More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

If he works where I think he works, FMLA means nothing nowadays in The State I Formerly Lived In.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Plus, if it’s a big company with a lot of hiring pull and a shitload of money for lawyers, they can call his bluff and fire him just for making a stink and lay odds that he doesn’t have the money to pay a lawyer and court costs, and just hire a replacement Employee # 10384495372617.

I got “terminated” from Walmart while on fmla with pneumonia. I had neither the time, money, energy, or health to fight it. So I just didn’t come back.

Oddly enough, they keep sending me W-2’s.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My one-year anniversary as a Kohler employee is April 2nd, so the time I spent as a temp doesn't count towards that, unfortunately.

I'll just be an asshole and start bringing a bucket and some bags to line the thing whenever I'm sick, so if I throw up, it'll be in that.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Two Hundred and Sixty pages of Mo' Stuff, and counting...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:17 pm If he works where I think he works, FMLA means nothing nowadays in The State I Formerly Lived In.
Even when there are rules about that sort of thing, they tend to have so many loopholes that a determined employer can get around it (similar to overtime regulations). When they can't figure out ways to get around it, they can often go ahead and do whatever anyway and count on lax enforcement or the procedures being so convoluted that the employee simply doesn't feel that it's worthwhile pursuing redress. And even if the employer decides to take the safe route and follow the letter of a strict law, they can still find all sorts of creative ways to make work unbearable for the worker and run them out. The deck is usually stacked heavily in the favour of the employer, especially if it's a big company with lots of money. So you have to hope that you've managed to get hired by honest, decent people.

Of course, I've also been on the other side of the problem, dealing with employees who ridiculously abuse sick leave policy. I've had to encourage a few of those types to quit.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Apparently, the hinges on Kohler's quick release seats are so fragile that Herb Kohler himself had to dictate how we build the individual boxes for retail orders. People were putting the seats in them with so much force (putting the boxes on the floor and dropping the seats into them), the hinge mounts were breaking, and apparently even dropping them in with the box on the table is too much.

I'm not buying a Kohler toilet seat, because I weigh almost 200 pounds, and I'd snap the seat off the mount if I sit down wrong.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:25 am Apparently, the hinges on Kohler's quick release seats are so fragile that Herb Kohler himself had to dictate how we build the individual boxes for retail orders. People were putting the seats in them with so much force (putting the boxes on the floor and dropping the seats into them), the hinge mounts were breaking, and apparently even dropping them in with the box on the table is too much.

I'm not buying a Kohler toilet seat, because I weigh almost 200 pounds, and I'd snap the seat off the mount if I sit down wrong.
Hm. I have quick release seats, and I haven't broken one yet - and my wife is over 300 lbs. dunno if they're Kohler brand.

(I kept reading that as 'Kohl's', and was being confused about toilets)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:29 amHm. I have quick release seats, and I haven't broken one yet - and my wife is over 300 lbs. dunno if they're Kohler brand.

(I kept reading that as 'Kohl's', and was being confused about toilets)
I thought it wasn't polite, to discuss a woman's weight... :?
(Let's just hope she never reads this post, then...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Now that I've installed Ubuntu Studio 18.04, the wallpaper switcher program works properly, again. Here's one of the quotes it displayed today:
“Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I'll draw a sketch of thee.
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B?” - Spike Milligan
And another one:
“Don't look back!"
"Why not?"
"Because I just did! Run faster!” - Terry Pratchett
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I bought a new book last weekend. Something called House of Leaves. Any of y'all ever heard of it?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Somehow, this quote does not surprise me...
“Grove giveth and Gates taketh away.” - Bob Metcalfe (inventor of Ethernet) on the trend of hardware
speedups not being able to keep up with software demands
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another interesting quote:
If you live long enough, the venerability factor creeps in; first, you get accused of things you never did, and later, credited for virtues you never had.
I. F. Stone
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:57 pm Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I bought a new book last weekend. Something called House of Leaves. Any of y'all ever heard of it?
Heard of it, yes. Know much of anything about it beyond that it apparently has an unusual narrative structure, no.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I almost got hit on the highway a little bit ago. Some asshat in a black Dodge (I didn't see if it was a Charger or a Challenger) passed between me and a truck, coming within a foot or so of the front corner of my car.

But as luck would have it, I didn't even need to report him, because just seconds later I heard sirens; he had two state troopers on his tail, and the state police cruisers are Chargers modified for pursuit.

Edit: apparently one of my Facebook friends, who I have known for more than 20 years now, was in the same area at the same time, and he saw around six vehicles chasing the guy, so they probably got him.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I just watched a Gainesville cop {the same police force that recently gave me a ticket for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle while i was frantically attempting to figure out where to go, finally pulling into cross-traffic that had the a green light and might not notice what was going on} sitting at a light on E.E.Butler totally ignore a semi {loaded with chickens for a processing plant*} blow through a red left-turn signal onto Jesse Jewell Parkway** and do nothing...

================

* https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/3124

** One of Gainesville's busiest intersections and, coincidentally, the one where i got my ticket.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I've been thinking about going into a random 24 hour diner/truck stop and saying that Large Marge sent me.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So. I do a lot of driving for a living, as y'all may know.

I see a lot of cars - Teslas, Porsches, F-150's, cars held together with duct tape and bailing wire.

But on my way home from my AM runs, I came across this:

It is a one-of-a-kind kit car that was built by a former GM engineer here in AZ.

It has Corvette parts, a Fiero frame, and a fiberglass bodyshell.

I actually thought someone had put a shell on one of those Spyder trikes when I saw it, but this thing had four solid wheels.

The story is intriguing behind it, but I wonder if the guy asked too much for it, and just decided to keep it?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:03 pm
I actually thought someone had put a shell on one of those Spyder trikes when I saw it, but this thing had four solid wheels.

The story is intriguing behind it, but I wonder if the guy asked too much for it, and just decided to keep it?
Strewth that is the ugliest thing I've seen with a license plate on it...awful design.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I actually thought someone had put a different bodyshell on one of those three-wheel Y-setup trikes. It was... interesting... to watch it driving down the road.