Crystal Spider 2013-05-01

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
NOTDilbert

Crystal Spider 2013-05-01

Post by NOTDilbert »

And along came a spider and sat down beside her and POIT-ed miss Lily away......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DilyV

Re: Crystal Spider 2013-05-01

Post by DilyV »

Okay, wouldn't that be ironic? Soldier kids gone, Lily messes with the crystal spider and gets poited to poits unknown and Suzi gets to relive Lily's tragedy... at least until Brandi poits to or stargates in to rescue her...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Brandy may have come and got 'em - Heh, maybe they get a limo ride.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

My how very convenient that the soldier kids took off on them. Nice way to reduce the number of players if a bit obvious.

Don't touch that spider! You don't know where it's been. Probably preset destination. Looking more like they are all going to the same place to meet the Spider Women. I guess the finale does need witnesses.

I'm liking even more the idea of a Spider Women reboot with Kathy becoming the next one. If we got a reveal of Bia as Shelly;s mom why not a reveal of the Spider Women being Kathy's mom? My dear you are the next Spider Women. Geeze Do I have to mom?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

zachariah wrote:I'm liking even more the idea of a Spider Women reboot with Kathy becoming the next one. If we got a reveal of Bia as Shelly;s mom why not a reveal of the Spider Women being Kathy's mom? My dear you are the next Spider Women. Geeze Do I have to mom?
And her name is Charlotte.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

"The soldier kids! They're gone! And I was saving them for later!"
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I am reminded of what Alice said...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
illiad

Post by illiad »

well if you know your 'stargateSG1' - it could turn into a 'face hugger' :)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

There was an old woman who pondered a spider ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sidhekin wrote:There was an old woman who pondered a spider ...
If only twas bigger then I could go ride her....
Just need a saddle, a blanket, and bridle....
It has eight speeds forward but sadly no idle....

On Sundays she could take it for a spin.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:
Sidhekin wrote:There was an old woman who pondered a spider ...
If only twas bigger then I could go ride her....
Just need a saddle, a blanket, and bridle....
It has eight speeds forward but sadly no idle....

On Sundays she could take it for a spin.
Lily is from Pasadena?

I agree, Opus... "Curiouser and curiouser!". I wonder whether the glyph stone started to change into a crystal spider some time ago, or whether that only happened as a result of Katherine touching it to activate the stargate? If the latter it could indicate that the stargate recognized her... individually, not just as one carrying the general Lanthian/Anasazi genes.

As for the soldier kids... I'd guess that Senior Director Oduya yanked their strings and poited them back to civilization., to keep them from seeing whatever is at Mapimi or Mesa Verde. Although, they might independently have decided that the penalties for insubordination and going AWOL are preferable to serving as emergency survival rations for their team leaders... as to the latter, Corporal Donner said "I'll pass!"
PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

I wonder if Lily is in the same alcove that Katherine was in. Is it possible that there are two alcoves--one for each side of the hour glass? And one big stone triangular "button" that poits from one alcove to the other when someone uses the gate? This idea might explain why Lily's alcove appears to point up. She is now investigating the bottom one. It would also imply that Katherine never saw the crystal spider. It wasn't in her alcove. It might also explain why Lily didn't appear to recognize the alcove for what it was when she was talking with Katherine. She recognizes it now. Maybe the bottom alcove is the simplified controls for people who aren't human slide rules? Just guessing wildly.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

PartTimeRaccoon wrote:I wonder if Lily is in the same alcove that Katherine was in. Is it possible that there are two alcoves--one for each side of the hour glass? And one big stone triangular "button" that poits from one alcove to the other when someone uses the gate? This idea might explain why Lily's alcove appears to point up. She is now investigating the bottom one. It would also imply that Katherine never saw the crystal spider. It wasn't in her alcove. It might also explain why Lily didn't appear to recognize the alcove for what it was when she was talking with Katherine. She recognizes it now. Maybe the bottom alcove is the simplified controls for people who aren't human slide rules? Just guessing wildly.
but then she's forgetting the fact that she JUST talked to Kat when she was in the UPPER alcove, so why would she even be looking in the lower one then?. also her statement about the spider glyph being REPLACED means she's either personally familiar with this specific gate... OR, that ALL the Anasazi Stargates are SUPPOSED to be identical... and this one ISN'T... but i do like the idea of the poiting plug... that would definitely be one security feature that'll be hard to bypass... to move it "conventionally" you would have to destroy the rock AROUND it, thus destroying the gate mechanism itself... and i'll bet there is either an "anti-poiting" effect placed on it, or that the plug MUST be there in order to make the gate work at all (probably has part of the control circuitry running thru it... if it ain't there, the gate fizzles) so you couldn't have someone that can poit things (e.g. like the GG's) just poit it away to gain access to the upper hole... then of, course there is the "security by obscurity" effect... though that has just been rendered null, due to the collapse of the surrounding floors... it's NOT obscured any more...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Crystal Spider.

Okay, so now all we need is some Nazis trying to find the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, and we'll hit on vague references to all of the Indiana Jones movies.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Opus the Poet wrote:I am reminded of what Alice said...
"Curiouser and curiouser..."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

"NO! LILY,DON'T TOUCH IT! IT'S A TRAP!!!!" sez Admiral Ackbar.
*TOUCH*
KA-BOOOOOM!!!!
Or else like the Nazis in a film I won't mention, a wispy cloud comes out, melts Lilys skin and absorbs her.
NAH! Shes 'technically A Good Guy' and that only happens to baddies. ;)
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I know where the soldiers went. They're on the way to Mesa Verde at a dead run. http://wapsisquare.com/comic/taking-charge/ When McBride says move, you move.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Julie

Post by Julie »

So first thought? Were the soldiers even real? I seriously doubt they could have run away fast enough to "disappear" on Suzie, and while the "Brandi poited them away" option is feasible, it seems rather unlikely (to me at least). These guys are supposed to be members of the MiB, so why hide anything from them? I'm sure that the argument of "what is coming is above their pay grade" could apply, but then why send them all on this mission in the first place?

So yeah...I think that they were dummies...or maybe even shadow creations of our little friend Tsillah...but I don't think there really ever were any soldiers there now.

*wanders off to Confusion Corner to await being proved wrong...as usual*
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

jwhouk wrote:Crystal Spider.

Okay, so now all we need is some Nazis trying to find the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, and we'll hit on vague references to all of the Indiana Jones movies.
The collapsing building is a reference to the collapsing temple in the grail. Likewise the fire. The falling Mine cart refers to the falling out of an airplane in an inflatable life raft. The lost dolls instead of an ark and we've got them all covered.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote: I agree, Opus... "Curiouser and curiouser!". I wonder whether the glyph stone started to change into a crystal spider some time ago, or whether that only happened as a result of Katherine touching it to activate the stargate? If the latter it could indicate that the stargate recognized her... individually, not just as one carrying the general Lanthian/Anasazi genes.
I would lean toward Kathy's touch caused the change. Checking the other strips with interior views there is no sign of the crystal spider. That indicates it probably was not there before. Important minor details in the scenery have always been drawn before and you can spot them by looking at the past strips. So this change should be recent.
If it changed in response to Kathy then touching it might be a bad idea. Any other touch but the right one just may cause a security alert in the gate and who knows what it will do.