Scary Ruri

Keep your eye on this spot for the latest info for original Wapsi Square art and other merchandise.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Scary Ruri

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Scary Ruri

Post by AmriloJim »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:That blade makes me nervous...
The Nakiri is a double bevel edged knife that is rectangular in profile and has a tall, thin blade. It is popular throughout Japan and is often used by home cooks for quickly and efficiently chopping, slicing or mincing vegetables and fruit. It is becoming increasingly popular with vegetarians. Compared to a Western-style handle, the lightweight traditional Japanese handle of the “Wa” style Nakiri knife moves the balance point of the knife further towards the tip, which makes it feel more nimble and precise.
So, if you're not an eggplant, I wouldn't worry.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AmriloJim wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:That blade makes me nervous...
The Nakiri is a double bevel edged knife that is rectangular in profile and has a tall, thin blade. It is popular throughout Japan and is often used by home cooks for quickly and efficiently chopping, slicing or mincing vegetables and fruit. It is becoming increasingly popular with vegetarians. Compared to a Western-style handle, the lightweight traditional Japanese handle of the “Wa” style Nakiri knife moves the balance point of the knife further towards the tip, which makes it feel more nimble and precise.
So, if you're not an eggplant, I wouldn't worry.
I think i need one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

That style knife should be one of the three or more prerequisites in any operating (awc2222223 <-- cat-on-keyboard...) actual cooking in the kitchen Kitchens.

I'd go with a small paring or boning knife, one of those Japanese 'vegetable' knife (use it for most everything...) and 'your favorite 'whatever' that you cant live without.

A fish file' or a cleaver or maybe a serrated bread knife round things out but you can usually get by with just the one tool. (btw- in my usage it replaces almost three or four other implements, esp a big ol CHef's Knife...).

PS- Right before sitting back down at the keyboard I just used one of those to slice some Red Potatoes...