My Location 2013-05-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

My Location 2013-05-14

Post by Fairportfan »

Oh.

=====================

BTW: "... an extinction level event ..."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Re: My Location 2013-05-14

Post by Fairportfan »

Interesting glyph on Brandi's forehead, there...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Oh boy. When Brandi is involved in an Oops, it does look like it's a real doozy of an Oops. My comment about Brandi's Fault may not have been too far off the mark.

She really shouldn't have tried to use that Vimana cell from the mine on Praxis. There was a reason it was for sale so cheaply.

And... I suspect that "everyone" may have started though their stargates toward Brandi's location... but I don't think they arrived. Brandi "did the rest" by putting them into suspension in those high-capacity information-storage crystals.
Last edited by Dave on Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I think.. I think all those "storage crystals" are people.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Is this a 6,000-year-old message caught in the buffer? Hello, computer!
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

I was right. The crystals are all of the Anasazi people. They came and got stored to protect them from a climate collapse that never happened. The question is did Brandi make a mistake about the climate failure, or did she want them in storage? I was going to say cold storage but that was a reach.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

The Old Wolf wrote:Is this a 6,000-year-old message caught in the buffer? Hello, computer!
For a buffer to be purged either a new message has to go through, or a clean up routine has to exist. I guess who ever built the system was a bad house keeper.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Boxilar wrote:I think.. I think all those "storage crystals" are people.
At least they are not green squares sold in super markets near you.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote:Oh boy. When Brandi is involved in an Oops, it does look like it's a real doozy of an Oops. My comment about Brandi's Fault may not have been too far off the mark.

And... I suspect that "everyone" may have started though their stargates toward Brandi's location... but I don't think they arrived. Brandi "did the rest" by putting them into suspension in those high-capacity information-storage crystals.
Very nice idea. It would be easier to capture the information about the person as they came through the stargate and store it rather than remake them at the landing grid. Of course to do this would mean the stargate worked more like the Star Trek teleporter than we think it does. To store them would require the Gate scans them, breaks them down into data, sends the data, then rebuild them. Then it's a matter if skipping the last step and moving the data into the crystal. Maybe it does work that way.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:Interesting glyph on Brandi's forehead, there...

Indeed. Someone should ask about that. Tell you what, I'll ask Brandi and Phix can ask Bia. 8-)
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

The Anasazi spoke modern English? Why the Rosetta crystal then?

...back to the confusion corner...
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

zachariah wrote:
The Old Wolf wrote:Is this a 6,000-year-old message caught in the buffer? Hello, computer!
For a buffer to be purged either a new message has to go through, or a clean up routine has to exist. I guess who ever built the system was a bad house keeper.
Its not in the buffer, its a file in the registry.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Well, the grid is supposed to keep the major (and nasty) gods (who were actuall survivors of Lanthis who had some high end tech with them) from intruding into our world. Suppose instead that it was to create a pseudo-emergency to induce a panic response in those individuals leading them into a trap, i.e. "Set your stargates to my location, and I'll do the rest." Probably only the people at the top had stargates. If so, then the people stored in those crystals are ones you don't want to let out.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

txmystic wrote:The Anasazi spoke modern English?
Not only that but they invented touch screen monitors, a universal GUI (graphical user interface), that is so perfect that Kath can instantly recognize and activate a video file 6000 years later, and an OS that uses a registry! When the Anasazis get revitalized maybe they should sue Microsoft for copyright or patent infringement? And to add to their prowess, they created "Star Charts" that can be carved into stone or viewed on a monitor and instantly eye balled to four to eight digit accuracy with no outside reference or view of the sky required!

I wonder where all their cell phones are that were necessary to receive this message?

I am afraid Paul is losing me here. I can accept internally consistent demons, magic, superpowers, etc in a good story but this is stretching things so far as to take me right out of the story. I am relly struggling to stay with him. It's like saying all aliens, evolving from vastly different worlds and galaxies, have a humanoid shape.
Last edited by TheSkulker on Tue May 14, 2013 3:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Maybe it's a temp file and no one has been able to either save it permanently or finish the action, so it just sits there waiting for the next command that never comes.

Could this also be a case of something that happened on a previous time cycle and somehow has survived the calendar machine reset? We have no record of such a catastrophic volcanic event, just the one near Japan.
Last edited by Timotheus on Tue May 14, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Why did Brandi lie about the climate failure? There was no nuclear winter from these events. There could have been but it either didn't happen or someone stopped it from happening. If it was deliberate why did she want them gone?
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

Timotheus wrote:Maybe it's a temp file and no one has been able to either save it permanently or finish the action, so it just sits there waiting for the next command that never comes.
Why assume temporary? Kath stated she found it in the registry, not a buffer or other temp location.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13
illiad

Post by illiad »

TheSkulker wrote:
txmystic wrote:The Anasazi spoke modern English?
Not only that but they invented touch screen monitors, a universal GUI (graphical user interface), that is so perfect that Kath can instantly recognize and activate a video file 6000 years later, and an OS that uses a registry! When the Anasazis get revitalized maybe they should sue Microsoft for copyright or patent infringement? And to add to their prowess, they created "Star Charts" that can be carved into stone or viewed on a monitor and instantly eye balled to four to eight digit accuracy with no outside reference or view of the sky required!
nope, It think it was quite a few degrees better than MS... have a look at linux.... :)
I wonder where all their cell phones are that were necessary to receive this message?
have you seen the series 'Continuum' ?? ALL the transmitters, receivers, computing, storage is 'under your skin' in a biological organic computer....

I am afraid Paul is losing me here. I can accept internally consistent demons, magic, superpowers, etc in a good story but this is stretching things so far as to take me right out of the story. I am relly struggling to stay with him. It's like saying all aliens, evolving from vastly different worlds and galaxies, have a humanoid shape.
"any science, sufficiently advanced, will seem to a primitive culture, like demons and magic" :)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote:I was right. The crystals are all of the Anasazi people. They came and got stored to protect them from a climate collapse that never happened. The question is did Brandi make a mistake about the climate failure, or did she want them in storage? I was going to say cold storage but that was a reach.
Tends to look that way but we don't know that for certain yet.

Strange though. They kept the grid in place even though it was destroying the planet? Seems a bit at cross purposes. And how many people were in this group anyway? Looks like hundreds of thousands according to Kath. How many were on the earth at that time? Were those without access to a stargate left to die? And how could they all come through at once into one place? Must be one hellofa system to support that many concurrent users. Then processing hundreds of thousands of people for crystallization as they come through at once would be a staggering job for any machine.

Finally, is that really Brandi? Remember, Bia can take any shape (at any age) she pleases.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Did Bia have fangs when we saw her? I can't remember.
=====================
=====================
mike weber