Six Women 2013-05-21

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Boxilar

Re: Six Women 2013-05-21

Post by Boxilar »

scantrontb wrote:
Bud_Fanboi wrote:I'm getting a serious Gorillaz vibe from Bud in that last panel lol
I've got sunshine in a bag,...

i liked the slower version of that song that they synced to the flash video rather than the faster, radio-edit they put out on their first CD...
The video version was track 5 on the CD, "Clint Eastwood". (Undead blue Gorrilla Zombies doing the Thriller, FTW.)

The faster radio edit was track 10 on the CD, "Left Hand Sazuki Method".

But yeah, Acacia has a Russel thing going there.

Finally,Some one let me out of my cage...
Julie

Post by Julie »

So yeah....sounds like we know why there are 6 kachina dolls. :shock:

Now the question is does trying to "fix" this result in the six mothers being dropped in the desert? If so, I seriously wonder how Lily became a vampire since it involves being forgotten...unless Brandi's personality separation resulted in her forgetting this whole event...and Bud was less involved and therefore not inclined to mourn/remember the six missing women (and their quadruplets) in the same obsessive agonizing way that Brandi would...

Aaand I'm going to join the ranks of people who are really intrigued by Bud's "default" appearance at this point in the timeline. I'm still going to call it creepy sexy...but the glowy eyes and mouth thing could be a bit off-putting over time. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Well, so much for my demon theory. :roll:

I think the reason this caught Brandi so badly off-guard is that they didn't have a population big enough to account for that number of quads, nor any Lanthian fertility treatments to worry about. It was just bad luck- a "get hit six times by lightning" scale breaking of the odds.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
eee

Post by eee »

Julie wrote:So yeah....sounds like we know why there are 6 kachina dolls. :shock:

Now the question is does trying to "fix" this result in the six mothers being dropped in the desert? If so, I seriously wonder how Lily became a vampire since it involves being forgotten...unless Brandi's personality separation resulted in her forgetting this whole event...and Bud was less involved and therefore not inclined to mourn/remember the six missing women (and their quadruplets) in the same obsessive agonizing way that Brandi would...

Aaand I'm going to join the ranks of people who are really intrigued by Bud's "default" appearance at this point in the timeline. I'm still going to call it creepy sexy...but the glowy eyes and mouth thing could be a bit off-putting over time. :P
But were they the mothers or the six extra children, made adults? If Brandi set the system up to handle everything up to triplets, the mothers and the first three children would be fine, the fourth child in each case would be overflow. We'll have to see what the program does with overflow data. Apparently it doesn't cause a crash; so those kids would either have to be being shunted... somewhere... or deleted.

As to Bud, that's GOT to be an intentional look. Unless she's been eating plutonium. But you have to wonder what sort of role she's playing in this society that walking around in mummy wrappings and glowing from eyes and mouth (but not nose, ears, or - I hope - any other orifice) is normal for her.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Let's see fresh popcorn in the cart, coffee in the pot, the micro wave's cleaned out, and soda in the fridge. I guess I'll work on getting those three used taps and their line chiller I got at the salvaged fixtures yard up and running while waiting for the next few episodes. Do people prefer pinball, darts, or pool for the confusion corner?
I'm coming to the conclusion it'll be better to wait for a couple weeks worth of story to accumulate and then try to figure things out than this daily head to the desk business.

I would guess Bud is currently employed as a Egyptian pyramid guard and is merely dressed for the part.
Last edited by Timotheus on Tue May 21, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I find it interesting that Brandi and Acacia are desperately trying to save the remnants of the civilization they had previously destroyed.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

SIX women, all pregnant with quadruplets. Even considering they're at different stages (4 weeks along, 8 weeks, etc) there's no way can that be a coincidence, no way. I might be paranoid, but this seriously looks like somebody set Brandi up to fail.
So let's give it some thought: Who would be harmed the most by the formation of the World Grid? The Titans and Elder Gods - assuming they had somehow gotten word about the Grid while it was being planned. But we don't know how long it took Brandi to come up with it, do we? If it only took her a month to plan & develop...well, hang on. Maybe that would be enough time for an Elder God to influence a few multiple pregnancies. Which would also make six sets of quads look even more suspicious, if they're all within a couple of weeks.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

eee wrote:As to Bud, that's GOT to be an intentional look. Unless she's been eating plutonium. But you have to wonder what sort of role she's playing in this society that walking around in mummy wrappings and glowing from eyes and mouth (but not nose, ears, or - I hope - any other orifice) is normal for her.
The Lanthian equivalent of an IRS tax auditor? Scary bodyguard for a high government or church official?

Or, perhaps, she was personally involved in the placing and activation of the Vimana cell at Kikai? This was clearly a very-high-energy event. It might be that Acacia's golem body was heated up to incandescence while she fiddled around in the caldera-go-boom and simply hasn't had time to cool down again. The "mummy wrappings" might just be a big roll of asbestos cloth that she wound around herself for modesty, as all of her regular outfits would be prone to burst into flame and she didn't have any submarine pipes to wear that day.
davids4250 wrote:I find it interesting that Brandi and Acacia are desperately trying to save the remnants of the civilization they had previously destroyed.
I suspect that guilt has quite a bit to do with it. There's quite a distance between taking revenge on the priests and religious hierarchy which tortured and murdered you, and burning down the whole civilization to glassy bedrock. The priests (arguably) had it coming... but the Chimera also slaughtered an immense number of perfectly innocent Lanthians (children, uninvolved adults, and probably many other victims of the priests' tyranny).

We know that (in modern times) Bud finds her knowledge of her part in this genocide to be a heavy burden to bear, even though she knows that she had been deliberately deprived of free will and hadn't been able to choose a different path. Probably not a new thing... if (at this point in the story) she has her memories of the Chimera years, she probably feels a lot of guilt. Same for Brandi, I suspect.

Working to save "the best of what's left" may be a way of at least partially atoning for what they did (... were forced to do).

Timotheus: I appreciate your efforts in Confusion Corner to remedy what ales us... stout fellow!
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

jwhouk wrote:Considering how much the Lanthians were into altering their world, fertility drugs wouldn't be unheard of.
That triggers some neurons ...
'Just Portly' from Linda Medley's [i]Castle Waiting[/i] wrote: Don't know how you folks can stand to have 'em one at a time! Have a good-sized litter and get it over with, my Hildy says! No offense!
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Okay - i'll say it again - six women with quadruplets.

Brandi's system accounts for up to triplets.

Six extra babies.

Lily and five other girls left in the desert to die...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Speculation ...

If Brandi could rescue a child, she would. Too bad for the mothers. Dropped off elsewhere, sans memories of how they got there. Lily and company?

Doesn't explain the kachina dolls. Doesn't explain various injuries of Lily and company.

Does explain their sex. And age: No need to "make them adults".

So. That would make Lily a mother of four, except she didn't give birth to any of them: They were kept on <strike>ice</strike>crystallic record.

But Kath seems to be an anasazi. Perhaps one of the (six times four) 24 children who were stored without their mothers? Did Brandi sneak out forty-odd years ago to find a surrogate mother for one of the 24 orphans? Has she done this before? And if she's doing it, why not bring back others as well? And what's the deal with the "buffer" Lily found in the stargate?

Nah, too many loose threads left. More data needed; awaiting more updates.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
notStanley

Post by notStanley »

Timotheus wrote: pinball, darts, or pool
Why does that have to be an "or" condition? If just assembly time, I can meet you after work the rest of this week. Since you are already working on the taps, I will bring pizza.
as363

Post by as363 »

I notice that Mr. P.has not stepped in to correct the ideas being discussed today - which would suggest that most - if not all are on the right track. That being the case - the margin of error is a very small percentile . But that raises another problem . How do you revive a small percent at a time - which ones would qualify - and where do you place them. ?

The U.S. border is not that secure - and you can use the "stargates" to move people in small groups - but there is the problem of I.D.'s - birth certificates and S.S. numbers here. There are other places where you could have them go - but I'm thinking it would be a problem there . Does the possibility exist that they could be transferred to a duplicate dimension that does not have a large technical population ? That could solve many things.
Dave

Post by Dave »

as363 wrote:I notice that Mr. P.has not stepped in to correct the ideas being discussed today - which would suggest that most - if not all are on the right track.
Or, he's sitting back and happily watching us jump to Conclusions, knowing that we'll all have a hard swim back to shore ;)

I certainly hope he gets as much fun out of reading our speculations, as we get from making them!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
as363 wrote:I notice that Mr. P.has not stepped in to correct the ideas being discussed today - which would suggest that most - if not all are on the right track.
Or, he's sitting back and happily watching us jump to Conclusions, knowing that we'll all have a hard swim back to shore ;)
Yes, indeedy. That island. I seem to recall that the Humbug spent a lot of time there.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Bud_Fanboi wrote:I'm getting a serious Gorillaz vibe from Bud in that last panel lol
It was the Glitter Freeze.

As heard from the third row in very close proximity to the speakers... prolly took a couple years off my hearing...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie wrote:I'm still going to call it creepy sexy...but the glowy eyes and mouth thing could be a bit off-putting over time. :P
Bud's future boyfriend: "OK, I get you want to read before going to sleep but could you please use a small lamp or something"?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

as363 wrote:The U.S. border is not that secure - and you can use the "stargates" to move people in small groups - but there is the problem of I.D.'s - birth certificates and S.S. numbers here. There are other places where you could have them go - but I'm thinking it would be a problem there . Does the possibility exist that they could be transferred to a duplicate dimension that does not have a large technical population ? That could solve many things.
I don't think Brandi considered that to be a problem as she thought the earth would be wiped clean of humans since they would not be able to breathe. When things became livable again, she simply restores the only survivors of the catastrophe she caused. That brings up a point though. We know there were more than her "people" on the earth when all this went down. So basically she wiped out hundreds of thousands, maybe millions by her blunder with the world grid. She doesn't seem too distraught about that. Yet goes to pieces over these few? I guess some lives are more important than others to her. That is to say would have wiped them out IF things had gone as she expected.

Of course, Paul may yet come up with a scenario in which there was only the advanced civilization on the earth (archeological evidence to the contrary) so everyone but these six were stored.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

After some further background wandering I will hazard a more detailed guess that Bud is wrapped up like that because she is acting as a tomb guard somewhere. At the time this action is taking place the first stone and brick mound tombs are being built in the middle east and the interred bodies are heavily wrapped and masked. So a clay guardian placed in a tomb or vault to protect it would also be wrapped and masked.
Afterwards the guardian could just leave the mask behind and poit in and out as needed.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

as363 wrote:I notice that Mr. P.has not stepped in to correct the ideas being discussed today - which would suggest that most - if not all are on the right track. That being the case - the margin of error is a very small percentile . But that raises another problem . How do you revive a small percent at a time - which ones would qualify - and where do you place them. ?

The U.S. border is not that secure - and you can use the "stargates" to move people in small groups - but there is the problem of I.D.'s - birth certificates and S.S. numbers here. There are other places where you could have them go - but I'm thinking it would be a problem there . Does the possibility exist that they could be transferred to a duplicate dimension that does not have a large technical population ? That could solve many things.
"Fake" ID's would not be a problem for introducing rescuees. 1) MIB's. 2) Immortal politicians.
Ne?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville