More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

FreeFlier

Re: More Stuff

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 amI just learned that freezing fog is a thing, and we have it in Arkansas at the moment. What really sucks is that I have to be at work really early today. . . .
Is this the kind that leaves a coating of ice on everything, or the kind that leaves a coating of hoarfrost on everything, so barbed wire fences look like the wires are an inch or two in diameter?

Hopefully it's the hoarfrost kind because that is prettier and easier to drive in, though it's still slippery.

--FreeFlier
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Freezing fog is the thick hoarfrost type. Freezing rain/drizzle leaves a coating of clear (usually) ice on everything, often knocking down trees and power lines from the weight as it builds up.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Atomic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 amFreezing fog is the thick hoarfrost type. Freezing rain/drizzle leaves a coating of clear (usually) ice on everything, often knocking down trees and power lines from the weight as it builds up.
I have seen freezing fog have either result . . . I think it's the temperature. I think that temperatures just under freezing will result in the coat of ice, and colder temperatures will give the hoarfrost.

--FreeFlier
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

There was a freak incident here some years ago when the ground was very cold, and then there was a light mist or fog just about dawn. Flash-froze a layer of ice just millimeters thick onto the roads, and there were minor accidents all over the place for about an hour.

This was not a normal ice storm, and no one had predicted it.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I finally painted one of my D&D minis. It turns out that maybe I should have bought an airbrush if I was going to start with a dragon... and not one of the wyrmlings (dragons under 5 years of age).

It took me an hour to apply a single coat of base paint to it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 pm Well, I finally painted one of my D&D minis. It turns out that maybe I should have bought an airbrush if I was going to start with a dragon... and not one of the wyrmlings (dragons under 5 years of age).

It took me an hour to apply a single coat of base paint to it.
So, not just dipping it into the paint can then? It is a base coat, after all...

My Deviant Art scribbles
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The opening of the paint pots Citadel Colour makes is probably big enough for me to get the tip of my pinkie in it. The largest pots they make that I've seen are smaller than a shot glass, though they do have some colors available as sprays.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Next thing we know, you'll be up on the planet Mars...

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I managed to get an airbrush and a compressor for it. Both are Iwata brand. I literally have no idea how good those two things are, though.

I've also almost finished the copper dragon figure I'd been painting. I just need to touch up a few spots on it, paint the inside of the mouth and the eyes, and I can call it done. It looks like it's made of copper that hasn't even started to oxidize yet, when it's under normal indoor lighting. The light from my headlamp had me worried that I had seriously screwed up, because it made it look like it been dipped in gold.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:10 am I managed to get an airbrush and a compressor for it. Both are Iwata brand. I literally have no idea how good those two things are, though.
Iwata is one of the big names in the airbrush business and send to have a good rep for quality.

I'd suggest taking out a whole bunch of whatever small junk you can find conveniently... bolts and nuts, sticks with the bark peeled off, damaged models, etc. and spend a few sessions practicing. It will take a while for you to internalize the effect of the airflow and paintflow controls so that you get the sort of spray you want without having to think about it.

"Learn by destroying".
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

It took me too long to realize I could just grab some gravel from the driveway...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 pm It took me too long to realize I could just grab some gravel from the driveway...
And what a lovely driveway you'll have when you're done!

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:27 pm It took me too long to realize I could just grab some gravel from the driveway...
You got gravel to sign up as part of your educational experience?

Rock enroll!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Humans (not every individual human, obviously; but enough overall) deeply, deeply love to stack them some rocks.

One thing leads to another, and here we are. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FYI that was from a Bing image search for Mosaic Driveway.

Ain't it a beaut?

My Deviant Art scribbles
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

This truck was sitting in front of my bus at a red light, one day...

20201209_175912_DSCF0304_No_Plate_1158×869.jpg
20201209_175912_DSCF0304_No_Plate_1158×869.jpg (113.53 KiB) Viewed 10248 times
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I tried out my airbrush on some rocks, a couple roofing nails, and a clothes pin earlier, then I tried putting a coat on the bronze dragon mini. I didn't get a perfect coating, but it's kind of okay, because even if I use up all of that color trying to paint that one figure, I have a pot of that exact same color as a brush on base paint that I can use to go over it again.

On an unrelated note, both of my parents have tested positive for Covid, and I have an appointment to grt checked tomorrow, despite not having any symptoms just yet. Because I'm a delivery driver, I really should get checked for it, since I have to go all over the place.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pm This truck was sitting in front of my bus at a red light, one day...

I once saw one of those where the lettering was right-side up . . . and the CJ it was on was not.

We soon fixed that, and the driver went back to rock-crawling.

I think I was in college at the time.

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:15 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pm This truck was sitting in front of my bus at a red light, one day...

I once saw one of those where the lettering was right-side up . . . and the CJ it was on was not.

--FreeFlier
Neat! I didn't think it would actually work... I was thinking about fluids mixing or spilling out and such... but I guess if each type of fluid is properly contained within the various systems they belong to, it may still work.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:23 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:15 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:04 pmThis truck was sitting in front of my bus at a red light, one day...

Neat! I didn't think it would actually work... I was thinking about fluids mixing or spilling out and such... but I guess if each type of fluid is properly contained within the various systems they belong to, it may still work.
It depends on how long it's upside down - We came along before the dust had settled.

And the leaks will be through the vents, which will slow the leakage down a lot, even in a standard installation, and much of the gear lube vents would be altered to prevent water infiltration, which would slow leakage even more.

Oil is the most likely major leak, and when you're running around in the wild, you always carry extra oil, plus a spare filter, since you can sometime bash a hole in the oil filter or oil pan, which you usually discover when you run out of oil . . . but if you have oil, you can usually plug things up well enough to at least reduce the distance you have to walk.

It did leak a bit of gasoline, oil and maybe gear lube . . . once it was upright, he checked the levels, topped off the oil, chatted a bit while the spilled gasoline evaporated in the breeze, then started it up and went back to rock-crawling.

Not sure if battery acid leaked or not, and if there was any coolant leakage, it was out of the "puke tank", since the cooling system is semi-sealed to retain pressure.

Nowadays guys like that use Optima batteries, which are totally sealed. Optima uses Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) so the electrolyte stays inside unless the case is cracked, and maybe even then. Very nice, very "hot", very tough batteries.

--FreeFlier