A helluva band is a little stronger tonight...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

A helluva band is a little stronger tonight...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Chuck Berry has, as Kinky Friedman would put it, stepped on a rainbow at age 90.

Legendary Rocker Chuck Berry Dies
The Daily Beast wrote:Music legend Chuck Berry, considered one of the greatest rock 'n' roll icons of his generation, passed away on Saturday at Berry Park, his home in St. Charles County, Missouri. He was 90 years old.

Berry, whose distinctive guitar riffing brought him to the top of the charts in the 1950s, was most famous for "story songs" like “Sweet Little Sixteen” and “Beautiful Delilah,” as well as for infusing rock music with high-energy dancing like his signature "duck walk."

Berry also served as an inspiration to fellow rockers like Keith Richards, John Lennon, and Eric Clapton. The rocker was humble about his influence on rock music, telling NBC in the late ’70s that “It’s not for me to say, but I’m surely a cog in the wheel.”
Story at Billboard
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Re: A helluva band is a little stronger tonight...

Post by Alkarii »

And without his contribution to music, we wouldn't have hard rock. Without hard rock, we wouldn't have heavy metal.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Maybellene & Hot Rod Lincoln keep ping-ponging 'round my head...
The singer/songwriter, whose classic “Johnny B. Goode” was chosen by Carl Sagan to be included on the golden record of Earth Sounds and Music launched with Voyager in 1977, ...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

TazManiac wrote:Maybellene & Hot Rod Lincoln keep ping-ponging 'round my head...
The singer/songwriter, whose classic “Johnny B. Goode” was chosen by Carl Sagan to be included on the golden record of Earth Sounds and Music launched with Voyager in 1977, ...
Why "Hot Rod Lincoln"?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

http://www.rockabillyhall.com/hotrodlncln1.html

(where Chuck Berry would later catch Maybellene in her Coupe
de Ville).
- Jim Dawson & Steve Propes: What Was The First Rock'n'Roll Record

Well, despite my inperfect self, I could have sworn I recall the phrase ' Hot. Rod lincoln. " at the end of a Chuck Berry song. Further investigation be damed, it seems I am mis-remembering...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah, Hot Rod Lincoln wasn't one of his.

That heavenly band will probably have Chuck planned to appear at one of their first gigs, but he'll bow out initially because he doesn't like Hendrix' wardrobe or something.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm thinking Chuck Berry and Hendrix are sitting down with Robert Johnson & each of them has some to teach the other two...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:I'm thinking Chuck Berry and Hendrix are sitting down with Robert Johnson & each of them has some to teach the other two...
Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that session. Truly heavenly music indeed.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Just Old Al wrote:
TazManiac wrote:I'm thinking Chuck Berry and Hendrix are sitting down with Robert Johnson & each of them has some to teach the other two...
Oh, to be a fly on the wall at that session. Truly heavenly music indeed.
You and I are not too terribly far from that transition- my guitar work would be substandard for them, but my harmonicas would blend in well. If I get there first, I'll make sure you have a good seat reserved.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
You and I are not too terribly far from that transition- my guitar work would be substandard for them, but my harmonicas would blend in well. If I get there first, I'll make sure you have a good seat reserved.
Damn well better, you grumpy old bugger...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."