Perhaps an inappropriate portrayal of a teen?

Keep your eye on this spot for the latest info for original Wapsi Square art and other merchandise.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Perhaps an inappropriate portrayal of a teen?

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The latest two eBay pinups, both of Shawna, are pretty sexualised for a character who is, presumably, not eighteen yet...
shawnas.jpg
shawnas.jpg (43.77 KiB) Viewed 14443 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Re: Perhaps an inappropriate portrayal of a teen?

Post by GlytchMeister »

I think we all had this discussion before. And I think this is a concept Paul has frequently tried to teach time and time again. Teen girls, and women, are allowed to behave in this way, it is up to observers to sexualize them or not. Whether or not said sexualization is or isn’t the female in question’s goal.

She’s trying to catch Hiroshi’s eye, and, in my opinion, making a fool of herself, which is, also in my opinion, not at all sexy.

EDIT: Take careful note, Iliad, that I have not made any form of appreciative remark as to the appearance, sensuality, or sexuality of this character.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I'm not particularly objecting - perhaps i should have framed my comment in terms of what outsiders who encountered the images might make of them - you know, the ones who go all upset about bronies, or about the Black Canary Barbie.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I went and cruised through the recent eBay offerings and I can see your point, but I'd want to make a couple of points too:

- Those pictures look like Shawna all grow'd up & (dovetailing that...)

- Paul hardly ever labels/names his illustrations with anything more than a perfunctory title. (How many pictures are called 'Atsali'?)
What I mean is, it would make sense to label them 'Shawna @ 18 - II' or something.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I asked Paul and these are in time with the story. Maybe she wraps?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:I asked Paul and these are in time with the story. Maybe she wraps?
I don't think so. (That's the very next page...)

Admittedly, there is still a big difference between that and the eBay pic.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Just to make sure I'm not crazy and I have chronology right, Castela is 11 here and presumably her friends aren't too far off, yes? (also discussed here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3303 ). This is their first year of middle school (but we don't know what year Shawna is in).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm calling Timey-Whimy and moving on...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bolverk wrote:Just to make sure I'm not crazy and I have chronology right, Castela is 11 here and presumably her friends aren't too far off, yes? (also discussed here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3303 ). This is their first year of middle school (but we don't know what year Shawna is in).
I don't know if there was another time skip or not, though I don't think so, since the yoga idea came right after the hulking out incident, but when Brandi and Shelly were trying to convince Jacqui, they clearly said that Castela was 13.

Thinking back on when I was that age, there was only one girl in my class who was that "developed", and she would never have dared pose in the way we see at the top of this thread...
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Thanks for pointing that out, thirteen makes a lot more sense for how everyone looks and acts.

Where did we get the number eleven from? It is a mystery.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bolverk wrote:Where did we get the number eleven from? It is a mystery.
I believed it involved complex calculations, some degree of assumptions (namely about the grade they were entering), much puzzlement at the apparent discrepancy between the believed age of Castela and the believed age of Atsali (did one age faster than the other?), and much arcane stuff to which I am most assuredly not privy. I would look for posts as proof of calculations, but I fear my computer would melt in retaliation...

In fact, I may have already said too much...

*Wearily looks behind him, full of suspicion...*
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Shawna's in a later grade, just like Hiroshi would be if he didn't disappear from being turned into a butterfly. So if Castela & Co are 13, Hiroshi and Shawna are probably 16.