Shelly's Big Guns

Keep your eye on this spot for the latest info for original Wapsi Square art and other merchandise.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Shelly's Big Guns

Post by Jabberwonky »

Shelly flexin' the big guns. A little more time than the other one...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TazManiac

Re: Shelly's Big Guns

Post by TazManiac »

You see, It's All About that BASS, that Bass, No Treble...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wapsi-Square-or ... y-and-Bass
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

TazManiac wrote:You see, It's All About that BASS, that Bass, No Treble...

Seeing her dressed like that my voice would fly up into a falsetto...

And just because...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jabberwonky wrote:And just because...

YOU are an Evil individual.... now i gotta convince my room mate that she has to plan to go see them when they come around Seattle in November ...
i'm pretty sure it's enough time for me to get her to clear her calendar for that day...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Holy cow that blonde has got some pipes!

And I have never seen two people playing the same instrument before. Like, the actual same instrument at the same time.

Imma go watch some more of their videos...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

scantrontb wrote:YOU are an Evil individual.... now i gotta convince my room mate that she has to plan to go see them when they come around Seattle in November ...
i'm pretty sure it's enough time for me to get her to clear her calendar for that day...
They played Houston fairly recently, and me being the pop culture vacant that I am didn't know in time to get tickets or schedule a night off... :(
GlytchMeister wrote: Holy cow that blonde has got some pipes!

And I have never seen two people playing the same instrument before. Like, the actual same instrument at the same time.

I love this bunch...and just because I got turned on to Puddles because of them, watch this.

Somebody hold my beer...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

At least she's not Moaning the Blues!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:You see, It's All About that BASS, that Bass, No Treble...

Seeing her dressed like that my voice would fly up into a falsetto...

And just because...
Does anyone else find it the least bit incongruous to see these particular ladies, with as lovely voices as they have, sing those particular lyrics? :?
(They don't strike me as the type of people who would have had body issues and needing their mother to reassure them that men do like plump women, too...)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

You'd be surprised. Most body image issues, from what I've seen, stem from psychological things like how they are treated by people (bullying, bad relationships, etc) or how the mass media used to demonize anyone who wasn't stick thin and people who were really skinny constantly got complimented.

It barely has anything to do with how they actually look. It has everything to do with how they see themselves.

In short: skinny people can think they're morbidly obese. And that causes... Problems.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:And I have never seen two people playing the same instrument before. Like, the actual same instrument at the same times.
I remember some guys on the Ed Sullivan Show who, among other things, had a bit where one would begin playing a song on a guitar. The other would step up behind him, reach around, and, without a break, would take over fingering while the first guy kept picking, then the second guy would take over picking, the fitst wouldduck under his arm, get behind him, reach around to the neck ... They'd do two or three changes in the course of one song without missing a note.

Or consider the Muppets. Back on "The Muppet Show", when they did a Swedish Chef bit, as often as not, the Chef would be sitting twiddling his thumbs at the start of the bit. Nothing amazing about that.

Except that was Jim Henson's left hand and Frank Oz's right hand.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:You'd be surprised. Most body image issues, from what I've seen, stem from psychological things like how they are treated by people (bullying, bad relationships, etc) or how the mass media used to demonize anyone who wasn't stick thin and people who were really skinny constantly got complimented.

It barely has anything to do with how they actually look. It has everything to do with how they see themselves.

In short: skinny people can think they're morbidly obese. And that causes... Problems.
Oh, I understand the disparity between how a woman view herself and how she actually looks, and that thin people can think they are not so thin... But the song is definitely about ladies with an appreciable derriere (and possibly on top, as well, I'm not sure.) Viz. the reference to the bass (look how it's shaped) and to mothers encouraging girls with "booty" (I've always thought that term was so condescending and/or demeaning) that men do like that. And while I can see some mothers "playing along" with an insecure thin girl's perception of thinking they're fat, I can't see that they would go that far. Take in also the part that they know (in the lyrics) that they are not "stick figure, silicone Barbie Girls", and encourage men looking for that type to look elsewhere. Those girls do not look the part.

Please understand, I am not putting down those ladies. They do the song justice, they sing it quite well and have quite lovely voices. It just looks weird, to me, to see fairly skinny (yet shapely) girls singing lyrics that talk about girls that are obviously meant to be of a larger frame. I just thought it looked odd. Nothing more, nothing less. (And definitely nothing to keep the conversation going on about, either... ;) )
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote: Holy cow that blonde has got some pipes!

I love this bunch...and just because I got turned on to Puddles because of them, watch this.
I thought it sounded familiar... ;)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, Wrangler, I was trying to reffer to "All about that Bass..." by Meghan Trainor, a non-skinny lady, who reports she had issues while growing up with being on the bigger side of the Bell Curve. (I paraphrase for dramatic effect, but really I cant recall her quote exactly...)

Here's a YouTube link:

Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_That_Bass

That's her in the middle...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Well, Wrangler, I was trying to reffer to "All about that Bass..." by Meghan Trainor, a non-skinny lady, who reports she had issues while growing up with being on the bigger side of the Bell Curve. (I paraphrase for dramatic effect, but really I cant recall her quote exactly...)

Here's a YouTube link:

Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_About_That_Bass

That's her in the middle...
Ah. So we WERE talking about two different things. I knew nothing about the original song by the original artist. I was commenting about how odd it looked to have those definitely not non-skinny ladies singing those lyrics in the link earlier provided (the one with the double bass that is eventually played four-hands).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I gotcha, my trouble is I'm sometimes (like now) posting from a borrowed hotspot internet connection and due to data quota, I cant budget clicking on video links most of the time... (Despite the fact that I actually post video links myself...) muhahahhah... <cough>.

It's funny; Shelly has made a recent cameo-comeback so to speak, and I've always delighted in her 'I'm rough and tough and physically formidable' vs the need to feel and be recognized by others as being, at least partly, a girly-girl person.

The classic Tomboy cross to bear.