More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: More Stuff

Post by DinkyInky »

So I managed an evil thing I may yet survive to regret. I purchased $100 of Jelly Bellys for $10. I spent a small amount of time sorting out the banana, apple, and ice cream flavoured ones(fruity mixed bag was the only actual sorting)...which my son promptly named "Minions mix", and that is reserved for a future movie day.

I also have vanilla cappuchino mix, various drinks, and other oddities. For a family member, I got two pounds of the hard licorice bits.

It's so easy when you're evil!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

New-style piñatas now on sale in Mexico:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I will have to see if anyone in my family can find one for me to beat while it is on fire.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

In case Shadowinthelight hasn't seen this yet...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Jabberwonky wrote:In case Shadowinthelight hasn't seen this yet...
Is that if Monica goes beyond Jaguar Girl to full on cat?

----------

I'm hungry.

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That dog does not look happy.

Also, only two weeks left (after today) of being a part-time cart jockey! I will be a full-time delivery/will call coordinator.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:I will have to see if anyone in my family can find one for me to beat while it is on fire.
I understand there's a big-box store over in Effigy that keeps them in stock... they've been a hot seller lately.
Alkarii wrote:That dog does not look happy.
It is usually unwise to offend a being who (1) lives in your house, and (2) is of just the right size that s/he can poop right into your best shoes if you happen to leave them sitting on the floor.
Also, only two weeks left (after today) of being a part-time cart jockey! I will be a full-time delivery/will call coordinator.
Hey, congratulations! What happened that finally broke the log-jam in the managment chain?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

When I was supposed to go to lumber, the ASDS said to redo the application so it doesn't expire, and doing that caused an error in the system. When I stopped by her office to see if she was able to fix it, she told me about the other position, because someone had a habit of not coming to work enough.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
shadowinthelight

:shock: I don't even

----------

And here is a little something for the Pun Jar to chew on. Sailor Mercury

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Upon seeing the NOW pic, my brain quite literally had a lag spike as I tried to process and comprehend just what madness I was seeing.
Once my RAM caught back up, I immediately thought of a snake eating it's own tail.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Upon seeing the NOW pic, my brain quite literally had a lag spike as I tried to process and comprehend just what madness I was seeing.
Once my RAM caught back up, I immediately thought of a snake eating it's own tail.
It's kind of a distillation process. First they gathered together all of the classics. Then they further boiled it down to the classics amongst those. Then they'll find the classics of the classic classics. Eventually they'll refine it all the way down to the one essential classic of all time, in a CD that can only be handled with tongs and listened to through a vat of oil because the concentrated classicness will explode otherwise.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Upon seeing the NOW pic, my brain quite literally had a lag spike as I tried to process and comprehend just what madness I was seeing.
It's kind of a distillation process. First they gathered together all of the classics. Then they further boiled it down to the classics amongst those. Then they'll find the classics of the classic classics. Eventually they'll refine it all the way down to the one essential classic of all time, in a CD that can only be handled with tongs and listened to through a vat of oil because the concentrated classicness will explode otherwise.
And, once they get there, they can start the Second Generation. They'll have reviewers and bloggers singing the praises of this one CD of classics. They'll collect and aggregate these reviews and blogs, on a series of web pages which collect the best of the quotes and reviews. Finally, they'll have a single aggregation point, on a website equipped with HTML5 feeds of the bloggers themselves (think of the office of The Architect in The Matrix).

Actually viewing this website would, of course, crash your browser.
AnotherFairportfan

More travels in the wonderland of our neighbouring state - visiting Kate's mother for her birthday in Hartford LA ("Lower Alabama"), and another monument.

Salt Lake City has a seagull monument to commemorate a significant agricultural event.

Enterprise AL also has a monument.

Erected 11 December 1919.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm... Very confused.
Why would they erect a monument for a bug that devastated cotton?

Is it something to do with that term you used... "Seagull monument?" Were they hoping birds would poop all over it?
...doesn't seem to be working...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm... Very confused.

Is it something to do with that term you used... "Seagull monument?" Were they hoping birds would poop all over it?
...doesn't seem to be working...
The Seagull Monument in Utah is in commemoration of the time when Jerusalem crickets had over-run the wheat fields and threatened the existance of of the Mormon community- a storm at sea drove seagulls far enough east that they converged on the hoard and devoured them.

Boll weavils are another matter- I have NO CLUE why anybody would celebrate the damn things...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm... Very confused.
It's a bit sardonic... but not entirely.

At the time the boll weevil invaded, farmers in the area were raising cotton as a monoculture... which is risky both biologically (as the boll weevil demonstrated) and economically (the whole local economy is vulnerable to price swings, competition, etc.). (EDIT: as AFF points out further down, many monoculture crops such as tobacco and cotton deplete the soil pretty badly. Many areas in the southeast were farmed for tobacco until the soil was exhausted, and then abandoned.).

The boll-weevil invasion forced the farmers to diversify (many switched over to peanuts) and to explore innovations such as crop rotation and fallow years. It had the effect, in the end, of creating an agricultural economy that was more stable, and less vulnerable to "single event" disruptions.

Hence, the statue. "Thanks for the kick in the ass, guy. It hurt like hell, but it made us stronger."

Hmmm. I wonder if Bia ever incarnated as a swarm of insects?
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnotherFairportfan

I did provide links for both monuments.

There is another monument to an agricultural pest, apparently, in Australia.
AnotherFairportfan

Also, cotton depletes the soil significantly..
AnotherFairportfan

Maggie and Natalie went to a month-long summer school session at a local school - sort of a day camp/day care with educational activities and fun.

The last day (25 June) Maggie's class had awards and a class presentation. I took pics, and i made a page for other parents/teachers/etc to see.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Image
Next stop: Cranberry World? ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)