Sweet Dreams 2013-05-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
eee

Re: Sweet Dreams 2013-05-23

Post by eee »

So Brandi - or at least Senior Director Oduya - can turn Bud off. Let's see her try that with Jin. ;)

(I note the Senior Director may be making a mistake here. We know from history that humanity wasn't wiped out by all the destruction caused by these events, but instead recovered and spread. In 1000 years it may be too late to reintroduce all these people. She should stay awake to monitor the situation instead of shutting down; it's not as if she's got a limited life-time, after all. But it looks like she's going to take a time out. Which she probably shouldn't...)
davids4250 wrote:I still think that with the thousands of years they have been together, Acacia and Jin would have noticed the changes "Gurk" between Brandi and Oduya. The sudden difference between the two would be very noticeable.
Who says they haven't? If Bud was the co-founder of the MiB she would surely have realized that sometimes the woman she was working with WASN'T the Brandi she knew. But what could they do about it? I doubt they could turn HER off, or seal her away, or fix her in any way. They had to deal with things as they were.
Julie

Post by Julie »

eee wrote:(I note the Senior Director may be making a mistake here. We know from history that humanity wasn't wiped out by all the destruction caused by these events, but instead recovered and spread. In 1000 years it may be too late to reintroduce all these people. She should stay awake to monitor the situation instead of shutting down; it's not as if she's got a limited life-time, after all. But it looks like she's going to take a time out. Which she probably shouldn't...)
I doubt she's turning herself off at this point. I think that someone else was right in guessing that the Director shut Bud down to avoid having any witnesses for her next actions (don't remember who it was who said this already, and don't have time to dig for the quote). Call me crazy, but the Senior Director just gives me the collywobbles sometimes. I wouldn't trust everything she said as fact in any instance. AND I'm not a fan of the fact that she has control over Bud like that. Maybe that's because I'm a huge Bud fan, but it seems a bit wrong for pieces of the Chimera to have control over other pieces of the Chimera.

I guess that we can assume that the grid was functioning at this point though...since Brandi got her personality split already.

Oh...and I like where DilyV went with this...maybe we'll get to see something from 1000 years later that helps explain what happened to Lily. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

zachariah wrote:Brandi definitely lied to them about an extinction level event. She wanted them out of circulation. An event of that size would take a lot longer to settle down than a thousand years. It also has to be a localized event as Egyptian civilization was not seriously affected by it or it would be in the histories they left. So why were they taken out of circulation?

I think Bud was put into a crystal, not to sleep. If she was sent to sleep state she should have poited to base, not just flash away. That was the stargate, not a poit.
I definately think your on to something there. I went hunting and the closest geologicalk mass extiction I could find was the Holocene extinction, and that was 10,000 years ago at the end of the last Ice Age. I think part of the deal Brandolyn made with the demons was to get the remanants of the Lanthian civilization out of the way. The knowledge and technology that made the creation of the Chimera possible was still in existance. As I see it, Brandi made the deal to get a second personality that could put the plan into full effect, that personality being Senior Director Odoya.

The Plan probably went something like this.

Stage one; Establish the World Grid to keep meddling Elder Gods of of the planet and set up the Bibliothiki as Earth's gatekeeper.

Stage two; Take Lantian tech out of the mix so no one creates another Chimera, or something even worse, like a plutonium powered apple peeler. Stage Two was going to be hard to pull off. It would require nutralizing all the knowledge and people who could utilize it. Even SD Odoya wasn't going to murder thousands to cover up the existince of the Anasasi. The answer was to fake a disaster and get everyone to willingly store themselves in the stargate crystals. That takes care of the knowledge and the people who could make use of it.

Stage Three; Secure the site, make sure there are no written records for the library to record and leave. This apparently went off without a hitch. The Library has no knowledge of the stargate cache and the Mapami Silent Zone remains a mystery.

Enter Dr. Katherine Gilkrist. She is apparently a modern Anasasi, who may or may not be a Chimera in her own right. She's been subtley (and not so subtely) nudged into a position to discover the truth about her heritige. And, wether she realizes it or not, she's being given the final say on what to do about the thousands of ancient humans left in storage. If she is a guardian, she's going to have decide what to do with the knowledge, and wether the world is ready for an influx of Lanthian decendants.

End wild ass guessing.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

zachariah wrote:Brandi definitely lied to them about an extinction level event. She wanted them out of circulation. An event of that size would take a lot longer to settle down than a thousand years. It also has to be a localized event as Egyptian civilization was not seriously affected by it or it would be in the histories they left. So why were they taken out of circulation?
From what I've been able to find, it didn't even seem to put a serious dent in Neolithic China. The Yangshao culture existed from 5000 - 3000 BCE; Kikai popped right in the middle of that.

Wild theorizing- The Etheitians were an advanced culture close to reaching the same levels of tech that the Lanthians did before they were burned. Unfortunately, they were moving in the same direction as the Lanthians as well. Rather that allow history to repeat itself (maybe even ending up with another Chimera), Brandi manufactured the catastrophe and funneled all of the people into permanent storage. Then she somehow purged the records and memories of those left, making it as if the Etheitians never existed.

Unanswered question: How do Lily and her lost girls, Kath, and the technomagic baby blender all fit in?

Edit: Ninja'd by Boxilar, who seems to be having a similar line of thought. 8-)
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Aleister Crow wrote:
From what I've been able to find, it didn't even seem to put a serious dent in Neolithic China. The Yangshao culture existed from 5000 - 3000 BCE; Kikai popped right in the middle of that.

Wild theorizing- The Etheitians were an advanced culture close to reaching the same levels of tech that the Lanthians did before they were burned. Unfortunately, they were moving in the same direction as the Lanthians as well. Rather that allow history to repeat itself (maybe even ending up with another Chimera), Brandi manufactured the catastrophe and funneled all of the people into permanent storage. Then she somehow purged the records and memories of those left, making it as if the Etheitians never existed.

Unanswered question: How do Lily and her lost girls, Kath, and the technomagic baby blender all fit in?

Edit: Ninja'd by Boxilar, who seems to be having a similar line of thought. 8-)
Yeah, but you said it more elegantly. I tent to ramble on when I get ahold of a thought.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Moral side (the soft, cute girl who was the child care worker in Lanthis) = "Brandi".
She's the one that we see most of the time in WS.

Intellectual side (the writer of the book) = "Senior Director Oduya".
Lips and eyes change when she's at the helm.

And yes, you would think that Bud (at least) would have noticed the difference between the two. Jin - well, she had her own issues to deal with, apparently.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

jwhouk wrote:Moral side (the soft, cute girl who was the child care worker in Lanthis) = "Brandi".
She's the one that we see most of the time in WS.

Intellectual side (the writer of the book) = "Senior Director Oduya".
Lips and eyes change when she's at the helm.

And yes, you would think that Bud (at least) would have noticed the difference between the two. Jin - well, she had her own issues to deal with, apparently.
From my own experience I'm not sure it intellectuality is the proper term for what is in play here. Intellect is knowledge and the application of it... What seems to be happening within Brandi is more a struggle between Moral and Ethical issues. Think back to the end of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan for a moment. Remember the line:

Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh..."
Kirk: "The needs of the few..."
Spock: "Or the one..."

What Spock did was the moral thing to do... sacrifice himself for the survival of the rest of the crew. Kirk though would have thought more ethically I think... refusing to let Spock sacrifice himself while attempting to find another way to avoid the genesis implosion (it would have to be an implosion to suck in all the mass of the Mutara Nebula to make the planet). Ethics often dictates results good for the individual, not the masses.

Brandi must have been faced with that moral dilemma when forced to separate the mothers from their fetuses. The sheer immenseness of the grief she felt at what had happened when all the fourths of each quad carrying mother were piled into one crystal triggered Senior Director Oduya to appear to make the ethical choice. Putting Accacia into "sleep mode" was her way of ensuring no one witnessed the ethical decision she is about to make.
All things being equal, what is often moral isn't ethical, and vice versa...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Timotheus wrote:And I've got Leinenkugel honey weiss on tap along with Fosters, but I'm open to suggestions for the third.
Sam Smith's - either Taddy Porter (my preference) or Oatmeal Stout.

If those aren't available, Theakston's Old Peculier is acceptable.

(Hold a [clear glass] bottle of any of them to the light ... and none comes through...)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
as363

Post by as363 »

Skulker wrote

Lanthians came out of the myth of Atlantis (old world). What myths come from the new world that might fit? Google and Wikis search by letters. Maybe we need to search by phonemes or sounds. Put on your punster hats and dig into new world history.

Are you going to organize the relief fund for those that run short. The Pun Vault can get very testy is a suitable amount of any sort is not forthcoming.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Fairportfan wrote:
Timotheus wrote:And I've got Leinenkugel honey weiss on tap along with Fosters, but I'm open to suggestions for the third.

(Hold a [clear glass] bottle of any of them to the light ... and none comes through...)
MMmmm, Stout - the beer that eats like a meal.... :) .
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Finally, work is back on the net, and I'm caught back up on what's going on. So, what caused the glitch? And how does Brandi's condition tie in?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

MMmmm, Stout - the beer that eats like a meal.... :) .
Well ... SOME stout. And then there's overrated toxic sludge:
SA_0520_small.jpg
SA_0520_small.jpg (88.05 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I probably should avoid this point but, yesterday Bud mentioned that Tepoz told them they were protecting the Etheitans. If Tepoz told them this is after he was made their guardian. By other points that doesn't happen until Just before the time loop starts. I think this flashback has a few holes in it and when it happened.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I'm just going to chime in and say Yuengling Lager is good stuff. If you prefer darker beers, they make Black&Tan and Porter too. Sorry if you aren't in NY PA NJ MD DE DC WV VA NC SC TN AL GA FL OH you're out of luck. I've tried a lot of beer, and I keep coming back to Yuengling, except when I'm in a state that doesn't handle it. :evil:

So I'll be sipping one and speculating on what's going to happen for cliff hanger Friday.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Don't really care for lagers that much.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:I probably should avoid this point but, yesterday Bud mentioned that Tepoz told them they were protecting the Etheitans. If Tepoz told them this is after he was made their guardian. By other points that doesn't happen until Just before the time loop starts. I think this flashback has a few holes in it and when it happened.
Can you point out those "other points"? The main Wapsi chronology document says that Tepoz took charge of the golems long before that... between 10,000 and 5,000 BCE... and then brought them to the New World. The time loops didn't start until Mayahuel tried to destroy the Calendar Machine, and this was only about 1500 years ago.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

As long as we are discussing beers and other fermented malt beverages, I'm fond of bocks myself. I also enjoy Heileman's Special Export, which for a while was the only US beer allowed to be imported into Germany that met their strict beer-purity laws. There is a malt beverage that I'm not sure of the name, but it's like a stout without any hops, leaving it with a slightly sweet, very heavy texture minus the hop bitterness. I can't drink much of this beer as it is as alcoholic as wine (about 16% by volume). Potent stuff, with a slight coffee or chocolate aftertaste. I wish I could remember what it was called, because it ain't beer.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I briefly considered laying in a supply of Olde Frothingslosh, the pale stale ale for the pale stale male, but decided it might be a little to light for this crowd. How light is it? Well it's signature mark is that it's froth head stays at the bottom of the glass.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sounds rather like frobscottle, but alcoholic (barely). I'd give it a try (if only for the whizpoppers it would produce). ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

hey gang, we're getting serious topic drift here... they have a forum set up specifically for talking about beers already set up... could you move that discussion there please?
Don't planto mihi adveho illac