Are Bras Bad For You?

A little corner to talk bra sizing, good places to shop, helpful blog links, all things body positive.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Are Bras Bad For You?

Post by jwhouk »

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Atomic

Re: Are Bras Bad For You?

Post by Atomic »

Posted with comment:
Rouillon emphasized that his research was not based on a representative sample of all women and that it could be dangerous to advise all women stop wearing bras.
Dangerous how? Whiplash? Sudden Onset Gravity Ptosis?

Sheesh. Bras are a fashion item. Breasts vary as much as hip/thigh/rump shape. Not everybody has perky cones hovering just below the collarbone, or maintains them.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

To me this is an example of POP science, the type that is based on no real study except someone with a degree and some willing exhibitionist to be test subjects. I just wonder how many of his subjects even had a well fit bra in the first place. Last time I checked the fit of the bra makes all the difference in the effect on the body. The note that he did not use a representative sample also shows that he did not use proper scientific protocols needed to get real results.
Sometimes the acts of so called scientists scares the living poop out of me. Just saying
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

The male that did the study needs to grow a pair(of boobs). His study is very faulty.

Gee, I have an unofficial study with a bunch of my girl friends, all with children. Those that wear proper fitting bras, and are healthy in all other regards, don't sag. Those that either go au naturale or wear ill fitting bras and are less healthy, sag very greatly. After I had my son, I had to be refitted six times before he was two to get a comfortable fit. Even with nursing, after I got the right bra, no more sagging. My posture corrected, the support fixed the other issues while I got back into shape.
I bounce through sizes over the next several years, and it shows when I wasn't taking quite as good care of the girls(I had to choose between clothes and pullups for the kiddo, or a new bra.

Here's my picture proof:
ImageMy son was an infant, brand new bra, posture's good.
ImageNeeded a new one, as My back hurt...a lot!
ImagePics don't lie, I needed some support!
ImageEven in a peasant top, an ill fitting bra tells all.
ImageHard to take a pic of self, but the years of wearing corrective gear(and let's face it, that's what they are) makes for better posture and overall health.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Mark N wrote:Sometimes the acts of so called scientists scares the living poop out of me. Just saying
Indeed. This is the kind of thing that makes people suspicious of REAL scientists who are actually TRYING to perform worthwhile research that will benefit all. This is why there's so much anti-science in society & why so many people complain about there being no cure for cancer yet. These clowns like Professor Rouillon are ruining everything. :x
End rant.

On a lighter note: DinkyInky, it's a pleasure to put a face to the name. :mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Like DinkyInky says... a bra is more than a fashion statement, it provides key structural support to prevent excess strain that stresses the elasticity of the region to the point of incredulity.

A well-fitted bra prevents many potential problems. Locking and loading the girls keeps inertia from affecting them as you perform high delta-v maneuvers, which in turn prevents an extra six to ten pounds of mass moving at an independent vector to alter the trajectory of the maneuver beyond safety margins. It also prevents injury by whiplash in those same areas.

Furthermore, it allows a more even distribution of weight on the load-bearing shoulders, which in turn eases the stress on the lumbar region of the spine, which further facilitates ease of movement even under high delta-v conditions.

As the size and mass increases, the more a well-fitted bra assists in alleviating these problems.

Now mind you... an incorrectly fitted bra can be very detrimental to the health and well being of the wearer. Which is why it is so important, particularly as the size increases, to have a properly fitted bra. Which, particularly once you pass the DD cup size, generally means going to a professional to get properly measured and fitted.

tl;dr version: Whomever came up with that nonsense has no clue about basic physics and kinesthesis
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

This researcher was French? He may as well have been German and named Dr. Boobengrabben.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:
Mark N wrote:Sometimes the acts of so called scientists scares the living poop out of me. Just saying
Indeed. This is the kind of thing that makes people suspicious of REAL scientists who are actually TRYING to perform worthwhile research that will benefit all. This is why there's so much anti-science in society & why so many people complain about there being no cure for cancer yet. These clowns like Professor Rouillon are ruining everything. :x
End rant.

On a lighter note: DinkyInky, it's a pleasure to put a face to the name. :mrgreen:
:oops: Awww...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

shadowinthelight wrote:This researcher was French? He may as well have been German and named Dr. Boobengrabben.
No relation to Otto Titsling.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Julie

Post by Julie »

I saw this in a piece on Good Morning America last week. Aside from the humor of seeing George Stephanopolous and Josh Elliot looking extremely uncomfortable as the only males on set during that bit, I thought that the whole thing was ridiculous (and so did the GMA crew). They even brought up the fact that tribal/indigenous groups that do not have bras or similar supportive garments for their women have shown large numbers of saggy breasts...so obviously going without a bra does not improve perkiness.

That said, they also did speak with a doctor (I think it might have been a plastic surgeon) who said that the research may be at least somewhat valid...in that it is possible that girls who are still developing physically may not develop the needed musculature and elasticity to have perkier (and potentially healthier) breasts if they start wearing bras too soon (because the bra takes away the body's need to develop those aspects).

But in the end gravity is still gravity...and the larger the bosom, the greater the need for a bra to fight the natural downward trend (and the tendency to develop terrible posture as a result).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:This researcher was French? He may as well have been German and named Dr. Boobengrabben.
Damnit, ya beat me to it! The Divine Miss M does a hilarious song and dance number about that...

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

I recall one minor character in one of Keith Laumer's "Retief" stories. Jame Retief is a somewhat Bond-like member of the CDT (Earth's diplomatic corps) assigned to serve on alien worlds. Most of his "superiors" in the CDT, most of the nonhumans, and many of the minor characters are given humorous play-on-words names (e.g. Ambassador Grossblunder, hugely-muscular aliens named Whonk and Smelch, etc.).

In one story (I don't recall which) Retief came to the rescue of one of the women in the local CDT mission. Her name - Miss Braswell.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

DinkyInky wrote:
Atomic wrote:
Damnit, ya beat me to it! The Divine Miss M does a hilarious song and dance number about that...
Sure does!

My Deviant Art scribbles
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Atomic wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Atomic wrote:No relation to Otto Titsling.
Sure does!
Yeaaah, that's the one. :lol:

--Safyr Drathmir