I've been bra shopping...

A little corner to talk bra sizing, good places to shop, helpful blog links, all things body positive.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Julie

Re: I've been bra shopping...

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Julie wrote:I also seriously doubt how those things could possibly be helpful in minimizing movement or providing lift to a heavier set of bosoms. :?
You could probably get great support from duct tape. Taking it off, however...
You just made my boobies cringe. :(
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

"Cringing Boobies" my next Rock Band band...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Julie wrote:You just made my boobies cringe. :(
Maybe you should get someone to kiss them to make them feel better? ;P
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

True Story: back in the 1950s, before I was born, there was a thing called Stick On Bras. Basically it was a bra cup coated with adhesive so you could wear strapless dresses in "style" or such. And my mom tried some for an event with my dad. They worked great! And when the time came to remove them, well, not so great. Not at all.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'd use adhesive on the band, so it doesn't keep drooping and sliding, and use a metal or, for Dinky, whalebone superstructure to support the actual breast cups.

Or just wear something with straps.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

scantrontb wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
I also need to practice my trapunto, as im replacing the metal with rolled poly corset boning, and it's hard to fit...and I'm refusing to waste another $150 bra because the metal corroded in three months(with rotations).
Why the heck wouldn't they use non-reactive metal in the first place, or something other than metal?

Duh... so they get you to fork over ANOTHER $150 bucks? they are a company trying to make a profit after all... they must have figured out just the right mix of the durability-to-flimsness ratio to keep the customers coming back despite the bra's falling apart so soon.

PS, "IS" that too soon for a bra? i would assume it IS: as i don't wear them, so i don't know how long they're SUPPOSED to last.

PPS then again, it may not be their fault... i knew a few people when i was in the Navy, that went thru wrist watches like crazy because their skin literally corroded the back faces of them; various brands, qualities, materials... nothing worked one gave up trying and just bought an old-fashioned pocket-watch on a lanyard/chain thingy. the others just switched out to super-dooper el-cheapo's that they could replace all the time and not worry TOO much about the expense...
Base metal allergies. My skin corrodes surgical stainless as soon as the coating gets a crack in it. Wired(ed.--some days I need a pot of coffee before typing) bras last me six months to a year with rotations.
Watches....yeah, unless it's Titanium or platinum, it's doomed...provided you find one that doesn't die in a few days...I wear it, battery dies, I try to replace battery, and it's still dead.

Someone said I slagged it because my chemistry magnetized the clockwork.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:Base metal allergies. My skin corrodes surgical stainless as soon as the coating gets a crack in it. Wireless bras last me six months to a year with rotations.
Watches....yeah, unless it's Titanium or platinum, it's doomed...provided you find one that doesn't die in a few days...I wear it, battery dies, I try to replace battery, and it's still dead.

Someone said I slagged it because my chemistry magnetized the clockwork.
Ewwie! That sucks! :( All of a sudden, the perils of clothing and bra shopping seem miniscule.
"Just open your eyes
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

As I've often suspected, there are many with super powers among the folks posting in this forum...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm still trying to figure out how your body chemistry magnetized something... :?
I'm too much!
Julie

Post by Julie »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how your body chemistry magnetized something... :?
I've been accused of being a specialized walking EMP...I'm one of the only people I know who has ever crashed 3 different Apple computers. I'd think that her ability to screw up stuff with her body chemistry seems way more likely than me being an Apple-only EMP. :P
"Just open your eyes
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Julie wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how your body chemistry magnetized something... :?
I've been accused of being a specialized walking EMP...I'm one of the only people I know who has ever crashed 3 different Apple computers. I'd think that her ability to screw up stuff with her body chemistry seems way more likely than me being an Apple-only EMP. :P
My dad has the infuriating gift of making things work hut my looking at them. The moment he comes near, machines and computers immediately stop doing "that thing they were doing."
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:I've been accused of being a specialized walking EMP...I'm one of the only people I know who has ever[*] crashed 3 different Apple computers. I'd think that her ability to screw up stuff with her body chemistry seems way more likely than me being an Apple-only EMP. :P
Another example: Reed Hastings, of Netflix fame. I worked with him for a few years at a small Silicon Valley startup. We noticed that he seemed to have an amazing ability to cause Sun workstations to crash, just by sitting down and logging in. Hell of a thing for a good engineer to have to deal with. Obviously he didn't let it stop him (not even slow him down, really).
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Julie wrote:I've been accused of being a specialized walking EMP...I'm one of the only people I know who has ever[*] crashed 3 different Apple computers. I'd think that her ability to screw up stuff with her body chemistry seems way more likely than me being an Apple-only EMP. :P
Another example: Reed Hastings, of Netflix fame. I worked with him for a few years at a small Silicon Valley startup. We noticed that he seemed to have an amazing ability to cause Sun workstations to crash, just by sitting down and logging in. Hell of a thing for a good engineer to have to deal with. Obviously he didn't let it stop him (not even slow him down, really).
Huh...nice to know it's not just me. :P I'm not allowed to touch any Apple products other than my iPod...which I did fritz out and have to replace, but generally I seem safeish with.
"Just open your eyes
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

A story from the 1960s mainframe computer days -- they filled several racks and cabinets in a large room, with climate controlled spaces and limited access. Keypunch operations, to make the program cards to be read by the computer were in a less restricted part of the building. The operators would take their stack of cards into the Computer Room (all hail Babbage! Praise Jacquard!) to the input operator and the card reader. The stack of cards would be read onto a tape (sometimes directly into the computer itself), and then the tape would be transferred to another tape machine for eventual use. As you see, lots and lots of traveling to eventually Get There.

It seems one particular woman simply made the computer go nuts. Whether she was delivering cards or actually at one of the consoles doing something, it just didn't like her. It turned out the climate settings had the humidity low enough that her particular brand of Nylon stockings were enough to toss static charges at the machinery!

Or so the legend goes.

And yes, I've corroded my share of moderately expensive watches simply by wearing them.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Huh...nice to know it's not just me. :P I'm not allowed to touch any Apple products other than my iPod...which I did fritz out and have to replace, but generally I seem safeish with.
Interesting coincidence: I just finished reading a 2008 novel "The Archangel Project", the plot of which revolves around the programs carried out by the US government in past decades on "remote viewing" (controlled clairvoyance). No joke... there would have been big military advantage of they had ever figure out a way to make the process reliable.

The protagonist is a young woman who developed the ability spontaneously.

One side effect in her life... which she apparently shared with many other research subjects who were fairly successful remote viewers... was that electronic devices seemed to malfunction in her presence... they would freeze up or crash.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:
Mr Hass, he of Oakland A's and Levi Strauss & Co fame had an Admin Assistant that kept reporting a random character or two would keep showing up on the top of all the initial pages her Laserjet would print out.

Turns out her under-chair 'big-flat-plastic-carpet-protection-square' thingie was producing a static charge from the wheels rolling on it, and the metal from of the keyboard tray was transmitting the electrons eventually to ground, but along the way the Ljet would get a low level zap as well; it would produce random, esoteric characters in the printer's buffer (you could see them load up when the "don't you want to eject this partial page?' light would come on...).

This is only partially germain in that it's related to the previous post by the initial (erroneously, in this case) assumption that the ladies hosiery were the cause of the static build up.

While waiting for a special non-static floor pad to arrive, we solved the discharge by spec'ing the addition of a grounding strap to the metal frame of the monitor stand/ keyboard tray.

It's been more than twenty five years since these events transpired, I'm hoping I'm past the statuette of limitations... (sic)
Last edited by TazManiac on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
lake_wrangler

Search…

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:It's been more than twenty five years since these events transpired, I'm hoping I'm past the statuette of limitations... (sic)
No matter how small the statuette is, don't take your eyes off it, AND DON'T BLINK!
;) :P :D
Dave

Re: Search…

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote:It's been more than twenty five years since these events transpired, I'm hoping I'm past the statuette of limitations... (sic)
No matter how small the statuette is, don't take your eyes off it, AND DON'T BLINK!
Shudder. :shock: Weeping Angels. You had to invoke Weeping Angels. Now I won't sleep at all tonight.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Shudder. :shock: Weeping Angels. You had to invoke Weeping Angels. Now I won't sleep at all tonight.
I'd have the same problem...except now I'm imagining a Weeping Angel with a bra on it's face à la my avatar. :) That's a LOT less scary.
"Just open your eyes
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:I'd have the same problem...except now I'm imagining a Weeping Angel with a bra on it's face à la my avatar. :) That's a LOT less scary.
That comment made me drop my Sonic Screwdriver while enjoying a pleasant laugh!