Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Post by jwhouk »

Ah HA!

Cookies for everyone who predicted that it was a "welcome screen" - and a Death Note!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Re: Welcome Screen 2013-05-10

Post by zachariah »

Bingo I was right. It's a last minute Read Me file. If they expected to die the question is why? Did this happen when the GG girls went off before the pulse made it this far? Or was it one of the sacrifices to make the spider women. We can't forget her now can we.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Even if the person who dictated the message died right after, Kath and Sali should be OK as long as the last word wasn't "aaargh".
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

<Arte Johnson>Verrrrryy IN teresting.</Arte Johnson>

OK this establishes that Kat is literate in multiple languages, at least two of which are dead languages. So besides being a textile expert, she can read the care tag no matter how old the garment is as long as it remains legible :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

The care tag on the textiles???

You seriously mean to say that she (and Atsali) came all this distance, suffered all that they did, just to encounter the ancient equivalent of All soap abandon, ye who launder here?

That would be quite terrible.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Dave wrote:The care tag on the textiles???

You seriously mean to say that she (and Atsali) came all this distance, suffered all that they did, just to encounter the ancient equivalent of All soap abandon, ye who launder here?

That would be quite terrible.

Not nearly as terrible as what the Pun Jar is going to do to you! I think you are washed up.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Okay Okay... we get it Kath... you don't have to translate all of it, just give us a few sentences!!! Inquiring minds want to know!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

All right, I posted the list of glyphs from older strips over here; anyone want to try to do some deciphering of all the various glyphs in yesterday's panel?

I noticed that Monica's "glyph sign" (the "Oo") is upside down in the lower left part of yesterday's last panel. I wonder if that's a "turn off" symbol?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Want the remainder of the Glyph alphabet. I realize Paul has never fully developed the Lanthan language, but I still want it.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:All right, I posted the list of glyphs from older strips over here; anyone want to try to do some deciphering of all the various glyphs in yesterday's panel?

I noticed that Monica's "glyph sign" (the "Oo") is upside down in the lower left part of yesterday's last panel. I wonder if that's a "turn off" symbol?

We also see Brandi's glyph (the crossed W) inverted there, and the horizontal-oval-with-two-vertical-lines glyph, and the =D one too. If you use Katherine's left ear as a reference point, the script to the right is correctly displayed while there's a flipped echo of it beneath.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

I don't know about Glyph, but neither does Kat so it doesn't matter, but can you carry first-person inflection in written Sumerian? You can't in written English. As example, have you ever written an email or IM to someone with no anger or malice whatsoever and have gotten a response were they thought you were viciously attacking them? That's because people read first-person messages (Ex. "How are you? I think we should meet. Get out of there now." Messages that read like someone is speaking to you) in their own internal voice, and that is greatly influenced by their mood when they read it. Kat just survived several deadly experiences. Te welcome screen could say, "Hi. Here are the keys to the world. Enjoy," and she could still read it like it was from someone who knew they were about to die, because that's her current mindset.
Last edited by CraigR on Fri May 10, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Uh.

Oh.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Hmmmm. As Kathy said you need to know one or more of the languages to figure out the third. Having two know would make it more likely they could. She also noted the rest of the screen is in the third language, not Sumerian. So the welcome screen gives her a little it does not allow her to really translate the note. To figure it out they need someone fluent in Glyph. That means Monica! Brandi is in Mesa Verdi and not coming to the center. Now Lilly might read the third language as she does read the glyphs from the cave. So what were the hurried and scared last words dictated to the crystal thingy?

'It's a cook book. Oh my god, it's a cook book!""
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
donoho

Post by donoho »

First Thought: Glyph Screen of Death

**Drops Ancient Token Ring into pun jar, backs away slowly**
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

jwhouk wrote:Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.

I see, sooo, the "Oo"-glyph = #enable ? :P
Last edited by Jay-Em on Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Press 1 for Sumarian. Press 2 for Lanthian. Press 3 for...?
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jay-Em wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Something I noticed, looking back through the list of glyph references: whenever Monica uses it herself, she starts with her "Oo" glyph.
I see, sooo, the "Oo"-glyph = #enable ? :P
That would make her The Enabler?
Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:Even if the person who dictated the message died right after, Kath and Sali should be OK as long as the last word wasn't "aaargh".
Yeah...that was my first thought. :P

Soooo...I wonder if the data stored here is more akin to the private records of a civilization...their plans, activities, rituals...and then eventually, the last words of the last of them as he/she is preparing for his/her own death. That could be a very interesting read...especially for an anthropologist/historian. :)

Yeah...this may not be the usual epic cliff-hanger we so dread on Fridays, but it's still going to leave me on pins and needles while we wait for the big reveal. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

zachariah wrote:'It's a cook book. Oh my god, it's a cook book!""
Ah, the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man", I loved that one! :)
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick