Rosetta Screen 2013-05-09

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Rosetta Screen 2013-05-09

Post by Dave »

So, what's all this I hear about a Rosetta Scone?

Considering how powerful Glyph is as a language, and considering that a good deal of Sumerian is understood... this bilingual screen could be a very dangerous artifact indeed! If Katherine starts mumbling something about Dingir Xul, run!
Fairportfan

Re: Rosetta Screen 2013-05-09

Post by Fairportfan »

SCORE! for The Intrepid Adventuresses!
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Those two better be careful and not break anything. Rosetta Stone is expensive.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

As a totally different subject, at what point are we going to discover Dietzel is related to Anubis in some manner?
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Now they need Monica to translate. Or can Brandi do that? Is this what the library is after? All the stored records contained within. Does it resent the fact it doesn't have everything ever written???

I still suspect there are not simple memory storage but copies of the people themselves stored in the crystals.
Last edited by zachariah on Thu May 09, 2013 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Timotheus wrote:As a totally different subject, at what point are we going to discover Dietzel is related to Anubis in some manner?
You might be barking up the wrong tree on this one. It would be arfily suspicious if it was true.

I'd try and drop Dietzel in the pun jar but the pizza lady word do BAD things to me.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:Those two better be careful and not break anything. Rosetta Stone is expensive.
That page kills Opera every time i try to go to it.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Now they need Monica to translate. Or can Brandi do that? Is this what the library is after? All the stored records contained within. Does it resent the fact it doesn't have everything ever written???
No - if it is a "Rosetta Stone", Katharine may be able to. (Assuming she can read Sumerian, instead of just recognising it.)

The original Rosetta Stone was a stone with the same text in three languages carved on it, one of which (Egyptian hieroglyphics) had not been deciphered. This allowed archaeologists to begin interpreting hieroglyphic texts.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:Now they need Monica to translate. Or can Brandi do that? Is this what the library is after? All the stored records contained within. Does it resent the fact it doesn't have everything ever written???
No - if it is a "Rosetta Stone", Katharine may be able to. (Assuming she can read Sumerian, instead of just recognising it.)

The original Rosetta Stone was a stone with the same text in three languages carved on it, one of which (Egyptian hieroglyphics) had not been deciphered. This allowed archaeologists to begin interpreting hieroglyphic texts.
We may be making a mistake on this. This might not be a translation aid. This could be is the menu screen explaining what the glyphs do. Touching this glyph causes this to happen. Like what we get when hitting F1. It would be set to pop up every time a new user access the screen. If Kathy does know Sumerian then she can figure out how to use the system.

I wonder if they have a version of 'Hello World' in glyph?

That means tomorrows strip could be another Glyph hanger.

Drops a broken keyboard in the pun jar along with a copy of Pink Forth.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Che sono "Pink Forth"?

An OS?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:Che sono "Pink Forth"?

An OS?
One of the first object oriented, class structured, programming languages. Started as Forth, but Pink Forth was a better release version. Problem was there was no standardization and each copy soon became unique. The very idea of open source and someone to manage the final release did not even exist. It grew because basic could not be expanded.
Jay-Em

Post by Jay-Em »

Suppose the crystal room is a library, meant for posterity. Left there after the final demise of the Lanthians, it would make sense to leave a multi-language manual behind.

If this crystal library is meant also as a warning, it would be imperative to make sure that "those that came afer us" can at least read the terminal, if only to offer a way to access the info in the crystals.

However, the thing that unseats my "warning theory", is the fact that, apparently, ónly the Anazasi can activate portal and terminal.
Why?? There would be nó use in it for modern people. No-one would be able to activate it.

Are the only two Anazasi left, somehow related to some Cycle even bígger than the calendar-machine induced one. Are they some harbinger for something big? (I.e. This crystal vault is Like finding the Prothean blue-prints for a Reaper-swatter, júst in time to stop The Reapers before they close another 150,000 year cycle in a rather definite manner, like in the game Mass Effect?)

Or is it simply like that vault in Norway, where wé, current man, are storing as much genetic info and material (seeds) as possible for posterity? "Just in case" with everything keyed to óur technology, not really meant for some civilization waaaay in the future.

Interesting.....
but, why 42?
---------------
Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. (S. Clemens)
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

I want a download of this.

It's only accessible by a genetically imprinted Anasazi survivor? No problem. Fry's has everything.

But it uses oauth2 for authentication?

Forget it.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Che sono "Pink Forth"?

An OS?
One of the first object oriented, class structured, programming languages. Started as Forth, but Pink Forth was a better release version
Okay. I googled, but i couldn't find anything relevant.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

txmystic wrote:I want a download of this.

It's only accessible by a genetically imprinted Anasazi survivor? No problem. Fry's has everything.

But it uses oauth2 for authentication?

Forget it.
The ultimate biometric. DNA.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Here's a thought. This is the reason for the quiet zone. The zone protects the crystals from radiation and magnetic effects. Depending on the crystal structure induced currents would easily corrupt data storage. The field could adsorb magnetic and other radiation to convert them to the power needed to run the thing.

I kinda doubt this was left for just anyone. It has security left in it so only Anasazi could use it. Anyone else need not apply.
eee

Post by eee »

Dave wrote:So, what's all this I hear about a Rosetta Scone?
I see what you did there. :D
Dave wrote:Considering how powerful Glyph is as a language, and considering that a good deal of Sumerian is understood... this bilingual screen could be a very dangerous artifact indeed! If Katherine starts mumbling something about Dingir Xul, run!
Kath: "What's this part here say? 'Darkness beyond Twilight, more crimson than the blood that flows...'"

Atsali: "Should you be glowing like that?!?"

:lol:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I recognize three of the four glyphs for the girls. Can't tell who's missing.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote: No - if it is a "Rosetta Stone", Katharine may be able to. (Assuming she can read Sumerian, instead of just recognising it.)
Kathy is right it just looks like sumerian. This is a link how to write in Sumerian and they only look like what Kathy is seeing. This is an earlier version of it, or the two come from the same source back in history.

http://www.carolineludovici.com/learn-h ... iform.html

So a translator will be needed unless she is willing to guess. There are enough similarities that she might.
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

eee wrote:
Dave wrote:Considering how powerful Glyph is as a language, and considering that a good deal of Sumerian is understood... this bilingual screen could be a very dangerous artifact indeed! If Katherine starts mumbling something about Dingir Xul, run!
Kath: "What's this part here say? 'Darkness beyond Twilight, more crimson than the blood that flows...'"

Atsali: "Should you be glowing like that?!?"

:lol:
Dragon Slave isn't something you would want to be throwing around in an enclosed space. Even Lina wouldn't do something that crazy.
Last edited by ChattaStarhawk on Thu May 09, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.