strap something pretty big and reliable in there ether like an Audi 2.0 water-cooled motor. And still keep it all 'in the family'.
Some years ago, I saw a Benz camper van that was obviously VW's inspiration for the Type II. I liked the old VWs for what they were, but the Benz looked way better just sitting there. Never saw another one before or since.

Around 2006, I bought a used Prizm from a small car lot and garage that specialized in VWs (more current ones, not the old air-cooled). Told the guy that I had owned VWs in the past, and had the impression that the newer models were more fun to drive than Japanese cars, but were a whole lot more of a pain in the ass to own. He said they were okay if you understood them, but it was true that they were German, and there were about 200 different things that could throw a Check Engine light. :mrgreen:

But now I'm so frosted off at Volkswagen over the diesel emissions fraud that I'll never buy another one.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Bookworm » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Typeminer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:35 am
TazManiac wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:28 pm
I'll bet it had something to do with a new president or other high end management change...

btw- I first joy-rid my first ride in a parking lot & it was an old air-cooled VW bus.

That said, I'm still thinking of getting the successor; a Vanagon and w/ the Diesel bell-housing in there you can strap something pretty big and reliable in there ether like an Audi 2.0 water-cooled motor. And still keep it all 'in the family'.
Some years ago, I saw a Benz camper van that was obviously VW's inspiration for the Type II. I liked the old VWs for what they were, but the Benz looked way better just sitting there. Never saw another one before or since.

Around 2006, I bought a used Prizm from a small car lot and garage that specialized in VWs (more current ones, not the old air-cooled). Told the guy that I had owned VWs in the past, and had the impression that the newer models were more fun to drive than Japanese cars, but were a whole lot more of a pain in the ass to own. He said they were okay if you understood them, but it was true that they were German, and there were about 200 different things that could throw a Check Engine light. :mrgreen:

But now I'm so frosted off at Volkswagen over the diesel emissions fraud that I'll never buy another one.
Better not buy a smartphone either. A bunch of manufacturers have been caught programming the phones to cook the performance numbers when the various testing suites are run. In other words, don't get mad at VW for doing what people have done before, and will do again. Maybe get mad because it was pollution control, but not for cooking tests.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5513
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:30 pm

A friend who is a top freelance production-services/camera/construction guy has a button that says "Any sufficiently high technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5686
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by jwhouk » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Besides, VW seems to be going the electric route nowadays.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

Typeminer
Posts: 634
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Typeminer » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:43 am

Bookworm wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:31 pm
Typeminer wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:35 am
But now I'm so frosted off at Volkswagen over the diesel emissions fraud that I'll never buy another one.
Better not buy a smartphone either. A bunch of manufacturers have been caught programming the phones to cook the performance numbers when the various testing suites are run. In other words, don't get mad at VW for doing what people have done before, and will do again. Maybe get mad because it was pollution control, but not for cooking tests.
Yeah, it's because it was air pollution. The cars were actually producing something like 500% of their tested emission levels. I used to think low-sulfur diesel was a good way to cut global vehicle pollution through fuel efficiency. Heard that other manufacturers gave up on it because no one could match VW's numbers without expensive exhaust treatment, though I suspect that was just rumor. I expect all advertising to be misleading bullshit, but this was criminal fraud.

BTW, my smartphone is a $20 Android 4.4 that I bought when I drowned the old slider phone just two months before it went obsolete anyhow. It's easier to text on than the slider. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Bookworm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 am

Typeminer wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:43 am

BTW, my smartphone is a $20 Android 4.4 that I bought when I drowned the old slider phone just two months before it went obsolete anyhow. It's easier to text on than the slider. :mrgreen:
I still have a slider, and I've been debating on pulling the trigger on a Cosmo Communicator. Mine is a Samsung Galaxy S Relay, and to get the last update, I had to use CyanoGenMod - and LineageOS hasn't bothered making a newer one.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by TazManiac » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 am
... and to get the last update, I had to use CyanoGenMod - and LineageOS hasn't bothered making a newer one.
Wapsi Square: Come for the Boobs, Stay for the Knowledge.

This post alone has me now with five additional tabs open, awaiting further scrutiny...)

User avatar
lake_wrangler
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by lake_wrangler » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 pm

TazManiac wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:30 pm
This post alone has me now with five additional tabs open, awaiting further scrutiny...)
Only five tabs? I regularly have two separate windows open, with anywhere between five and fifteen tabs open at a time in each... Sometimes more...

I even use an extension which keeps track of open tabs, and can reopen them later whenever I want to return to them. In that extension, I either keep tabs I want to reopen later, or tabs which I did not have time to fully read (or watch the video), and will want to revisit at a later date to complete the reading and/or viewing.

That extension currently keeps track of close to 1500 tabs I have visited and either wish to revisit or have not bothered to remove from the extension, leaning mostly towards the "not revisited yet" category.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Bookworm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 am

lake_wrangler wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 pm
TazManiac wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:30 pm
This post alone has me now with five additional tabs open, awaiting further scrutiny...)
Only five tabs? I regularly have two separate windows open, with anywhere between five and fifteen tabs open at a time in each... Sometimes more...

I even use an extension which keeps track of open tabs, and can reopen them later whenever I want to return to them. In that extension, I either keep tabs I want to reopen later, or tabs which I did not have time to fully read (or watch the video), and will want to revisit at a later date to complete the reading and/or viewing.

That extension currently keeps track of close to 1500 tabs I have visited and either wish to revisit or have not bothered to remove from the extension, leaning mostly towards the "not revisited yet" category.
Five tabs relating to the slider phone. Probably LineageOS, The Cosmo Communicator, the S Relay, and a couple talking about the old Cyanogenmod OS.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by TazManiac » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 am

Yeah, extra tabs just for the LineageOS stuff;

I've known about converting surplus cell phones into wifi TV Remote Controls (well, Media PC Remote Controls,,,), but I'm liking the idea of changing the OS on the cell phone in my pocket...

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:35 pm

TazManiac wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 am
Yeah, extra tabs just for the LineageOS stuff;

I've known about converting surplus cell phones into wifi TV Remote Controls (well, Media PC Remote Controls,,,), but I'm liking the idea of changing the OS on the cell phone in my pocket...
I'm now running LineageOS on the different Android devices... Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets, and a Nexus 5x cellphone. They all work well.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by Bookworm » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Some phones are good at it, others aren't. If you're on Verizon, you're basically screwed. They overload their phones with trash apps, then are often impossible to root.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5513
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: A Steal at $28K

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 pm
Some phones are good at it, others aren't. If you're on Verizon, you're basically screwed. They overload their phones with trash apps, then are often impossible to root.
Or, apparently, if you have an LG phone - they lock the bootloader and refuse to go you how to unlock it. (At least on this Stylo 4.)

They also don't allow the use of the SD card the extend system memory, even on Android versions that normally allow it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

Post Reply