More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Mark N

Re: More Stuff

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I just tossed this one out on another board - which weighs more - a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
That one has messed up many a smart person. It is such a simple thing that you blurt out the first thought, and it tends to be wrong. Now if you asked which has more mass....
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Same amount of mass, differing amounts of Volume.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I just tossed this one out on another board - which weighs more - a pound of gold or a pound of feathers?
Depending on which definition of "pound" you find applicable... the conventional answer is that a pound of feathers weights more.

The reason may be found at the city gates of Troy.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Depending on which definition of "pound" you find applicable... the conventional answer is that a pound of feathers weights more.

The reason may be found at the city gates of Troy.
Yup.

Well, Troyes, i think.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

The pound of feathers weighs more, assuming one is using the normal "pound" for each of the two materials.

(In the absence of any statement or assumption about what "pound" is used in each case, the question cannot be answered.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:(In the absence of any statement or assumption about what "pound" is used in each case, the question cannot be answered.)
Correct. A pound of gold might consist of a metallic building large enough to contain several dozen stray dogs (e.g. golden retrievers) and would certainly weigh more than 16 ounces.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
The pound of feathers weighs more, assuming one is using the normal "pound" for each of the two materials.
Not "normal" - standard, just as gem weight expressed in carats.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Today's Google Doodle, commemorating the 80th anniversary of the most famous photo of Nessie:

Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Today's Google Doodle, commemorating the 80th anniversary of the most famous photo of Nessie:

:lol: :lol:
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Did you know -- There are only 17 different Wallpaper Patterns?
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Atomic wrote:Did you know -- There are only 17 different Wallpaper Patterns?
Huh. You'd think someone would come up with more ways to tessellate.

(I feel... A disturbance. For some reason, "tessellate" seems very pun-able.)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

A couple of posts i did on the Misfile Forum:

Okay, so i've been really ambivalent about the upcoming "Superman vs Batman" film.

And i'm becoming more so as the trailer shows what appears to be Batman's Batwing fitted with BFGs shooting hell outta things.

I mean, last film Superman killed people.

This film, Batman is shooting stuff (and likely people).

What's next - Wonder Woman supports herself by working as a sidewalk hostess?

==================

So there's that.

And the more i hear about the upcoming "Suicide Squad" film, the more i'm beginning to think i know why DC hasn't managed to create anything like the Marvel film universe.

Here's a pic of Jared Leto in makeup (you can't call it a "costume") as some sort of pathetic attempt to portray the Joker:

===========

and more recently, i said:

===========

Meanwhile, i've been looking again at the BvS trailer, and checking other comments, and i find two things.

If this is the Batwing, Batman is definitely a killer:

And i had assumed that that was the finial of the skyscraper he's apparently standing atop sticking up in front of him, but ... uh ... nope:

(If that thing's as powerful as it ought be, i don't think i'd like to be standing on a platform that small, that high up, when i fired it.)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I don't really see Ben Affleck being a good choice for Batman. Is Matt Damon gonna be Robin? Is Seth Green gonna be Two-Face?

Second, what plausible scenario could there be that would have the two fighting? Although, I would like to see Superman get taken down a few dozen Notches. He's one of the most over powered characters. (though, Batman could just throw a gun at him)
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:Second, what plausible scenario could there be that would have the two fighting? Although, I would like to see Superman get taken down a few dozen Notches. He's one of the most over powered characters. (though, Batman could just throw a gun at him)
It seems to be a (loose, probably) adaptation of a comic series from several years ago.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Originally posted November 2013:

Alkarii wrote:Second, what plausible scenario could there be that would have the two fighting? Although, I would like to see Superman get taken down a few dozen Notches. He's one of the most over powered characters. (though, Batman could just throw a gun at him)
The movie is not based on but is in part inspired by The Dark Night Returns which features the two of them squaring off with Batman wearing an exosuit.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

shadowinthelight wrote:Originally posted November 2013:

The movie is not based on but is in part inspired by The Dark Night Returns which features the two of them squaring off with Batman wearing an exosuit.
Actually, it's more based on later comics that took a cue from that.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I kinda stopped being so encyclopedic about the Marvel Universe, and Comix in general, about twenty years ago, but...

the Dark Knight Returns is Frank Miller at some of his best iconic work.

note the Female Sidekick, Robin.

In a nutshell, part of the story line in the future history has most Super Heroes run to ground and either retired, dead, or subsumed into secret, covert, 'I-Am-Superman-and-a-Secret-but-I-can-END-you... tool of a Regan-esqu Cold Ware era backdrop.

Here are some images;

And the humdinger:

Keep in mind that part of the backbone of The Dark Knight Returns is that everybody is a decade or more past their prime by the time events on page unfold.

Last thing for now; [ Alert - potential SPOILERS ahead! ] there comes a time when the Big Blue Boyscout has to lay it all on the line and it costs him- when he's depleted he calls out to Mother Earth for replenishment, (because as we all know Supes is ultimately {Yellow Sun} Solar Powered), but at the time the sky overhead is giving him the big finger with a localized Nuclear Winter type overcast; No Sun to be had.

"Even in the Desert there is Life..." I paraphrase, but he basically soaks up all the life energy in the rain forest around him and just like Tanna Leaves for the Mummy, he's back on the job, all replenished and everything.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Working in the parking lot at a well-known home improvement store (hint: orange), I tend to find the weirdest things that people leave. I don't mean just forgotten in a cart, either, though that happens a lot. Weird things, like, oh, say, a wedding dress.

Yesterday, I found a little bag of weed. I didn't keep it, though. I disposed of it, because it could have been laced with PCP or whatever.

Someone is probably pissed, though.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:Working in the parking lot at a well-known home improvement store (hint: orange), I tend to find the weirdest things that people leave. I don't mean just forgotten in a cart, either, though that happens a lot. Weird things, like, oh, say, a wedding dress.

Yesterday, I found a little bag of weed. I didn't keep it, though. I disposed of it, because it could have been laced with PCP or whatever.

Someone is probably pissed, though.
I found a little bag of weed yesterday at my job too. Just sitting on the floor. Somewhere out there are two people going "where the heck is my weed?"
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

That's why I leave mine at home.