More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am

I just learned that freezing fog is a thing, and we have it in Arkansas at the moment. What really sucks is that I have to be at work really early today.

Oh, and our driver who goes to Pine Bluff was sent home yesterday because he tested positive for the coof, so I'm probably going to have to run his route, meaning I have a new area to learn now.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:21 pm

(plonk, plonk...), 2 Avacado pits into the Pun Jar...

Alkarii, hang in there!

FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Alkarii wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:57 am
I just learned that freezing fog is a thing, and we have it in Arkansas at the moment. What really sucks is that I have to be at work really early today. . . .
Is this the kind that leaves a coating of ice on everything, or the kind that leaves a coating of hoarfrost on everything, so barbed wire fences look like the wires are an inch or two in diameter?

Hopefully it's the hoarfrost kind because that is prettier and easier to drive in, though it's still slippery.

--FreeFlier

Atomic

Post by Atomic » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 am

Freezing fog is the thick hoarfrost type. Freezing rain/drizzle leaves a coating of clear (usually) ice on everything, often knocking down trees and power lines from the weight as it builds up.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:20 am

Atomic wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 am
Freezing fog is the thick hoarfrost type. Freezing rain/drizzle leaves a coating of clear (usually) ice on everything, often knocking down trees and power lines from the weight as it builds up.
I have seen freezing fog have either result . . . I think it's the temperature. I think that temperatures just under freezing will result in the coat of ice, and colder temperatures will give the hoarfrost.

--FreeFlier

Typeminer

Post by Typeminer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 am

There was a freak incident here some years ago when the ground was very cold, and then there was a light mist or fog just about dawn. Flash-froze a layer of ice just millimeters thick onto the roads, and there were minor accidents all over the place for about an hour.

This was not a normal ice storm, and no one had predicted it.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:05 pm

Well, I finally painted one of my D&D minis. It turns out that maybe I should have bought an airbrush if I was going to start with a dragon... and not one of the wyrmlings (dragons under 5 years of age).

It took me an hour to apply a single coat of base paint to it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.