In The Dark 2013-05-07

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
zachariah

Re: In The Dark 2013-05-07

Post by zachariah »

eee wrote: I'm a bit confused about the lighter, though. Maybe Lily handed it over when she gave Kath her phone, as an additional light source. I'd have thought, since the lighter gave out, they'd have tried lighting up the cellphone and seeing what they could see then.
Light was not needed in the niche. Kathy, Sali, and Lilly were clearly able to see inside it without needing lights. The only likely answers are either a sticky fingered Sali brought it back from the chopper. Point for this is we don't know who said the line about the vampire's lighter. By context you can assume either one said it, but I'll bet Sali said it. Or it was given to Kathy by Lilly along with the phone. I lean a lot more toward Sali picking it up in the chopper when she flew it. Why she did is anyone's guess. Unless she grabbed a pack of smokes with it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

only tuesday?????? hm, now where did I put that neck brace, to prevent whiplash from too fast plot changes..... :o :P
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

I had to double check what today was. Only Tuesday and we get a page like this? Makes me worried what cliffhanger I'm gonna be on Friday... >.>

Atsali needs her mouth washed out wish soap, she is far too young to be swearing like that.

Kath is allowed, 1.) She knows how to elongate her swear, 2.) She does it much better and 3.) Did I mention Atsali is far too young? Reminds me of Shilo Labeuf in I, Robot trying to swear, just saying thw words, but not getting it quite right.

I think Kath got that lighter when she was given the cell phone earlier? I need to go back and look.

Also, points for captain obvious hitting the pun jar of "We're in the dark"
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

So here's a random thought, does anyone know when Kathrine's birthday is? :lol: This would have made for one heck of an elaborate surprise party. :D
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

zachariah wrote:I lean a lot more toward Sali picking it up in the chopper when she flew it. Why she did is anyone's guess. Unless she grabbed a pack of smokes with it.
If Sali did that, the lighter could have belonged to one of the soldier tykes, making the 'vampire' attribution pure conjecture.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Sidhekin wrote:
My2Cents wrote:... hang on, how did they light the misfortunate lamp in the mine? (Let's light it.) Did their own lighter spill during the stunts?
I've been wonder this for a while. I suppose it's possible that one of them has a lighter even if they don't smoke (I'm assuming they don't since we've never seen any of the main characters smoking before as far as I can recall) though I'm not sure I'd want Atsali to have one with her while she's in a library full of ancient books..... even if they are indestructible. :o
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Dave

Post by Dave »

GuySmiley wrote:I've been wonder this for a while. I suppose it's possible that one of them has a lighter even if they don't smoke (I'm assuming they don't since we've never seen any of the main characters smoking before as far as I can recall) though I'm not sure I'd want Atsali to have one with her while she's in a library full of ancient books..... even if they are indestructible. :o
Agreed. It would just prove that she wasn't yet mature enough to be entrusted with a bunch of valuable books, if she played with fire while in the stacks and made an ash of her shelf.

(deposits a flammable oil painting of Rae Dawn Chong in the Pun Jar)
Last edited by Dave on Tue May 07, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analyst

Post by analyst »

Dave wrote:(deposits a flammable oil painting of Rae Dawn Chong in the Pun Jar)
You know, Dave (He's not here, man), it's scary how much I understand your sense of humor.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

AmriloJim wrote:
zachariah wrote:I lean a lot more toward Sali picking it up in the chopper when she flew it. Why she did is anyone's guess. Unless she grabbed a pack of smokes with it.
If Sali did that, the lighter could have belonged to one of the soldier tykes, making the 'vampire' attribution pure conjecture.
Not at all. Sali would assume everything in the choppers was the vampire's stuff. So labeling it a vampire lighter would be quiet natural. I doubt she differentiated between the crew men and Lilly. The wording is a bit imprecise so it is very open to interpretation. We have to assume it did not actually come from one of the vampires directly as there was never any contact between them long enough for them to grab it. To me it implies the term is generally applied rather than specific.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
as363

Post by as363 »

Not to seem to confused - but when did Sali have a birthday. She had mentioned in http://wapsisquare.com/comic/i-can-help/ that she was 15. Now she says that she is 16. Or has she decided in her mind that all they went through was worthy of adding a year.

As a side-point - why do I keep hearing the line from a song "I was blinded by the light"
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Kingmaker, not only are we in the dark, but they have pulled the floor out from under us?

(drops a slip rug to satiate the pun jar)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

eee wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Interesting that Katharine seems to be able to identify a vampire by sight - i don't recall Lily saying she was one...
Atsali said Lily was a vampire when Senior Director O made her "One of two last living Anasazi" comment. The Winged One may be able to pick these things up, being somewhat paranormal herself. And Kath just accepts her 'partner' knows what she's talking about.
Ah. Forgot that.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

as363 wrote:Not to seem to confused - but when did Sali have a birthday. She had mentioned in http://wapsisquare.com/comic/i-can-help/ that she was 15. Now she says that she is 16. Or has she decided in her mind that all they went through was worthy of adding a year.

As a side-point - why do I keep hearing the line from a song "I was blinded by the light"
I'm bad. Sometimes I'm just CEGW (Close Enough For Government Work) on the fine details. It happens. You're right she said she was 15 and I don't think she's said differently so far.

Manfred Mann did the best version of it. Drug culture references from the 60's and 70's. Interesting song. But none of the ladies in the strip qualify as Silicon Sisters. Maybe what they see is the Calliope before it collapsed to the ground?
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Atsali is looking upwards as if it is really big.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Kingmaker

Post by Kingmaker »

bmonk wrote:Kingmaker, not only are we in the dark, but they have pulled the floor out from under us?

I'm just glad I can go live in confusion corner... Where the floor is the ceiling, the ceiling is the 4th wall and we have a jar full of random punny stuff.
"But when they said, "Give us a king to lead us," this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the LORD"
1 Samuel 8:6

Sometimes being the Kingmaker is harder than it sounds, especially when people don't know what they are getting into.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Kingmaker wrote:
bmonk wrote:Kingmaker, not only are we in the dark, but they have pulled the floor out from under us?

I'm just glad I can go live in confusion corner... Where the floor is the ceiling, the ceiling is the 4th wall and we have a jar full of random punny stuff.
Yes, well, remember that the enemy's gate is down.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Big statue? Huge stash of gems? ZORDON?? What could it BE?!?
zachariah wrote:Manfred Mann did the best version of it. Drug culture references from the 60's and 70's. Interesting song. But none of the ladies in the strip qualify as Silicon Sisters. Maybe what they see is the Calliope before it collapsed to the ground?
Blinded by the light
Held up like a loofah by the foreman of the night...
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

analyst wrote:
Dave wrote:(deposits a flammable oil painting of Rae Dawn Chong in the Pun Jar)
You know, Dave (He's not here, man), it's scary how much I understand your sense of humor.
FWIW - I saw that movie too.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff