Board Upgrades!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Re: Board Upgrades!

Post by Bookworm »

Pablo is going to work on the logo deal, as well as possibly a theme refresh for the main page, which I'll then carry over to here.

Next is to add https to the forum so that the browsers quit nattering about security. I mean, who in their right, or wrong, mind would try to steal _these_ credentials :)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

All right.

In the upper right hand corner of the forum, below the search bar, next to your username, you should see a 'Gallery' link with an eyeball. This is a test; Feel free to put your fan art into a gallery that you link to in your post(s).

Note; this does not mean that I or Pablo is laying any sort of copyright claim to anything uploaded. It just means I'm trying to help the forum stay usable, even when sharing sites go down, lock down, or otherwise become unusable.

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

OMG THAT HELPS SO MUCH WITH THE PHOTOBUCKET SNAFU

Thanks.

I know many people have been struggling with that lately.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Snazz! I may get back to artsy stuff again!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Oh good! :D
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Right now, the individual pictures are limited to 512k, in gif, jpg, or png format. If that's too limiting, I'll consider upping it a bit.

Frankly, to allocate a lot more resources, I'd need to see at least a small amount of income from it - I don't really do it for the money :)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Maybe there could be a donation system like RolePlay Nation has, or perhaps Paul could set up a Patreon thing for the forum somehow...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Is the forum now on a fixed width, somehow?

Used to be that no matter how wide my browser window, the forum would fill the whole width. Now, when I widen my browser window, the only result is the padding/margins get wider, while the forum and its posts remain the same width.
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 pm Is the forum now on a fixed width, somehow?

Used to be that no matter how wide my browser window, the forum would fill the whole width. Now, when I widen my browser window, the only result is the padding/margins get wider, while the forum and its posts remain the same width.
On my system, using either Chrome or Firefox ESR, the forum content does expand with the window width, up to a certain upper limit. If I widen the window beyond that point, the forum content is centered, with margins on both sides, and the forum content widens no further.

If I set the two browsers to the same font sizes / zoom levels, the widths of the active part of the forum window seem to be consistent.

I though that the upper limit might depend on the size of the window at the time the forum was first opened, but that seems not to be the case.

So, I think the answer is "variable width, but with a fixed maximum width".
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

That's correct, but I reduced the buffer around the edges, and put the max width from 1152 pixels to 1852 pixels.

Let me know if it seems too awkward.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The one thing that I notice now, is that when I view the forum in a wide-window browser, the rightmost strip in the postings (the one with the poster's icon, links, etc.) seems to be a good deal wider than necessary. Even with the longest bit of text (usually in the "user's location" field) there's a lot of blank space to the right of the text and the icon, before one comes to the right margin. This part of the forum body could probably be narrowed by maybe 40% without losing any information, or making text wrap more than very occasionally.

This isn't a problem when I view on a tablet, in portrait orientation - the icons and text fill most of the space in that strip.

I'm guessing that the strip in question is set up to take a fixed percentage of the window width? Is there a way to clip the width a bit, to reserve more space for the posted text in the messages?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh, duh -- I've got my own webserver to post images from.

Bookworm - the Gallery option holds images posted to the forum webserver, yes? If so, beyond the 512K limit, is there a bulk limit, as in how many images can be posted? Is there a gas gauge somewhere to see how much room is left/used?

My Deviant Art scribbles
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm Oh, duh -- I've got my own webserver to post images from.

Bookworm - the Gallery option holds images posted to the forum webserver, yes? If so, beyond the 512K limit, is there a bulk limit, as in how many images can be posted? Is there a gas gauge somewhere to see how much room is left/used?
Right now, it's 2500 images per person, roughly, and a 10 picture at a time limit for uploading.

I'm not trying to be too chintzy, just trying to balance things.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I just did some screen captures of my web browser, to show what I meant about the margins, but I can't seem to be able to upload the images... The board complains about the size of the images, even though my images are 278.6 KB and 288.8 KB...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hmm.. Maybe it's the physical dimensions, rather than file size? I'll check.

I know that I have the file set for 512,000 bytes, which with reasonable compression is still a 1920x1080 jpg.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

On the gallery - I've changed it so that it'll accept up to 1920x1080 in the way of pictures, so give it a shot.

It's still 512k for now. Let me know if there's a technical reason why those numbers don't work out.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:01 pm
Atomic wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:55 pm Oh, duh -- I've got my own webserver to post images from.

Right now, it's 2500 images per person, roughly, and a 10 picture at a time limit for uploading.

I'm not trying to be too chintzy, just trying to balance things.
Good stuff then. When things settle down, info like that needs to be in a FAQ somewhere useful.

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 pm On the gallery - I've changed it so that it'll accept up to 1920x1080 in the way of pictures, so give it a shot.

It's still 512k for now. Let me know if there's a technical reason why those numbers don't work out.
I just went to the gallery, but can't find, for the life of me, any link to upload photos to it... Am I missing something?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Go to the user icon at the top right of the window, and open up the user control panel.

There's a "Gallery" tab there.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My images are 1289 X 1145 pixels, and 1865 X 1152 pixels, so that may have been the problem. Trying scaling down...

967 X 859 pixels, 345.1 KB , and 1399 X 864 pixels, 369.8 KB, still "too big".

Trying jpg format. Original dimensions too big

1289 X 1145 pixels, 369.7 KB, "too big"...

Now trying scaling down and using jpg:

967 X 859 pixels, 233.2 KB , and 1399 X 864 pixels, 149.2 KB, that works.

----------------------------------

So, back to original topic, margins...

Narrow web browser, narrow margins:
Screenshot_2018-09-19_14-24-26_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-19_14-24-26_sm.jpg (227.74 KiB) Viewed 12239 times

Wider web browser, wide margins:
Screenshot_2018-09-19_14-25-46_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-19_14-25-46_sm.jpg (145.7 KiB) Viewed 12239 times

It used to be that the forum posts would take up all the width of the window, and I liked it that way... Of course, perhaps that kind of behavior might be undesirable to others, so what do I know...